IGNORED

Atari 65XE almost here!

oo7

Its almost here!

Hopefully it either powers on or doesnt need impossible work. The second it fires up Im ordering fujinet some joysticks and buying a CRT

Already have my original game carts to feed it and cords built for power and video

excited lol

I havnt been this excited since I bought my black box long ago lol

Capture.thumb.PNG.d493a00d87d3f72aeb518a747b28cc4c.PNG

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, gilsaluki said:

Man, excited.  I am going to have sneak into Canada with a lot of Atari computers and black market them.  I saw sneak because Americans aren't allowed now right now.  DBM.

Americans are allowed here. (I think) We just had a visitor at work.

usually only a couple ram chips get hot, even with a supply that is failing... I there are a lot of hot chips... you may want to check some voltages and polarities out. I've seen enough people fry good machines with borked wiring of homemade power adapters, not to mention incorrect supplies. Watch out for pin outs, polarity, power type (ac/dc), and voltages when delving into this world

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

This thread is why I love classic gaming. Not for the rare games, or people with huge collections, but for the 'little kid at Christmas' level of excitement you see in adults who finally get that piece of kit they loved so much as a child. Used to do live game meetups and you'd see this just about every time. It's nice to bring that kind of joy into someones day.

Sorry your unit doesn't work @oo7, but keep at it. RAM shouldn't be too hard to find. Buy a replacement, modern power supply too (they're only like $15), the brewing academy sells them.

Another option is the RAM320xe expansion for the XE line that plugs into the PBI slot in back. I have an XE with bad ram and this bypasses it with the correct jumper settings. So that's an option if you can track one down. Also gives you the extra ram for Spartados or games, plus a vertical cart slot, which is handy.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, oo7 said:

I'm pretty sure the MT RAM was supposedly crap, even for the time. I certainly wouldn't be sourcing more crap MT RAM unless that were the only option available.

This is a much better option for RAM replacement, assuming you have a soldering iron and are competent to solder one wire.

https://thebrewingacademy.com/collections/atari-800-xl-xe-xel-xld/products/64k-sram-module-for-xl-xe-computers

The only bad part is that Marlin is on vacation at the moment and won't be shipping again until the middle of September.

Good luck getting your machine going soon.

Edited by bfollowell

13 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

I'm pretty sure the MT RAM was supposedly crap, even for the time. I certainly wouldn't be sourcing more crap MT RAM unless that were the only option available.

This is a much better option for RAM replacement, assuming you have a soldering iron and are competent to solder one wire.

https://thebrewingacademy.com/collections/atari-800-xl-xe-xel-xld/products/64k-sram-module-for-xl-xe-computers

The only bad part is that Marlin is on vacation at the moment and won't be shipping again until the middle of September.

Wait!! This seems nice.

any compatibility issues from this?

19 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

Wait, ide have to unsolder the cpu… dunno

12 minutes ago, xrbrevin said:

glad your XE turned up - your enthusiasm is infectious!

be careful to desolder thoroughly tho - the XEs were manufactured at a lower cost and can lift traces easier than the predecessors!

Thanks, ya they were cheap boards. I think ill cut the chips desolder legs 1 by 1 then clean using solder wick. Just gotta find some ram chips soon dieing to get a xe

4164 is the conventional part number but many other manufacturers use a slight variation on the number for a fully compatible part. thats why it can take ages to find a good deal!!

if youre unsure, compare the pinouts on the datasheets. here is the MT4264 one: https://datasheetspdf.com/pdf-file/559894/MicronTechnology/MT4264-15/1

i struggled to find an Oki datasheet for that model (with RS on the end). thats why i said to message bloke selling them. maybe he could agree to a refund if they are unsuitable? they can be tested without soldering using the piggy-back trick so no harm done.

18 minutes ago, xrbrevin said:

4164 is the conventional part number but many other manufacturers use a slight variation on the number for a fully compatible part. thats why it can take ages to find a good deal!!

if youre unsure, compare the pinouts on the datasheets. here is the MT4264 one: https://datasheetspdf.com/pdf-file/559894/MicronTechnology/MT4264-15/1

i struggled to find an Oki datasheet for that model (with RS on the end). thats why i said to message bloke selling them. maybe he could agree to a refund if they are unsuitable? they can be tested without soldering using the piggy-back trick so no harm done.

Piggy back hot chips???