Razzie.P

What’s the marketing plan for Amico?

We’ve been told “the real marketing hasn’t started yet,” so I was wondering what’s the plan for the “real marketing?” 

Will it start with a TV Commercial?  Ads popping up on Websites?  Physical (print copy) magazines?

And what date will we see the first “real marketing” if a date has been established.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

We’ve been told “the real marketing hasn’t started yet,” so I was wondering what’s the plan for the “real marketing?” 

Will it start with a TV Commercial?  Ads popping up on Websites?  Physical (print copy) magazines?

And what date will we see the first “real marketing” if a date has been established.  

I was wondering the same thing myself.  In particular, I was wondering why their Twitter only has a little over 5,600 followers.  It seems like it would be relatively easy to build that audience without spending much money.  

Posted (edited)

Mall tours and paid influencers have been mentioned, originally they talked about timing it a few weeks before launch.  But I don't think you'll see their planned marketing effort until they get Amicos manufactured in the numbers matching retailer purchase orders, and that might be a while.  The pandemic has probably changed whatever marketing they had planned.  They are currently talking about fulfilling preorders and they don't need any marketing to do that. 

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 4

Can you imagine how much time, money, and energy would have been wasted if Intellivision followed the directions of all of the concern trolls a year ago?

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

All TBD

But they did mention a cool idea of having a bunch of vans driving around all over the country with Amico consoles hooked up to TV's so people can try them out.   I think kiosks might be more cost effective though but maybe a few vans going to special venues where many people will be is a great potential marketing tool.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, mr_me said:

Mall tours and paid influencers have been mentioned, originally they talked about timing it a few weeks before launch.  But I don't think you'll see their planned marketing effort until they get Amicos manufactured in the numbers matching retailer purchase orders, and that might be a while.  The pandemic has probably changed whatever marketing they had planned.  They are currently talking about fulfilling preorders and they don't need any marketing to do that. 

Yeah, I was wondering if there'd be any validity to spending marketing $$$ when there's no units to deliver outside the ones already bought/preordered, but was curious to know what we can can expect to see once it gets rolling.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JasperAK said:

Can you imagine how much time, money, and energy would have been wasted if Intellivision followed the directions of all of the concern trolls a year ago?

Mr Me actually isnt a troll as you mentioned, he is a champion if the Amico, please refrain from name calling. Thanks

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, JasperAK said:

I agree completely.   But... not sure why you posted that message here in this thread.  So far, neither my questions nor the replies have displayed tones of hating, trolling, negativity, etc.

...well, maybe other than yours, a little bit  😁

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bonkey Kong said:

All TBD

But they did mention a cool idea of having a bunch of vans driving around all over the country with Amico consoles hooked up to TV's so people can try them out.   I think kiosks might be more cost effective though but maybe a few vans going to special venues where many people will be is a great potential marketing tool.

That could be pretty cool, actually, if vans popped up at populated events (if the state of the world is allowing that sort of thing at the time)

A couple of years ago, a few people had a homebrew NES game that I was working on playable at their fall festival booths.  Enough people wanted to buy a "physical copy on cart" that it inspired me to actually make carts for the thing, and ultimately sold more copies to those folks "outside the normal retro gaming community" than I did on dedicated gaming forums.

Small fries compared to something like Amico, of course, but still a neat illustration of getting to check out playable versions at random, unexpected locations and the excitement that it can create.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My comment wasn't directed to anybody in this thread. It was directed to all the people that have been saying that Intellivision should have started their marketing campaign already. And if my comment was snarky, then I learned it directly from the concern trolls.

32 minutes ago, Rev said:

Mr Me actually isnt a troll as you mentioned, he is a champion if the Amico, please refrain from name calling. Thanks

Rev: What are you talking about? My comment reinforces what mr_me posted.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Rev said:

I haven't given my recommendation to this console.

20 minutes ago, JasperAK said:

Rev: What are you talking about? My comment reinforces what mr_me posted.

I think he was joking.  At least I took it that way, but my sense of humor can be wonky at time.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

Physical (print copy) magazines?

What happened to the special Amico AARP article?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think the marketing money is likely spent or will be to keep things going. So they will need to rely on YouTube (larger influencers) and Twitter etc. 

Last I checked the strategy is to threaten lawsuits against journalists who use your own dev information and call everything that isn't unicorns and rainbows "Misinformation."

