MrBeefy

Free Gift Speculation

Posted (edited)

So what does everyone think will be the free gift?

I think it will be a way to get you Founder patch early.

*Edit* Were patches a thing for the original Intv too, like the 2600?

Edited by MrBeefy
  • Like 2

Dear Valued Amico Pre-Owner,

Thank you for your continued support during these unprecedented times.  Our Intellivision team is doing everything we can to get Amico into your hands as soon as possible.  In the meantime, as a small token of our appreciation, we wanted to send you something now for being so patient and for sticking with us as we continue to face manufacturing challenges.

The Video Games Live concert series has been touring the world for over 16 years.  The multi-award-winning show has been breaking attendance records and recording best-selling Billboard Top 10 albums since its inception. Over the next 24 hours, you will be receiving a download code e-mail from Humble Bundle.  The download contains a Video Games Live Collector's Edition Compendium and bonuses valued at over $200.  It includes over 12 hours of some of the greatest award-winning video game music recorded and mixed in places like Abbey Road and Skywalker Ranch by talented symphonies, choirs, and soloists from around the world.  You will be receiving 13 Video Games Live albums in .mp3 format (including extra tracks in the Collectors Edition versions) as well as the Earthworm Jim Anthology album and the award-winning Advent Rising soundtrack.  This special Compendium also includes rare and exclusive documents, posters, a touring program, and much more.  As extra special gifts, we also included original Earthworm Jim art and the blueprints for the Tron Light Cycle which was created for the first-ever Video Games Live performance at the Hollywood Bowl with the Los Angeles Philharmonic back in 2005.

We understand and acknowledge that this doesn't replace the disappointment we all share, but we did want to do something for your valued patience and understanding.

Thank you again for your unwavering support and we look forward to everyone being able to play Amico as soon as possible.

The Intellivision Team

• Like 4

Personally I think it's a good gift and appreciated.  Would rather get the Amico ASAP but it is what it is; hope there is still a chance for end of this year but likely I would think we are looking at April 2022 right now :(

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Razzie.P said:

I haven't gotten that email yet, but that's actually pretty cool!   

Check your spam folder just in case

Posted (edited)

No speculation needed! Answered almost immediately.

Sounds like a pretty good package.

Edited by MrBeefy
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

*Edit* Were patches a thing for the original Intv too, like the 2600?

Activision did patches for their games on both systems.

21 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

Sounds like a pretty good package.

Agree. Credit where credit is due :). 

24 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Is that the same music package that comes with the Founders kit? 

I believe those were the Tallarico Studios Collection, which are definitely different than the VGL and EJW anthology gift

• Like 2

Was this news, music to people's ears or what? 

ba-dum-tsss-drum.gif.7e96b061c699f4df3711e10eb5af1afa.gif

Edited by MrBeefy
  • Haha 3

I was expecting a free game or something.  I don't have a pre order though (canceled after first delay). I wouldn’t be interested in this,  but maybe some will be. 

I was pleasantly surprised when I got the email.  I know it is not for everyone, but I'm fine with this gift.

• Like 1

A non-Amico related gift isn't at all what I was looking for.  For anyone who's grown weary of Tommy, this plays like a total ego-stroke, and I can easily see how it will be fodder for the haters.  I'm sure the team were looking to give something more valuable than a free shirt or merch item, but I'm really not into listening to game music unless I'm playing a game and don't understand how this relates to Intellivision at all.  I'm buying an Amico, not a Tallarico.  Or at least that's what I thought.  

Yes, my opinion has soured greatly. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I'm going to do something a little jaw-dropping. And this is coming from someone who finds the fellow to be quite a grating personality (though I'm one to talk!).

If Tommy was involved in the making of the music, I'll actually defend this decision as something other than "ego stroking" - it's possible that because he was involved he had some of the rights to it, etc. and could therefore get it at a good deal, this giving a freebie at a low cost to IE and thus keeping what I imagine to be a shrinking budget (due to unintentional delays or intentional missteps, etc.) a little steady.

