IGNORED

Wanted: Moderators for Atari 8-bit Forums

Albert

1 minute ago, Mclaneinc said:

Giving topic starters the ability to censor posts just isn't good, there's many a time when the topic starter has started a semi troll thread.

Even if I agreed that this was the way to go, there's no built-in capability in the forum to allow thread starters to moderate their own threads, so it's a moot point.  It is possible there's a third-party plugin that allows this, but I haven't looked.  I personally think that while the idea has merit, in practice I don't feel it would work very well. 

1 minute ago, Mclaneinc said:

Also, a mod editing posts to make them ok is just time-consuming and wrong for far too many reasons, removing content ie the whole post is the only way, it sends a clear message that the removed content isn't wanted and posters beware of trying to add it to the thread again.

The only time I'll edit others' posts is if they ask me to change something, for instance, editing the topic title.  Or removing personal identifying information from a post (someone's real name, email address, phone number, etc.).  Otherwise posts are generally just removed in their entirety if the content is inappropriate for whatever reason.

..Al

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Albert said:

Even if I agreed that this was the way to go, there's no built-in capability in the forum to allow thread starters to moderate their own threads, so it's a moot point.  It is possible there's a third-party plugin that allows this, but I haven't looked.  I personally think that while the idea has merit, in practice I don't feel it would work very well. 

The only time I'll edit others' posts is if they ask me to change something, for instance, editing the topic title.  Or removing personal identifying information from a post (someone's real name, email address, phone number, etc.).  Otherwise posts are generally just removed in their entirety if the content is inappropriate for whatever reason.

..Al

So just offer rensoup the moderator status. 

I've not seen a more clear person in this forums. 

17 minutes ago, emkay said:

So just offer rensoup the moderator status. 

I've not seen a more clear person in this forums. 

If I remember correctly your first entries in his thread, you would also be banned :]

But time goes bye and now you are contributor in SFX department :D 

1 hour ago, zbyti said:

If I remember correctly your first entries in his thread, you would also be banned :]

But time goes bye and now you are contributor in SFX department :D 

You mix up things. I never changed my mind and manner. People very often thrilled things up.

Actually, If I was a moderator here in the forums, I'd stop people doing double tongued. 

I'd have no problems with personal opinions, but several poisonous people might need some lections here and there. 

And, btw.  The results have been changed by changing the people who I'm talking to. 

Edited by emkay

The problem with this, is the pack mentality here.  In my 20 years of being on this forum, I have banned 3 members, and only 2 are on now.  Every single thread, when one posts, the other one follows up sometimes 3 or 4 deep.  Every thread.  If one posts, they both do.  Pretty odd.  Also, even though I have the 2 blocked, every time there is an argument in a thread, those 2 are in there.  I know because the block feature on this forum sucks vacuum hard.  You block everything, but you can see quotes, mentions, replies, etc.  Basically, everything you don't want to.

Now - let's say those 2 volunteer (because they seem to have nothing but time to post - more in a year than me in 20).  If there opinion was the prevailing one, and they got to moderate and push it, the place would be shit and I would leave after 2 decades.  Sad that it has to be this way but with manager's and know-it-all mentality, men in their 50s can't stop the bullshit that I experienced back in the early 80s as a kid on the playground.  Oh my god - how dare someone have a different opinion, and mention blue when I like red.

• Like 12

5 hours ago, zbyti said:

This is funny to me. The guy does the game, tells a few times some peoples that he is not interested in their opinions but these people don't care about it. Developer is no longer needed in this project or what?

That's what happens regulary in this forums. 

It would solve this problem, if the topic starter could kick the faulty posts at least.  

• 1 month later...
On 8/15/2021 at 8:11 PM, Stephen said:

The problem with this, is the pack mentality here.  In my 20 years of being on this forum, I have banned 3 members, and only 2 are on now.  Every single thread, when one posts, the other one follows up sometimes 3 or 4 deep.  Every thread.  If one posts, they both do.  Pretty odd.  Also, even though I have the 2 blocked, every time there is an argument in a thread, those 2 are in there.  I know because the block feature on this forum sucks vacuum hard.  You block everything, but you can see quotes, mentions, replies, etc.  Basically, everything you don't want to.

Now - let's say those 2 volunteer (because they seem to have nothing but time to post - more in a year than me in 20).  If there opinion was the prevailing one, and they got to moderate and push it, the place would be shit and I would leave after 2 decades.  Sad that it has to be this way but with manager's and know-it-all mentality, men in their 50s can't stop the bullshit that I experienced back in the early 80s as a kid on the playground.  Oh my god - how dare someone have a different opinion, and mention blue when I like red.

I see where you're coming from.  I cancelled my subscription renewal because of it.  I'll be damned if I'm paying money for it if it's going to be like this.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

This thread seems to have died about a month ago. Did the idea of adding moderators die too? I know I haven't heard anything. Anyone else? Maybe it just means I'm not wanted. Still, seems sort of strange to not hear anything though.

I think some of us were hoping it would go away.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Faicuai said:

That does not mean anything has not happened, though.

Just send a PM directly to forum's top-brass, and find out directly (in case this is keeping you awake at night). ;-)

I'm on vacation right now, and wasn't able to spend the time to answer everyone who sent me PMs beforehand.  Once I'm back I will take the time to do that, I just had a ton to do before we left and had to postpone our departure by several days.  I haven't forgotten about this, and I will add several moderators to the 8-bit forum once I have time to properly research and respond to those who wrote me.

..Al

• Like 4

The best moderation, is the moderation you actually hardly notice. So even a moderator that you don't like in person, could do the job right, without a problem. When the moderation 'rules' are clear, everyone could do the job. 

People who are seeking for 'power over other people' should not apply for the moderator task. We are all equal here, but it is important that some threads do not derail all the time, and that other users know how to find the moderator.

I wouldn't mind if emkay or xxl, or whoever would become moderator. In fact, it could help people also take an active an positive role on the forum. I guess as soon as a moderator goes 'bezerk', there is still Albert around to guide the moderator. 

I prefer a good moderation over a forum that derails all the time. Atari is fun, and so is writing and reading about Atari. I think AtariAge is a very important forum for us atari enthusiastics. A good moderation is always a pleasure. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

LOL. 'Advocate the use of documented, legal OS entry points one more time and you're kicked out of the thread. You have been warned.' :D

the xxl character does not need any level upgrades, it would spoil the balance in the AAge universe, it has such strong statistics - only the mentioned one causes intellectual impotence in some users.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

LOL. 'Advocate the use of documented, legal OS entry points one more time and you're kicked out of the thread. You have been warned.' :D

Well, if any moderator would behave like that, I think AtariAge will lose many subscribers soon. Perhaps a moderatorship is a very effective way of sensitize some of the less easy going members :D .... if that would actually work, that would open a whole new perspective on who is the best choice for the moderatorship :D