*Too lazy for a Poochie GIF, please use your imagination (you know, the thing you have to use to play Cornhole with the controllers.)*

Demo units are a good idea, and I still think the idea of pop-up kiosks etc. is a REALLY good one.  If there was a pop-up kiosk or something somewhere in Phoenix I'd make the drive to check the Amico out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Their strategy seems to be that the less people know about it while missed launch dates are whooshing by, the better. 😃

Jokes aside, it make sense to keep their power dry until they've actually confident that they can nail the release. They're only going to get one chance when it's finally ready, after all.

9 hours ago, JasperAK said:

My comment wasn't directed to anybody in this thread. It was directed to all the people that have been saying that Intellivision should have started their marketing campaign already. And if my comment was snarky, then I learned it directly from the concern trolls

To be fair, one year ago, we all thought the system was ready. Well, a little more than a year ago technically, since the first delay was announced at the beginning of August. And that big presentation that had no less than two teasers to hype it definitely looked like marketing to me.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

Demo units are a good idea, and I still think the idea of pop-up kiosks etc. is a REALLY good one.  If there was a pop-up kiosk or something somewhere in Phoenix I'd make the drive to check the Amico out.

Yeah even videos videos like this one get me interested in Playdate.

It comes across object and she even mentions some things she didn't like. It gives me the consumer a better idea of what I can expect from the product. This is letting the product speak for itself.

Now they need to show off the speaker some more and set a price for it.

• Like 1

Well, considering that COVID-19 is back in full force here in the States, doubtful IE would really have as much success as they might have beforehand with pop-up kiosks.  Doesn't mean it isn't a good idea and can't tell you how many times my son played on various kiosks (Xbox One, PS4, and Switch) before he really came to like and enjoy the Switch a ton more than the others.

Also, it goes without saying that the console needs to get in the hands of (professional or at least semi-pros) reviewers to help really get the word out, especially if this console really is "fun, family, friends" as IE says it is.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

To be fair, one year ago, we all thought the system was ready. Well, a little more than a year ago technically, since the first delay was announced at the beginning of August. And that big presentation that had no less than two teasers to hype it definitely looked like marketing to me.

To be fair, there seems to be at least two separate marketing campaigns that seem to be targeted to specific markets. One is for us, the retro gamer crowd, and that started a long time ago. They have spent time, money, and energy on it. You are and others are absolutely right. Another campaign seems directed to a larger segment of the electronics gaming community (places like E3). They've obviously spent time, money, and energy on that campaign as well. It seems here is where more of the failures of that campaign are glaring. But I link these two segments together because these two markets are closely related compared to the last major market.

That major market is the one that doesn't follow the electronics gaming industry but play or may play games--soccer moms, grandparents, etc... That's where Intellivision is going to find its million in sales if they are there. Not us. That's what I believe they are talking about when they say the marketing hasn't begun yet. I suspect that the amount of time, money, and energy invested in us will be peanuts compared to what they have planned for their largest target market. Remember that retrogaming is only expected to be about 20% of their library. Most of what they have shown has been directed to us because that's what we talk about. We get the videos of gameplay. But you know what the commercials on TV are going to show? Not videos of gameplay; we'll see people playing this system together. That's the Unique Selling Position for that market. Fuck, we won't even get the original Intellivision games on or near launch because they don't want to confuse their major target market.

So my point is that I think Intellivision is trying to have their cake and eat it too with regards to the different markets they are targeting. They just seem to be pissing off people that don't want to hear they are one of their target markets but not the largest or most important. Because we are not. I think Tommy has implied that regardless of what happens in the retrogaming community (negative videos and reviews), Amico will succeed or fail in the larger market that specifically doesn't follow us or the larger gaming community at large. Again, two separate markets.

The funny thing is that while we are the much smaller market, we are the most likely ones to become what they call Rabid Fans in the sales and marketing world. I think that's why Tommy is directly interacting with us. One Rabid Fan is worth more than a hundred sales off a shelf at Target. Especially if they have a social following. I can't wait to see who they use.

Here is a rhetorical question to all. If you were Tommy, would you rather a good showing at a virtual E3 or good showing on Oprah or similar show (does she even have a show anymore?)?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Well, the rocket was built, the launchpad was set...

• Haha 1

I think the confusing part is that it is a video game console. Wii was a video game console. It was still marketed in the normal ways and areas. It had a section on IGN. People act like these are totally separate things. 

