IGNORED

Do you believe Tomb Raider 1 (PSX/SAT/PC) has aged well?

Leeroy ST

Has Tomb Raider (1996) aged well?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Has Tomb Raider (1996) aged well?

• Yes
    • No

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Tomb Raider 1 was a major and very influencial title released in 1996. Arguably the most important game that year next to Quake.

It was after Fade to Black, one of the first exploring 3D third person action adventure games on consoles, and was pretty popular on PC as well.

Do you believe the 1st Tomb Raider has aged well?

Going back to replay the game myself, I do notice that input isn't 1:1. It does feel like there's a delay when you perform an action. This doesn't seem to be as bad on the PC version compared to the consoles, but it's still present.

The graphics are of course outdated, but for the time they were considered top class. I think that if you have a decent built the graphics are serviceable on PC.

But the console versions are pretty bad. The graphics have aged poorly, and the PSX version has the consoles usual staple graphical issues on display.

But if you compare the console versions to other console games of the time, and even a bit after, Tomb Raider graphically is among the better titles.

Otherwise the game seems to have aged fine for an early Action Adventure title. I know some people are mixed on the tank controls, but I think the level design accommodates the controls nicely.

I think the bigger issue that may impact some people's enjoyment on consoles, is that you have to get used to the Dpad to move the character, and after years of sidewinders, M/K, and Analog sticks that will take some getting used to.

Edited by Leeroy ST
  • Confused 1

I'm near the end of a playthrough of this at the moment on the PSX.  I've replayed this several times over the years since '96, and still enjoy it.

I see it as a puzzle game essentially, so learning the controls and timings are just part of figuring the game out.

I may be in the minority, but I am perfectly happy with the PS1 graphics, they've never bothered me.

I first played it and beat it on Saturn, but in time I also got the PlayStation version which looks better and has better lighting and overall frame rate. It's really the only Tomb Raider game I can still play and enjoy.  So I'd say yes, despite ugly early 3D graphics at times, it's still fun and quite playable . I enjoyed playing through the remake Anniversary edition too although there were 2 wall jump tasks that I had the hardest time getting past.   The originals sci-fi/adventure story, puzzle gameplay, variety of interesting locales and beasts to fight make it interesting and not so much of a chore as the sequels.  I never had a problem with the tank controls, they make the control more dependable than a pure 3d movement type of control like anniversary has. 

I kind of regret putting no in the poll then reading the comments. As a Saturn fan I have to admit the ps1 version is strides better, though it does show the Saturn can do those types of 3d games (just not often or particularly well...). The mechanics and controls aren't too bad given the age and realistically if it was inserted in one of those two consoles I'd probably play it again. I'd argue the original (possibly extend to the first 3 games) are classic enough to be worthy of nostalgic replay ability. 

12 hours ago, Mikebloke said:

I kind of regret putting no in the poll then reading the comments. As a Saturn fan I have to admit the ps1 version is strides better, though it does show the Saturn can do those types of 3d games (just not often or particularly well...). The mechanics and controls aren't too bad given the age and realistically if it was inserted in one of those two consoles I'd probably play it again. I'd argue the original (possibly extend to the first 3 games) are classic enough to be worthy of nostalgic replay ability. 

Well this depends on if you actually like it and can handle it's more archaic elements. You may be able to replay it but are you pushing yourself to do so? 

On 8/14/2021 at 9:19 PM, Leeroy ST said:

Well this depends on if you actually like it and can handle it's more archaic elements. You may be able to replay it but are you pushing yourself to do so? 

A little, but not to an unbearable point XD. I'm hoping my semi reasonable ability to play games would at least stand me in good stead to get me through a game I've played before but it's a fair point. Maybe all 3 would be a stretch for my interest but I think I could enjoy replaying one of the games.