ColecoGamer

Best sprite size for 320x240 screen resolution?

As a FYI - I’ve adjusted my project’s screen resolution to 320x224. I figured it was better to change it now, before I get too involved in what I’m doing. 

As for the aforementioned sprites I posted: I’ll resize them a bit later, when it’s finally time to use them. I am expecting to do a lot of touch up on these sprites once they’ve been resized. 

I’m still at the very early stages of what I want to achieve. Despite this, I am really enjoying myself. I am also having a lot of fun discussing everything with the community. You guys/gals rock!

• Like 3

Those sprites are nice!

And yeah, there isn't really any solution for resizing pixel art that doesn't involve manual work. Even when the scaledown ratio is an integer, automatic scaling often looks ugly. And when it's not, it's even worse.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Zerosquare said:

Those sprites are nice!

And yeah, there isn't really any solution for resizing pixel art that doesn't involve manual work. Even when the scaledown ratio is an integer, automatic scaling often looks ugly. And when it's not, it's even worse.

Partly incorrect ;) Some dedicated tools do this kind of work decently well. I'd recommend to look at Aseprite for instance. It's quite cheap and really helpful to scale pixelart content, but ok some light manual work will be required (so @Zerosquare is right in the end ^^).

Edited by LordKraken
  • Like 2

Interesting. Apparently it uses the RotSprite algorithm. Do you have some examples of pixel art that's been scaled down with this? I only found a single image ; it doesn't look bad, but it's hard to judge an algorithm on a single case:

C94hdXW.png

I use it on my lynx projects, even though mostly on animation work so I don't have a lot to share without spoilers (like the ending screen of RED ^^). My experience is that if you start from a "real" pixel art image or sprite, the end result is roughly 95% good, and there are just a few pixels left to change. So it speeds up the process a LOT. (It also works really well to rotate sprites by the way)

Edited by LordKraken
  • Like 2

Don't forget that changing the screen resolution will change the aspect ratio of pixels and that running in NTSC vs PAL will effect it too ( PAL has more lines than NTSC ).

• Like 2

It also helps to have graphing paper to draw it out normally, then do a version comprised of squares.

Good thing about Jaguar is that the sprite sizes can be very flexible.

16x16, 24x24, 32x32 are the most common sprite sizes.

For some impressive monsters and bosses, go bigger ;-)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, agradeneu said:

Good thing about Jaguar is that the sprite sizes can be very flexible.

16x16, 24x24, 32x32 are the most common sprite sizes.

For some impressive monsters and bosses, go bigger ;-)

Thank you! I needed to know if the Jaguar’s sprite capabilities were flexible or not. 

On 8/15/2021 at 12:34 PM, ColecoGamer said:

Hi @JumbleJag

What sprite size did you use for the alien seen in your screenshot? 

Thanks in advance!

Sprites are 32x32,and 32x64,screen resolution is 512x480,game logic is very simple.

Edited by JumbleJag
  • Like 1