IGNORED

Saving Every Sega Genesis Manual On The Internet

VGComplete

I've compiled a list of every missing Sega Genesis game manual online here (To my knowledge):

https://www.vgcomplete.com/missing

If anyone has any of any of the listed manuals, please feel free to reach out to me. We're 80% of the way there with all the work the contributors at SegaRetro have done, but things have really slowed down. 

I'm doing what I can to contribute & buying up every manual I can online but having a few helping hands wouldn't hurt! 

We’ve already gotten 11 previously un-archived manuals uploaded / secured & being prepared for upload just within the last week, with many more expected on the way, but we’ll need a lot of help to complete this!

Don’t let these little booklets disappear in time ?

Edited by VGComplete

I finally figured out how to print my own repro instruction manuals correctly, doublesided and putting the correct pages on the backs of the correct pages. It involves a lot of art editing as most scans leave the staple intact and put the pages in sequential order instead of the way they are on paper. Still it is not too difficult. You just have to re-order the pages.

So far all I have made is a black and white NES Donkey Kong manual but some day I will get a Color laser printer and some glossy paper to make them right.

It will be great to be able to print my own manuals instead of worrying if a game comes with it. In fact maybe with Sega Saturn, Sega CD and Playstation Longbox I could just shrink them to fit inside a DVD case.

Edited by TheGameCollector

1 hour ago, TheGameCollector said:

It involves a lot of art editing as most scans leave the staple intact and put the pages in sequential order instead of the way they are on paper. Still it is not too difficult. You just have to re-order the pages.

If you can keep them in PDF format, most PDF readers have a "booklet" print option that will print them correctly without having to re-order the pages manually.

2 hours ago, Asaki said:

If you can keep them in PDF format, most PDF readers have a "booklet" print option that will print them correctly without having to re-order the pages manually.

That only works if the PDF pages are composed of individual manual pages. Often times each PDF page is actually two facing manual pages.

I have Road Blasters in physical form - the game came in both plastic clamshell and cardboard box variants, I think one came with a color manual (or at least the cover was in color) and one came with a b+w manual. I have the b+w manual.  I'm not equipped to scan things right now but maybe down the line I can help out if no one else has gotten to it by then.

I used to have Puggsy, Kid Chameleon and Race Drivin too, but sold those games (and their manuals) on a couple of years ago...

I have (I think):

Bubsy II

Cosmic Spacehead
Crüe Ball (on the way)

Frank Thomas Big Hurt Baseball

Generations Lost

Outlander

Pete Sampras Tennis

Pocahontas

Puggsy

X-Perts

I had Funny Boy/Balloon Fight too.

There’s no manual for Jessie Jaeger in Cleopatra’s Curse yet because physical games haven’t been made yet.

Thanks everyone! I've sent PMs to everyone who offered to help.

11 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Are you also planning on preserving Japanese or European Mega Drive manuals or just Genesis manuals?

It's out of my scope for the moment. While I'm getting a lot of help, a lot of current missing docs were purchased and scanned by me. I'll continue to do that for the NTSC-U collection as needed to keep up the momentum. I wouldn't be able to give Mega Drive the same treatment.

However, I'm translating any Mega Drive manual that I feel like is recognized as something NTSC-U markets missed out on:
https://www.vgcomplete.com/translations

Edited by VGComplete

41 minutes ago, VGComplete said:

Thanks everyone! I've sent PMs to everyone who offered to help.

It's out of my scope for the moment. While I'm getting a lot of help, a lot of current missing docs were purchased and scanned by me. I'll continue to do that for the NTSC-U collection as needed to keep up the momentum. I wouldn't be able to give Mega Drive the same treatment.

However, I'm translating any Mega Drive manual that I feel like is recognized as something NTSC-U markets missed out on:
https://www.vgcomplete.com/translations

Alright, interesting. Gleylancer's translation looks a bit rough... lots of signs of a machine translation in there. I do have both an original 1992 copy of Gleylancer and the 2019 rerelease of Gleylancer. I love that game and my Japanese isn't too terrible, so I suppose I can edit it or check it for you if you want or something.

40 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Alright, interesting. Gleylancer's translation looks a bit rough... lots of signs of a machine translation in there. I do have both an original 1992 copy of Gleylancer and the 2019 rerelease of Gleylancer. I love that game and my Japanese isn't too terrible, so I suppose I can edit it or check it for you if you want or something.

Interesting. I didn't do that one myself, but if it looks rough that's good to know. If you have a list of edits I would 100% re-write it. 

My personal ones are Alien Solider and King Colossus and I think they're in pretty good shape.

If any of the other translations look rough let me know because I can add those to the list of things to take care of.

Edited by VGComplete

On 8/15/2021 at 6:55 PM, jeremiahjt said:

I see you still need Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel. My local game store just got a copy with manual in. Unfortunately they want around $250 for it.

I think Hard Drivin' was the only manual I have that you need.

I went by today and they actually have Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel priced at $229.99. So if everybody wants to kick in I will buy the game and get that manual scanned.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VGComplete said:

Interesting. I didn't do that one myself, but if it looks rough that's good to know. If you have a list of edits I would 100% re-write it. 

My personal ones are Alien Solider and King Colossus and I think they're in pretty good shape.

If any of the other translations look rough let me know because I can add those to the list of things to take care of.

Alright, I'll take a look when I get some time. Gleylancer is definitely pretty rough for sure. I looked through some of the others as well, but they looked pretty decent. I'll take a look again when I get a chance.

1 hour ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Alright, I'll take a look when I get some time. Gleylancer is definitely pretty rough for sure. I looked through some of the others as well, but they looked pretty decent. I'll take a look again when I get a chance.

Alright, I took a look at Gleylancer's translation again. I think it honestly needs a complete re-do, as it's pretty much a giant mess. I'll see what I can do with it.

1 hour ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Alright, I took a look at Gleylancer's translation again. I think it honestly needs a complete re-do, as it's pretty much a giant mess. I'll see what I can do with it.

Good to know. I never read the manual and assumed it was high quality due to the seller. I’d redo the whole thing if you can provide copy. 

3 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

I went by today and they actually have Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel priced at $229.99. So if everybody wants to kick in I will buy the game and get that manual scanned.

I’d fund it 100% + shipping if you send me the game so I could scan the manual, but I’d keep it after of course. You wouldn’t get much out of it, but it would allow us to backup the game online if you’re interested in helping. 

Edited by VGComplete

12 hours ago, VGComplete said:

I’d fund it 100% + shipping if you send me the game so I could scan the manual, but I’d keep it after of course. You wouldn’t get much out of it, but it would allow us to backup the game online if you’re interested in helping. 

I need to check out the condition next time I am there.

Well I tried working out a deal for the Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel manual for VGComplete, but the store wants $149 just for the manual because there was a sale that amount recently on eBay.  Who knows if that sale was legitimate, but the store is dead set on that amount.  I have a feeling that game and manual are going to sit in that store for quite a while.

• Thanks 1