Bonkey Kong

What is one thing you would like to change about the Amico and why?

Communication. 😕 Amico could be another Playdate, generating positive energy and curiosity. Both consoles feature unique and interesting controllers. However, I find many things regarding the communication and marketing around Amico off-putting. Maybe this will change... 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Lusorius said:

Communication. 😕 Amico could be another Playdate, generating positive energy and curiosity. Both consoles feature unique and interesting controllers. However, I find many things regarding the communication and marketing around Amico off-putting. Maybe this will change... 

I'll second this.

• Like 4

I would change that it's not out yet. :( As much as the rollercoaster has been hilarious, a sizeable part of me still wants one.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

As much as the rollercoaster has been hilarious, a sizeable part of me still wants one.

I don't want to preorder one currently but I wish it comes out (even though it is fascinating to see all these issues). I could be really the target group since I have young nephews with whom I play and easy pick-up local multiplayer games could be ideal. However, it is difficult to have confidence in Amico currently + even if it is out, the price does not seem to match the quality. But I wish Amico the best. 

• Like 1

I would tell them to go study Panic and take some tips in the running of the Playdate.

It is a niche product but seems to have sold way more preorders than Amico in the same time frame. What they are doing is working.

• Like 2

Limiting the number of game releases.  I could be wrong, but I seem to recall the releases being very limited, allowing each title to have a “spotlight” in the store front for a bit, and not have to fight for attention with the others. 

This is really the only thing I've seen that I absolutely don’t like.  Remember when Nintendo would add 3 titles to the shop every Monday on Wii, and how every Monday always brought out the disappointment and cries of “nobody wants this crap... just release the damn library and let us choose what we want to buy”

The more the merrier, even if 90% of it is shovelware (those games can find a fanbase, too).  Consumers may bitch about having to pan through that river of shit to find the golden nugget, but that level of quantity and choice is largely a part of what helps makes something like Youtube, Steam, and Switch such success stories.

I'd say change the all games have to be family friendly aspect. I don't know why you'd wanna limit the games that's on the console you can have beat em up style games or horror movie type games like Dracula. Never played the original one so not sure what it's like.  

Didn't they mention a reimagining of Dracula by the way? It's probably doable with cartoon violence, but the rating system for video games is broken anyway, imho.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SegaSnatcher said:

Have Nick Richards do all PR going forward.   I think his approach works better. 

Yeah using the YouTube friends doesn't seem to be helping. I really thought they had people hired to do that, but I might be mistaken.

• Like 4

On 8/12/2021 at 5:54 AM, Oneinchbiceps said:

I'd say change the all games have to be family friendly aspect. I don't know why you'd wanna limit the games that's on the console you can have beat em up style games or horror movie type games like Dracula. Never played the original one so not sure what it's like.  

I don't want to come in and shit up your thread, but there is an easy answer to this thought. If people could get past the messenger/s and to the message, Intellivision wants games that are E10 or less, because they believe this will help market the system to Soccer Moms and Grandparents. Anyone can argue if it's a good idea or not, but Tommy and his fans have been perfectly clear why they don't want those types of games. I think about 500 pages back in the massive thread, Tommy was receptive to beat 'em ups that were cartoony or robots, I can't remember. Think '80s Nintendo taken to the extreme.

It's all about saying that this system is safe for parents to trust with their children. I know people like to hold up the Swtich as already doing what Amico wishes to do, but over the weekend my family (Wife, Daughter 9, and Son 7) were browsing through the eShop looking for a couch co-op game. Don't get me wrong, there were some and we ended up buying two (I wish they had a separate genre tab that pulled those out because we had to go through about 700 games like fortnight that were single player on one switch), but do you know how many thumbnails were showcasing Anime tits? Now this experience wasn't as bad as people in the past have made it seem, but we also didn't go into those pages to see screenshots. I wonder what we would have seen and if it would be appropriate if my son was browsing around. And I'm not a prude. They have watched British TV that has no problem with nudity if it's appropriate. Sure they giggled and laughed when they saw their first bum on TV, but it was very easy to say that it's natural and nothing to be ashamed of. Unfortunately, the Anime thumbnails I mentioned earlier were the exact opposite--hyper sexualized. I have no problem with it existing, but I don't want it in my kids face. Amico promises to respect my wishes.

Crap I hit submit before writing the next paragraph. Here it is.

I know I mentioned sexual content, but it's also the violent that I'm concerned with. I am looking forward to the Grand Theft Auto remake heading for the Switch, but do I want my kids playing it? I don't have a problem beating up whores for cash, but I don't want my kids playing that mess. With Amico I don't have to worry.

