IGNORED

The 2600 Connection newsletter?

Cobra Kai

Back in the late 80's, early 90's I was a subscriber of a fan made gaming magazine, it was basically a few photocopied pages sent in the mail in a typical letter envelope. I think it was called The 2600 Connection. I wish I had saved them, it was like an early version of a blog, except before the internet. 

Anyone remember this? Is the author a member here? If so thanks for that bit of fandom way back then, when it was very scarce.

• 2 months later...

I'm looking at these 8bits screenshots (I followed the link https://timduarte.blogspot.com posted by littaum) and I still cant figure out how I am able to compensate the lack of colors and resolution with pure imagination 24/7 non-stop. This is dangerous, I need to keep in mind that the youngest wont forgive us if we deliver old graphics in our games... I wish they were at the age of 8 like us when the first video game consoles invaded the home of friends who had rich parents. They would then understand what a revolution we've been living in for more than 40 years, and why we love these crude sprites.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/29/2021 at 7:27 PM, gilsaluki said:

Great newsletter that got me initially into the 2600.  Thanks Tim.  He published the first 50 issues.  I think it went on to 100 issues. Still available for sale. Fascinating reading.  Great bit of history.

I was a big 7800 and 2600 guy in those days (got the 2600 in ‘81 and the 7800 I think in ‘89). 

I wish I had known about this newsletter at the time. How did you find out about it? I’m wondering if I should buy the book.  

10 hours ago, 6502wrangler said:

I was a big 7800 and 2600 guy in those days (got the 2600 in ‘81 and the 7800 I think in ‘89). 

I wish I had known about this newsletter at the time. How did you find out about it? I’m wondering if I should buy the book.  

I was thumbing through a nationally distributed Gaming Magazine back in 1992 or so (when I picked up a 7800 with 75 games for $75 from a pawn shop).  I send for a sample newsletter.  I subscribed from that point.  I only subscribed to the 50 issue Mr. Duarte published.  The coolest thing he did in those issues was to review every game by company.   He covered the entire catalog of games, up to that point in time.  It was fascinating reading a great gaming historical chronicling of the Atari 2600 games.  

• 3 weeks later...

I have the entire run of The 2600 Connection and even wrote a few articles for it. I'm the one who discovered one oddity Easter egg for Crazy Climber.

Fun fact: a friend of mine had 3 Crazy Climber cartridges pass through his hands. The one he kept is a working prototype from Best Electronics.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tempest said:

A prototype?  Is it different from the final?

Not that I can remember. He has been happy with it. On that note, I had traded someone for Sinistar and Quadrun prototypes and aside from Sinistar still being probably incomplete as it probably was then, it was playable. Quadrun was complete with digital audio sample.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/13/2023 at 6:36 PM, Atari Dogs said:

I found my old copies of the 2600 connection cleaning out my parents house.  I think I saw copies from 1991 to 1996.  I did not know Tim printed them.  Great job, buddy.

I bought the entire run in the spiral-bound collection from a member here about fifteen years ago. Great stuff.

I'd like to get a copy of that spiral bound edition. I'm sure plenty of people here would. PDF perhaps?

Did anyone read Zaphodium Magazinum? Early 1980's. BBS stuff, HHGTTG, games, etc. Published the same way by a local kid. I think it only went to Phoenix readers.

Edited by Zonie

On 8/6/2023 at 9:57 PM, Zonie said:

I'd like to get a copy of that spiral bound edition. I'm sure plenty of people here would.

Please visit my web site ordering page at:

https://timduarte.blogspot.com/2021/08/buy-all-issues-of-2600-connection.html

Also you can send me a private message here on Atari Age if you have any questions

thanks,

Tim D.

• Like 1