IGNORED

Will they ever make a non portable TV only Switch console?

Bonkey Kong

It seems like it’s only a matter of time — they made non folding non 3D version of the 3DS. I know of at least one person who claims to be waiting for a TV-only Switch. 

Are you one of them too? It takes away the most interesting part of the Switch in my opinion, and like the “lite,” makes the name a little meaningless. The screen doesn’t add that much to the cost of the thing. 

Maybe when they make a more powerful follow up, it will be a lower-cost, cut-down option, like the 2DS was to the 3DS. 

• Like 2

You mean a Wii U. That’s probably why.

Also, because they combined both markets into one when they created the Switch. If you look at the losses they took financially over the past 20 years it was always in the home console space. I can’t imagine them wanting to go down that road again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, godslabrat said:

I, personally, would be interested in a lower-cost TV-only switch. Or the same cost but with notably better features.

it would have to give me some advantage though.  I don't use the portability much, but I like it being there.

I'm kind of in this boat with my v2 Switch in that if Ninty offered one that was like this I'd preorder in a heartbeat.    Having both a 'full size' and a Lite model, the Lite really works better for me for a portable system.

That being said, 90% of my Switch gaming time is done on the living room or our bedroom TV so a dedicated console would suit my needs better.  Beefier video and built-in Ethernet would be a bonus. ;)

• Like 2

Much as I would be interested in this for my own personal needs, I don't see nintendo going this route.  The flexibility of the switch seems to be baked into the idea.  I'm amazed they ever did the lite, but I think the need to have a pocketable portable overruled "branding" that time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The fact that I just won't use the portable capability is a big reason why I have not purchased a Switch.  I'd hesitate to say that I am "waiting" for that specifically, but I would be more interested in a TV only version.

This is why I’ve sold my switch and held on to my Wii U. That and the Virtual console. I was definitely the target audience for the Wii U. I’m not a fan of how Nintendo chooses to handle their current online offering. I think the price is fine, but the lack of choice is not. If they would create a real virtual console with their full back catalog available for purchase then I’d be on board.
  • Like 2

I rarely ever use the Switch as a "portable", but it doesn't really bother me one way or the other.

Well...except that having it ALWAYS in suspend mode and ALWAYS charging the battery is kind of annoying. They made it so difficult to power down the Switch that I never do it, so it spends most of its life in a "dead battery" state =(

Unless there's a secret way to do it that I don't know about?

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Asaki said:

I rarely ever use the Switch as a "portable", but it doesn't really bother me one way or the other.

Well...except that having it ALWAYS in suspend mode and ALWAYS charging the battery is kind of annoying. They made it so difficult to power down the Switch that I never do it, so it spends most of its life in a "dead battery" state =(

Unless there's a secret way to do it that I don't know about?

That seems like odd charging behavior, but only from my experience with our Switches.  If it's docked, yes, it's in 'suspend', but as far as I could tell it wasn't draining the battery or charging past full charge.  For me, the concept of not turning off my Switch was a paradigm shift that I eventually just got used to, lol.

Is yours using battery when docked?

• Like 1

I am not a hand held person....but I like the Switch. To me, because the thing sits under my TV ALL OF THE TIME...... It's a dumb design in my eyes. I use it as a home console..... and it looks nothing like one. 

I would be down with a console only Switch. 

Maybe that would be the Switch Pro. If you have a Switch already...... it can act as a second screen to the Pro whether you have original, Lite, or OLED..... then take it a step further and you could connect 3 more Switches to it for 4 player in room gaming.

That wouldn't surprise me at all if it happened.

Edited by sn8k
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, digdugnate said:

Is yours using battery when docked?

It uses electricity when it's not docked, so I don't see why it wouldn't use electricity when it is docked.

We usually keep it unplugged because we never play it. I do that with a lot of stuff around the house.

WiiU gamepad is the same way. Even when it's turned off, it uses power, and will die if not kept on the charger.

On 8/13/2021 at 1:29 PM, MrBeefy said:

That sounds like a bad battery. Hm.

Why would the battery be bad? That's how suspend works.

A lot of devices these days just go into suspend instead of completely powering down, otherwise you wouldn't be able to turn them back on with a wireless remote.

Some devices, like the Wii and the 3DS, keep the wireless Internet working in suspend mode, so they can look for updates and stuff.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2021 at 9:12 PM, Asaki said:

Why would the battery be bad? That's how suspend works.

A lot of devices these days just go into suspend instead of completely powering down, otherwise you wouldn't be able to turn them back on with a wireless remote.

Some devices, like the Wii and the 3DS, keep the wireless Internet working in suspend mode, so they can look for updates and stuff.

I thought it was losing charge when docked. My bad. 

Cool to see a few others here would be interested in a console version.

For me currently, there is no point in buying a Switch since I do not want a handheld portable Switch at all and I do not like the idea of having a handheld that I will never use just to keep it docked 100% of the time.

I would purchase a Switch TV console only version for sure if they ever released it.

• Like 2

On 8/18/2021 at 1:09 PM, Bonkey Kong said:

Cool to see a few others here would be interested in a console version.

For me currently, there is no point in buying a Switch since I do not want a handheld portable Switch at all and I do not like the idea of having a handheld that I will never use just to keep it docked 100% of the time.

I would purchase a Switch TV console only version for sure if they ever released it.

There is one thing you might not have considered. No long is there a need for a break for the bathroom. ;)

I really didn't know how much we would play it in handheld. However, household make up could affect that. I know I haven't been able to game like I have on the Switch. I think for me it helps that I can play it both ways. Sometimes I just don't want a small screen and other times I just want to play.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Sometimes I just don't want a small screen and other times I just want to play.

Yeah, sometimes I'll play it handheld if I'm too lazy or if the TV's occupied (especially if it's just Animal Crossing), but the joycons are pretty uncomfortable for me, so I'd prefer not to.

It's also the reason why I'm still hoping for Netflix/Prime apps on Switch. I use my PS4 almost only for that (and Blu-rays) but it sucks having to pause for a bathroom or coffee break.

My phone has the same size screen as a Switch and I can’t see myself using that feature. Now playing games on the toilet, sure. My phone is also waterproof so I can continue my Netflixing in the shower.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had never even thought of a TV only Switch. At first I wasn't sure what the point would be but as above, if they released this surprise drop on the cheap I am sure it would fly out.

We have a Switch, had it for about two years. I was getting very little time on it lately (it's my Son's) and I just picked up an "unwanted gift" lite of someone for only £100 all BNIB. What I will say is this is the console that I didn't even know I needed!

Not only have I moved copies of near my entire library over to it for no charge but I am now able to pick this up and find more time to play. If everyones occupied, I can just whip it out! Before, the TV was only free in the evening and I am getting less and less time during then. It's also surprisingly way more comfortable to hold than the regular Switch.

• Like 2