I get they are struggling but to say the marketing hasn't started is an excuse. Not to mention marketing has been going on with going for the retro gamers.

If the target market isn't aware then they aren't targeting them. Can that change? Sure, but until that changes it isn't a current reality. That arm of their marketing may or may not come depending on how much they are hurting for money.

I think there is some potential for them to be successful in the "soccer mom realm", but until they actually do something it is a non-factor.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JasperAK said:

Here is a rhetorical question to all. If you were Tommy, would you rather a good showing at a virtual E3 or good showing on Oprah or similar show (does she even have a show anymore?)?

Oprah or something similar.  Not even close, in my mind.

E3 had a peak of 3.1 million people watching, and any showing there, even if good, is share (compete for) attention with the other names in the industry.

Oprah got something like 7 to 20 million viewers per day, and the console and all it’s selling points would have the 100% spotlight for that time, instead of being compared head to head with Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony 

The people already in touch with the video game market are gonna find out about it anyway, and are gonna love it, hate it, or just not give a damn based on what they’re finding out.

But exposure, and endorsement (if they’re lucky) on shows like that reach out to who they say is their ‘intended audience.”  They convince the parents of the world that this new toy is gonna be THE HOT NEW TOY to bring families together on the couch playing  casual, inoffensive, pick up n’ play games – then it’s their market to lose.   All they’d have to do after that, is deliver hardware/software that lives up to the hype.  Only time will tell whether or not they can make that happen.

• Like 2

Another rhetorical question for everyone to help put the marketing into perspective.

Even though he rubs some people in our community the wrong way, how well would Amico do with Tommy and half-an-hour on QVC or HSN? Or a five minute spot on the Morning Network Shows like, 'Today, Good Morning America, etc...'?

He says things now and sets off people's bullshit warnings. We've been burned before in this industry--lots of over-promising and under-delivering. But imagine he puts Amico on these shows and channels, and it works as designed. Hosts play the games and comment in real time. My mother-in-law watches and calls my wife, 'do you have one of these new Amico videos game things?'

I mean sure we'll see ads in Game Informer for Amico, but why reach for millions when you can aim for hundreds of millions. Watch for ads and articles in places like Good Housekeeping, AARP, People, Entertainment Weekly, and maybe even places like Reader's Digest. What about a Costco Bulletin?

If they put kiosks in GameSpot, you'll see them in Target. Does anyone want to guess know how many times my kids stop to check out the Switch displays in Target. Anyone want to guess how many times we go in a Gamestop? Or what about a Bed, Bath, and Beyond?

Now there is a big question about whether any of their marketing--whatever it ends up being--will be successful. That's how marketing works. Look at all the failed marketing campaigns from the past. It's failing with some of us for a multitude of reasons. One reason I think is that Intellivision has sent out conflicting messages about this system and who it is for. They had been specifically targeting the retro-game crowd. Tommy is hanging out in an Atari forum. So some people put out videos that say 'I don't see why I should buy this, nor why anyone else would.' Tommy comes out and directly says that those people are not his target market. And then shit escalates. I understand why there is confusion. Tommy tries to clear up the misconceptions but it's too late for some in our community. But in the hopefully near future I think Intellivision will not be primarily targeting us. I think they've started with things like the Crayola experience.

They will be targeting the 'not us'. They are going after the people no one else is going after (with respect to the console makers). The Wii did that years ago and was successful, but here we are more than a decade later and nobody else has succeeded. Some people think Nintendo has continued their casual market dominance with the Switch and I think they'd be right with respects to Sony and Xbox. And yeah, ok, three billion people play casual games on their phone. But are all of these companies missing out on a massive segment of the population that isn't being served, and more importantly, are there enough people playing games, who would throw down some significant cash to play a console with their friends?

Tommy and Intellivision think so. They believe they have a Unique Selling Position regardless of how people compare Amico to phone-gaming or the Switch. Their primary marketing will be focused on that and those people. They haven't started that marketing yet. There is no need. They are not ready for prime time for whatever reason. So they delay allocating their resources until they can be used most effectively. And just because there is no active campaign doesn't mean a target market doesn't exist. It's just called Untapped.

And to take that market thought one final step further, when Intellivision did their SWOT analysis, you who is in the 'not a threat box' yet? Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft. Because for the last time (in this post), the market served by the big three is not the market Amico is aiming for. Their marketing will reflect that.

(I hope I cought all the typos)

• Like 1