IGNORED

Atari VCS Store Order Number High-Score :)

Mockduck

On 8/10/2021 at 1:33 PM, Mockduck said:

I noticed that my first purchase through the Atari VCS Store in December 20th, 2020 was listed as order number 623 on the receipt, 

On 10/31/2021 at 2:45 PM, tripled79 said:

Bought Dark Chambers today.

Order number: 9981

we're almost at 10,000!

7 hours ago, Leonard Smith said:

If these numbers really represent the actual number of sales, that's a bit and concerning.
Only 15,000 digital sales over 2 years?

The cynic in me is more impressed than anything- I never expected them to make it that far.

The skeptic in me wonders if they started padding the numbers. It took about ten months to hit 10k sales, but only 2 more months and they're at 15k? Sure there's more games and a holiday sale, but the userbase can't possibly be that big...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, toiletunes said:

The cynic in me is more impressed than anything- I never expected them to make it that far.

The skeptic in me wonders if they started padding the numbers. It took about ten months to hit 10k sales, but only 2 more months and they're at 15k? Sure there's more games and a holiday sale, but the userbase can't possibly be that big...

I don't think they are padding the numbers. I bet the sales jump is a reflection of the holiday sale and console sales over the holidays. Maybe it was just a few hundred units but if they bought a bunch of games combined with the Flashback Friday series juicing the numbers and the 30% off extended sale that'd do it.

19 hours ago, Leonard Smith said:

If these numbers really represent the actual number of sales, that's a bit and concerning.

It hasn't been 2 years.  

It first shipped to backers just over a year ago (Dec 2020).     It went on sale to the general public in summer 2021,  and there was an uptick in sales over the Christmas season with various deals.

Still 15,000 sales isn't huge

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zzip said:

It hasn't been 2 years.  

It first shipped to backers just over a year ago (Dec 2020).     It went on sale to the general public in summer 2021,  and there was an uptick in sales over the Christmas season with various deals.

Still 15,000 sales isn't huge

Not huge at all.  This may be confirmation that its mostly us OGs that are slowly coming around and buying the VCS.  I purchased mine when they went on sale for $250 at Micro Center and I've purchased quite a few games since.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Leonard Smith said:

The other thing is, the revenue stream from these purchases is likely not that great.
Between the low asking price of most games and fixed costs such as licensing, hosting and so forth, there's probably not much of a profit margin in there for Atari SA (or whatever they're known as today).

But that increase in sales shows that ATARI are starting to do the right things regarding the VCS.

There's more likes and comments on ATARI's social media accounts than before too.

When ATARI XP announce their first 7800, Lynx, or Jag game (ATARI have confirmed in the discovery section of ATARI XP that they are developing games for all of their legacy systems) I think even more people will become interested in the VCS.

The Howard Scott Warshaw interview on the ATARI XP website is also worth a read.

I think ATARI will get more people onto the VCS this year.

1 hour ago, Gunther said:

But that increase in sales shows that ATARI are starting to do the right things regarding the VCS.

There's more likes and comments on ATARI's social media accounts than before too.

When ATARI XP announce their first 7800, Lynx, or Jag game (ATARI have confirmed in the discovery section of ATARI XP that they are developing games for all of their legacy systems) I think even more people will become interested in the VCS.

The Howard Scott Warshaw interview on the ATARI XP website is also worth a read.

I think ATARI will get more people onto the VCS this year.

Yep, lots of positive developments and interest all around.

Whether or not that translates into increased adoption of the VCS (and more digital purchases) remains to be seen.
The hardware is relatively pricey (from a game console standpoint) with some growing pains, so it's entirely possible that there are many others like myself who are still on the fence and waiting to jump in.

On 1/17/2022 at 2:24 PM, Leonard Smith said:

Technically it's been just a little over a year since these went to backers in December 2020 and retail launch was in June '21... so a ways away from 2 years. But they are still low numbers even for a year.

6 hours ago, Leonard Smith said:

Yep, lots of positive developments and interest all around.

Whether or not that translates into increased adoption of the VCS (and more digital purchases) remains to be seen.
The hardware is relatively pricey (from a game console standpoint) with some growing pains, so it's entirely possible that there are many others like myself who are still on the fence and waiting to jump in.

It's cheaper then a 2600, 5200, 7800, and physical versions of all the games available on those platforms and the VCS, plus a CRT if you want to go full-retro.

It's also a neater way of playing those games on a modern TV, and it allows me to preserve my physical games.

I'm hoping the ATARI XP releases have a SD-copy too so I can still play it on my 7800.

Edited by Gunther

Just now, Gunther said:

It's cheaper then a 2600, 5200, 7800, and all of the games available on those platforms and the VCS, plus a CRT if you want to go full-retro.

It's also a neater way of playing those games on a modern TV.

Agreed there.  Perhaps they should use this comparison in their marketing.

But the current price point is right up there with a PS5, Switch and Xbox Series S/X (depending on which configuration).
It's a lot to ask for considering it's not one of the 'big 3' consoles.  

Those who grew up playing Atari consoles understand and see the value, but younger buyers might not.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...