If IE is having money problems (and there's no reason to think they ARE, though I suspect that's the case, just "if"), splurging on a free t-shirt or something for fans who are already growing weary is likely a sunk cost.

Gift horse, mouth, all that. Just like any swag or freebies, some will like it, some won't. And I may be completely wrong and it IS just ego stroking (I mean that would be in line with every other action taken, IMO), but at least I can see the rationale behind this one, which is usually infrequent or non-existent when it comes to Amico et. al.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

If Tommy was involved in the making of the music, I'll actually defend this decision as something other than "ego stroking" - it's possible that because he was involved he had some of the rights to it, etc. and could therefore get it at a good deal, this giving a freebie at a low cost to IE and thus keeping what I imagine to be a shrinking budget (due to delays, etc.) a little steady.

Time for you to defend that decision, then: https://www.tallarico.com/albums

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

Hoisted by my own petard! I doff my cap.

Back to Poochieland we go!

lol yeah, sorry. All of it is Tommy's music that he either wrote himself or was directly involved with due to Video Games Live. There's some really good stuff in there... Medal of Honor has some absolutely beautiful music and it's quite nice to see its inclusion in Video Games Live, as I think a lot of people seem to have forgotten how unbelievably good those games' soundtracks are.

Considering they didn't have to do anything, I think it's pretty cool. As a musician and music collector, I don't really have a lot of video game music, so this is a great way to start it. Even if you don't like it, it's a massive collection. (I have yet to download it myself).

While I can see why many may be disappointed, but I always thought people complaining about free stuff to really be sad. Don't want or need it? Move on.

I get that people don't like Tommy's ego, personality, etc. But you also can not ignore the fact he has been immensely successful against the grain basically his entire adult life. He is also incredibly self-aware, whether people want to admit or not. That combination usually indicates that they will surround themselves with the right people to ultimately be successful together.

• Like 1

It's a lovely gesture, and more 'value' than I expected, but still... meh. 

In the end, it's better than nothing, and isn't just a discount code to get you to spend more money, but it's still something I would likely not have bought on my own, and certainly wouldn't have ever bought at full retail price. 

Maybe next time a coupon for an additional free game or two from the store at launch? 

• Like 1

I'm gonna have to compare this gift to all the gifts I've been given by other companies whose crap has been delayed over the past couple of years.

... and I'll get started as soon as the others decide to give a shit and send anything  😄

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

I'm going to do something a little jaw-dropping. And this is coming from someone who finds the fellow to be quite a grating personality (though I'm one to talk!).

If Tommy was involved in the making of the music, I'll actually defend this decision as something other than "ego stroking" - it's possible that because he was involved he had some of the rights to it, etc. and could therefore get it at a good deal, this giving a freebie at a low cost to IE and thus keeping what I imagine to be a shrinking budget (due to unintentional delays or intentional missteps, etc.) a little steady.

If IE is having money problems (and there's no reason to think they ARE, though I suspect that's the case, just "if"), splurging on a free t-shirt or something for fans who are already growing weary is likely a sunk cost.

Gift horse, mouth, all that. Just like any swag or freebies, some will like it, some won't. And I may be completely wrong and it IS just ego stroking (I mean that would be in line with every other action taken, IMO), but at least I can see the rationale behind this one, which is usually infrequent or non-existent when it comes to Amico etc. al.

I also understand the logic, but I would have offer free digital games instead. It doesn't cost money either (even though that's less money they can make with these games of course), but it encourages people to keep their pre-orders.

Edited by roots.genoa
  • Like 2

Hmm, that's true, and I hadn't really thought of that from a financial perspective.

and I'll get started as soon as the others decide to give a shit and send anything 

I also think this is a great perspective to have. As many "issues" as there may be with it, at least they gave something for free. I've had quite a few things delayed with both but a "HAW HAW WE TOOK YOUR MONEY TO THE BANK" attitude, so that's at least something.