I wish Tommy wasn't so against pixelated or retro looks, because when I think of '80s Nintendo's library, there are few games I'd have a problem with. We've have a blast playing Double Dragon 2 and Mighty Final Fight together. I also don't have a problem with Golden Axe on the Genesis. As a parent, I'd love to see a game like a TMNT beat 'em up on Amico and find it completely appropriate. I'd personally have no problem with Street Fighter 2, but with Amico, I don't have to ever worry about content like Mortal Kombat.

1 hour ago, JasperAK said:

I don't want to come in and shit up your thread, but there is an easy answer to this thought. If people could get past the messenger/s and to the message, Intellivision wants games that are E10 or less, because they believe this will help market the system to Soccer Moms and Grandparents. Anyone can argue if it's a good idea or not, but Tommy and his fans have been perfectly clear why they don't want those types of games. I think about 500 pages back in the massive thread, Tommy was receptive to beat 'em ups that were cartoony or robots, I can't remember. Think '80s Nintendo taken to the extreme.

It's all about saying that this system is safe for parents to trust with their children. I know people like to hold up the Swtich as already doing what Amico wishes to do, but over the weekend my family (Wife, Daughter 9, and Son 7) were browsing through the eShop looking for a couch co-op game. Don't get me wrong, there were some and we ended up buying two (I wish they had a separate genre tab that pulled those out because we had to go through about 700 games like fortnight that were single player on one switch), but do you know how many thumbnails were showcasing Anime tits? Now this experience wasn't as bad as people in the past have made it seem, but we also didn't go into those pages to see screenshots. I wonder what we would have seen and if it would be appropriate if my son was browsing around. And I'm not a prude. They have watched British TV that has no problem with nudity if it's appropriate. Sure they giggled and laughed when they saw their first bum on TV, but it was very easy to say that it's natural and nothing to be ashamed of. Unfortunately, the Anime thumbnails I mentioned earlier were the exact opposite--hyper sexualized. I have no problem with it existing, but I don't want it in my kids face. Amico promises to respect my wishes.

I know I mentioned sexual content, but it's also the violent that I'm concerned with. I am looking forward to the Grand Theft Auto remake heading for the Switch, but do I want my kids playing it? I don't have a problem beating up whores for cash, but I don't want my kids playing that mess. With Amico I don't have to worry.

I wish Tommy wasn't so against pixelated or retro looks, because when I think of '80s Nintendo's library, there are few games I'd have a problem with. We've have a blast playing Double Dragon 2 and Mighty Final Fight together. I also don't have a problem with Golden Axe on the Genesis. As a parent, I'd love to see a game like a TMNT beat 'em up on Amico and find it completely appropriate. I'd personally have no problem with Street Fighter 2, but with Amico, I don't have to ever worry about content like Mortal Kombat.

Yeah, that's kind of their "foundation," and I agree that's definitely the answer.  But since it's a "what would you like to change" type of topic, no harm in laying it all out there.

Personally, I think would have been better if they were able to appease all camps by implementing better, more intuitive parental controls that would allow a wider variety of games, at least from a rating perspective, while still being able to guarantee whichever version of safe environment the parent wants to have, instead of drawing such a hard line.  I don't personally care one way or the other, but different parents have different views, so it seems the magic ticket to winning over all camps would be to build the better mousetrap, so to speak.  

Some parents don't like cartoon boobies, as you mentioned, but have no problem beating the shit out of women with a baseball bat (double dragon) or slicing through a few dozen people with a giant ax (Golden Ax)

Some parents don't mind the cartoon boobies, but draw the line at the violent stuffs.

Me... I'm only worried about this pole dancing/twerking mascot they're using.  Seems to be a gateway to Cardi B.   And that's where I draw the line.  😉

IntelliTwerk.jpg.4ae375d19ff14a90c9ea861ec18c8b0f.jpg

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

Yeah, that's kind of their "foundation," and I agree that's definitely the answer.  But since it's a "what would you like to change" type of topic, no harm in laying it all out there.

Personally, I think would have been better if they were able to appease all camps by implementing better, more intuitive parental controls that would allow a wider variety of games, at least from a rating perspective, while still being able to guarantee whichever version of safe environment the parent wants to have, instead of drawing such a hard line.  I don't personally care one way or the other, but different parents have different views, so it seems the magic ticket to winning over all camps would be to build the better mousetrap, so to speak.  

Some parents don't like cartoon boobies, as you mentioned, but have no problem beating the shit out of women with a baseball bat (double dragon) or slicing through a few dozen people with a giant ax (Golden Ax)

Some parents don't mind the cartoon boobies, but draw the line at the violent stuffs.

Me... I'm only worried about this pole dancing/twerking mascot they're using.  Seems to be a gateway to Cardi B.   And that's where I draw the line.  😉

IntelliTwerk.jpg.4ae375d19ff14a90c9ea861ec18c8b0f.jpg

I agree. The lack of controls on the Switch is why it will be long time before the kids are able to go through the store themselves.

