IGNORED

Wanted: Moderators for Atari 8-bit Forums

Albert

I understand that many threads in the Atari 8-bit section are devolving into pettiness about Atari 8-bit versus Commodore 64, derailing those threads.  I unfortunately do not have time to patrol this fairly busy forum as much I would like, so I wish to enlist the aid of established members to help keep threads on target and take action when necessary to steer threads back on course. 

If you're interested in helping out and improving the signal to noise ratio, please send me a private message and we can talk.

Also, while I'm here, if you're a fan of the Commodore 64, that's great!  However, if you are continuously injecting the Commodore 64 (or other machines) into Atari 8-bit discussions, that is not welcome unless the topic of the thread specifically involves the C64.  Bringing up the C64 from time to time is fine, but the repeated disruption of threads is no longer going to be tolerated.

Likewise, feel free to use the Report button to report specific posts that are off-topic and not relevant to the discussion at hand.  That will alert me and other moderators to the issue, so we can jump directly to the potential problem and decide if any action is warranted.

Thank you!

..Al

• Like 16
  • Thanks 9

11 hours ago, Albert said:

Also, while I'm here, if you're a fan of the Commodore 64, that's great!  However, if you are continuously injecting the Commodore 64 (or other machines) into Atari 8-bit discussions, that is not welcome unless the topic of the thread specifically involves the C64.  Bringing up the C64 from time to time is fine, but the repeated disruption of threads is no longer going to be tolerated.

As a prominent chatter of C64 stuff, I should apologise if it's become a bit more than it should, I do try and keep it to threads that ask for help but I can get a bit carried away. Will keep myself in check but I do avoid / ask people in machine war threads to knock it on the head.

Good luck on finding mods, Al...

• Like 1

This may sound counter-intuitive, but... I would vote for a self-moderation model based on (non-negotiable) strictly-enforced set rules are kept front-and-center in a sticky, on the forum's main page, for everyone to see.

Such set of rules are to be defined by forum ownership (no one else)... but also including the real causes of most of the bickering:

• flagrant ad-hominem attacks, with the intention of degrading the poster, at any cost.
  • profusely resorting to vulgarity when addressing opposing-concepts and pursuing above practice.
  • active harassment of contrarian ideas and posters, when those subject to such treatment never engaged in such harassment.
  • Actively warping the context of any discussion, with the intention of perpetrating any of the above offenses, or...
  • driving a self-serving argument (devoid of ANY supporting evidence), at the clear expense of the respect for forum members.
  • Constantly bringing off-topic arguments that do not solidify or enrich any valid discussion point.

Anything outside of whatever  set of rules will not be considered as part of any moderation effort, so folks learn how to "pick their battles".

My 0.02c

• Like 3

I think asking for moderators to step forward and volunteer is a mistake. Anyone that frequents here knows how politically charged this place can get. And just like any political landscape, the ones who run for office usually have a personal agenda, and/or never think they are the problem.

I would suggest as an alternative, let the current moderators decide, and then PM those people that they feel would likely serve the roll in an unbiased fashion. They know best, and have seen all the bad players act out ;) .

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, mytek said:

I think asking for moderators to step forward and volunteer is a mistake. Anyone that frequents here knows how politically charged this place can get. And just like any political landscape, the ones who run for office usually have a personal agenda, and/or never think they are the problem.

I would suggest as an alternative, let the current moderators decide, and then PM those people that they feel would likely serve the roll in an unbiased fashion. They know best, and have seen all the bad players act out ;) .

I personally believe it's better to have moderators for specific forums that have a vested interest in the discussions at hand.  Versus moderators who may cover the broader forum and only see a small portion of what's happening.  The Atari 8-bit forum is pretty active, so ideally you'd have one or more moderators who are familiar with the content and try to use an even hand in moderating content when necessary.  And we honestly don't have enough moderators at present, so I can't really point at the Atari 8-bit forum and go, "Oh, hey, can you pay extra attention to the Atari 8-bit forum? Thanks!" 

I will review anyone's posting history before I allow someone to moderate here in the 8-bit forum.  I certainly do not want someone who, for instance, hates the C64 or other classic computing platforms and is going to act unfairly against those who make C64-related comments.  Or vice-versa.  It's not a perfect system, but it can certainly be improved upon, as I don't want this forum to be the wild, wild west.

I do appreciate suggestions like this, though, so thank you.

..Al

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, Faicuai said:

This may sound counter-intuitive, but... I would vote for a self-moderation model based on (non-negotiable) strictly-enforced set rules are kept front-and-center in a sticky, on the forum's main page, for everyone to see.

Such set of rules are to be defined by forum ownership (no one else)... but also including the real causes of most of the bickering:

• flagrant ad-hominem attacks, with the intention of degrading the poster, at any cost.
  • profusely resorting to vulgarity when addressing opposing-concepts and pursuing above practice.
  • active harassment of contrarian ideas and posters, when those subject to such treatment never engaged in such harassment.
  • Actively warping the context of any discussion, with the intention of perpetrating any of the above offenses, or...
  • driving a self-serving argument (devoid of ANY supporting evidence), at the clear expense of the respect for forum members.
  • Constantly bringing off-topic arguments that do not solidify or enrich any valid discussion point.

Anything outside of whatever  set of rules will not be considered as part of any moderation effort, so folks learn how to "pick their battles".

My 0.02c

I agree that the general rules for the forum could be enhanced with a bit more detail along the lines of what you've written above.  I'm not sure how necessary that is, when a lot of this can be summed up as, "Please respect others and don't be an asshole."   It's unfortunate that rules have to sometimes be spelled out in excruciating detail.

..Al

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Mclaneinc said:

If Emkay has applied, I'm leaving the forum :)

Form an orderly queue behind me...

And for me this is showing the problem of asking publicly who would be interested in becoming a moderator. As most of the "applicants" are already well known in the 8-bit forums I expect that for every candidate some members will have some reservations about. Personally I see a name in here of whom I have reservations about.

I think it would be best if someone is chosen privatly and is not very active in the 8-bit forum. In my view a moderator would follow the forum-rules and does not have to be very knowledgeable about Atari 8-bits. The forum rules are about decency, not about knowledge.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Fred_M said:

Personally I see a name in here of whom I have reservations about.

Don't  worry Fred, I have not applied...  :)

But yes, me too... But Al seems to have it in hand and thankfully will do a post history for all involved..

2 hours ago, Albert said:

I agree that the general rules for the forum could be enhanced with a bit more detail along the lines of what you've written above.  I'm not sure how necessary that is, when a lot of this can be summed up as, "Please respect others and don't be an asshole."   It's unfortunate that rules have to sometimes be spelled out in excruciating detail.

..Al

Only one rule needed: The Golden Rule. For those who may not know what this means, in modern secular terms, it simply means to treat others the way you want to be treated by others. If more people went by this one classic rule, no others would be needed except maybe specifying no religious or political references or discussion as that can always get even people who naturally follow The Golden Rule to get off track.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Gunstar said:

Only one rule needed: The Golden Rule. For those who may not know what this means, in modern secular terms, it simply means to treat others the way you want to be treated by others. If more people went by this one classic rule, no others would be needed except maybe specifying no religious or political references or discussion as that can always get even people who naturally follow The Golden Rule to get off track.

Yes, wouldn't it be nice if that was the only rule required.

..Al

• Like 1