IGNORED

Spelunky finally gets Switch eshop release date (8/26)

digdugnate

7 hours ago, digdugnate said:

Editing because NA release date!

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/08/switch_eshop_lists_spelunky_1_and_2_for_release_at_the_end_of_august

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/spelunky-switch/

Spelunky 1 is an old game by now, but it's a lot of fun.  I'm looking forward to a NA release!

Have you played it? My brother said it was okay.

Edited by MrBeefy
Typo
  • Like 2

I think it's a lot of fun!  It's a platforming 'rogue-lite' I believe created by one person (Derek Yu), sort of like how Eric Barone created Stardew Valley.

If you enjoy an Indiana Jones-esque run through perilous caverns, I think you'd like it.  It's a good pick-up-and-set-down quick playing game.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, digdugnate said:

I think it's a lot of fun!  It's a platforming 'rogue-lite' I believe created by one person (Derek Yu), sort of like how Eric Barone created Stardew Valley.

If you enjoy an Indiana Jones-esque run through perilous caverns, I think you'd like it.  It's a good pick-up-and-set-down quick playing game.

Like how quick?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

depends on how bad you are, lol.  some runs for me lasted like 2-3 minutes, some I managed nearly 30.   

Dead Cells is similar for the play times per session, if you've played that.  

So how long should it take to beat Spelunking?

• Like 1

I haven't managed to finish it yet, even though it's been forever since it came out.  ?  I really suck at these kinds of games but I do enjoy them.  Dammit, I beat Hades and Dead Cells, though.

https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=8932

The link above gives a pretty good idea about how long to 'finish' the game.  Their times on games jive pretty well with my own personal experience for time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

I haven't managed to finish it yet, even though it's been forever since it came out.  ?  I really suck at these kinds of games but I do enjoy them.  Dammit, I beat Hades and Dead Cells, though.

https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=8932

The link above gives a pretty good idea about how long to 'finish' the game.  Their times on games jive pretty well with my own personal experience for time.

I really need to get Hades.

I've heard of Dead Cells but haven't looked into it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrBeefy said:

So how long should it take to beat Spelunking?

Spelunky. It’s more of a “how far can you go” game rather than something you can beat. When you die, you go back and do it again, a little stronger and wiser, if you’re lucky and skillful. 

I will enjoy having this on my Switch alongside Rogue Legacy, Dead Cells, Everspace, and (the way I play it) Skyrim. Roguelikes kick ass. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Spelunky. It’s more of a “how far can you go” game rather than something you can beat. When you die, you go back and do it again, a little stronger and wiser, if you’re lucky and skillful. 

I will enjoy having this on my Switch alongside Rogue Legacy, Dead Cells, Everspace, and (the way I play it) Skyrim. Roguelikes kick ass. 

There's some twitch-type reflex stuff involved with Spelunky, but it's so fast-paced and fun the difficulty doesn't bother me.  (and make no mistake, I feel like the game is pretty tough.)

I dorked around with the new Dead Cells update last night, but that's a topic for a different thread.  :)  (The new stuff is pretty cool, though!)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

If I was to get 1, dead cells or spelunky?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, digdugnate said:

There's some twitch-type reflex stuff involved with Spelunky, but it's so fast-paced and fun the difficulty doesn't bother me.  (and make no mistake, I feel like the game is pretty tough.)

I dorked around with the new Dead Cells update last night, but that's a topic for a different thread.  :)  (The new stuff is pretty cool, though!)

Is it tough or unfair?

• Like 1

Just now, MrBeefy said:

Is it tough or unfair?

No, I don't feel like it is, simply because if a game seems like it has 'cheap' mechanics to me, I won't give it more than an hour or two of play.  There's been lots of games I've set down and never ever will play again because of that. :)

Spelunky isn't in that group.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

No, I don't feel like it is, simply because if a game seems like it has 'cheap' mechanics to me, I won't give it more than an hour or two of play.  There's been lots of games I've set down and never ever will play again because of that. :)

Spelunky isn't in that group.

Thanks that's good to know. Which do you like better Spelunky or Dead Cells?

• Like 1

I have not checked, but I think the freeware is a completely different version from the commercial one, even on PC. The original Spelunky used pixelart to begin with. That's the only one I played and didn't like it at all (roguelikes are not for me I guess), so I didn't bother with the commercial versions that feature cartoon HD graphics.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

I have not checked, but I think the freeware is a completely different version from the commercial one, even on PC. The original Spelunky used pixelart to begin with. That's the only one I played and didn't like it at all (roguelikes are not for me I guess), so I didn't bother with the commercial versions that feature cartoon HD graphics.

That is good to know.

On 8/13/2021 at 2:23 PM, Flojomojo said:

I'm pretty sure Spelunky does have an ending, but I can't speak from first-hand experience.

Spelunky is a "true" roguelike, in the sense that once you're dead, that's it (ok, you have 3 lives, but it's an action one so it's kinda okay). And that's what's brilliant about it. You die, you learn, but not exactly just memorize, like in arcade games, because the levels are randomized.

In contrats, Dead Cells, and the rest of roguelites, offer you some sort of upgrade/continuity after you die. To me it defeats the point somewhat, because the game then becomes more "normal", or at least some sort of weird hybrid with games where you just have checkpoints, and it also removes the tension which comes with permadeath.

• Like 3

Yeah but people like me hate "true" roguelikes because they feel they miss the sense of accomplishment, the reward for doing well. For instance Into the Breach is a great tactical, but having to choose only one ability to keep for the next run kinda ruined the game for me, because I couldn't do without a specific ability so I never kept another one or even try a new faction. And Invisible Inc. was even worse in that regard.

So as I already suspected, if I had to choose between the two, I would clearly pick Dead Cells. But I think it's important to point that difference between the two because it's indeed what could make you prefer one over the other...