16 hours ago, JasperAK said:

I can see where that would be appealing to have a totally family friendly console for younger family members. I just don't think it's good to draw a line and say nothing above "Everyone" is allowed on the console.

Just a suggestion to resolve the problem you bring up how about this? Intellivision e shop should be section off by rating. Make the rating sections for each level of ratings and anything higher then the rating "Everyone" you'll need the parents pin or whatever to get past that point. Work that in to the original bootup like Nintendo does with their parental controls. 

I really wasn't looking for anything too crazy violent on the Amico. It just doesn't seem like something like a new Dracula would fit into the guidelines for the Amico. 

• Like 1

Yes, parents controlling what's on the system with simple tags. Like Razzie.P said, parents are going to have different standards for what content is allowable for their family. I'm not going to say the kids are going to age out of the Amico, but I think the Amico's restricted content will hold it back a little bit. We love playing co-op/competitive beat 'em ups and action games, so they'll be fine with Cloudy Mountain and Night Stalker. But like I mentioned earlier, we also play games like Golden Axe, Double Dragon, and TMNT. I have no problem with the retro, cartoony, pixelated violence. It seems like we we'll have problems getting games like that.

So that's what I'd change. Let me parent. Give me the tools to control what gets into my house. Don't parent for me. I love what I see in Amico, but that doesn't mean it's perfect. If Intellivision delivers what's been promised, Amico will have a place in my house.

And to be clear, I thought E10 was the line not Everyone.

I know Tommy wants the Amico to be a happy happy family friendly console only, but he needs to loosen up on all the self imposed constricting limitations and focus more time and effort to the potential retro and "hardcore" gamer customers.

Most parents out there are smart enough to keep tabs on what their kids are doing when it comes to video games and they don't need Intellivision to babysit their kids for them.  Tommy seems to think that parental controls are too complex for "moms" to wrap their heads around, but that is so far from the truth that it's laughable.

Intellivision needs to put a cartridge port on the side of the console to play original Intellivision cartridges.  It's ok to make reimagined games, but also make original Intellivision games available for sale on the store front.  Then program in parental controls for the people who want them, make them optional for those who don't.  This will bring in more customers because there are way more OG retro nerds like myself and those supposed "hardcore" gamers interested in something like the Amico than the over protective soccer moms who want Intellivision to raise their kids for them out there.

It'll probably never come to fruition, but Intellivision is squandering another good opportunity here.

• Like 1

I personally see nothing wrong with the E10 restriction. Many great games fit in that category or lower.

I think what will hurt more is a limited number of games. It seems like money is an issue right now in getting the console manufactured. Only releasing 2 games a week is going to limit their income. You will not have an attachment rate of 100%.

So fewer games means less revenue. If there is a game released one week that people aren't interested in that's going to be a blow to monthly revenue.

So if I would change anything I would change the idea of only releasing games once every two weeks. If the game is done they need it in the store to generate money. Not waiting on the sideline not earning money.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

I personally see nothing wrong with the E10 restriction. Many great games fit in that category or lower.

I think what will hurt more is a limited number of games. It seems like money is an issue right now in getting the console manufactured. Only releasing 2 games a week is going to limit their income. You will not have an attachment rate of 100%.

So fewer games means less revenue. If there is a game released one week that people aren't interested in that's going to be a blow to monthly revenue.

So if I would change anything I would change the idea of only releasing games once every two weeks. If the game is done they need it in the store to generate money. Not waiting on the sideline not earning money.

Yeah, that's pretty much my "one thing to change" as well.  On paper, it may seem great to allow each game to "have the spotlight" for a while, but from what I've seen here in the ol' real world, that usually ends up with a lot of "welp, nothing that interests me this week, guess I'll turn this thing back off for a bit and check again next time."

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

Yeah, that's pretty much my "one thing to change" as well.  On paper, it may seem great to allow each game to "have the spotlight" for a while, but from what I've seen here in the ol' real world, that usually ends up with a lot of "welp, nothing that interests me this week, guess I'll turn this thing back off for a bit and check again next time."

Yeah it isn't like their library of games is huge either. Maybe down the line that would be good depending on their library size.

I know people complain about game shops that can feel overwhelming, but there's also something to be said for having a wide variety of games too. I think most people want a happy medium. I just think it's important for them to start earning money.

• Like 1

I mentioned this before, I would offer a $99 dollar version of the amico that just uses your existing cellphones as the controllers. Its turning out these controllers arent anything that special and that phones actually have some features the controllers dont, so why not just cut to the chase 

I understand what you mean but I'm not sure selling something that can't be used alone would be a good option. Imagine if people buy the console then realize their phone is running a version of Android too old for the Amico controller app...

Edited by roots.genoa
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Imagine if people buy the console then realize their phone is running a version of Android too old for the Amico controller app...

why, all you have to do is put on the box and site what android versions are needed. PC games do this for every single game with min specs needed.