Sign in to follow this  
Steven Pendleton

Shin Megami Tensei V

Am I the only person here who is getting this game? This game is the reason that I bought a Switch in 2017 before they even officially announced the game. Atlus was hinting at a game in development for the Switch and I was hoping it would be Shin Megami Tensei V. About 2 weeks after I bought my Switch, Atlus announced this game, so I was very happy.

I have been intentionally avoiding pretty much everything regarding this game aside from insta-preordering 2 copies on Amazon (one Japanese copy and one NA copy), but I'm definitely looking forward to finally playing this game.

• Like 1

I have Noturne and Devil Summoner on PS2. They are nice looking games and my younger bro liked playing them. I've never been able to get into them. However, that is probably partially due to extra life duties. Do you typically need to play any previous ones to enjoy the newer ones?

I'm finding with Switch, I can fit in RPGs a little easier.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

I have Noturne and Devil Summoner on PS2. They are nice looking games and my younger bro liked playing them. I've never been able to get into them. However, that is probably partially due to extra life duties. Do you typically need to play any previous ones to enjoy the newer ones?

I'm finding with Switch, I can fit in RPGs a little easier.

The only ones that you really should play in a specific order are I -> II and especially IV -> IV Final. II is a sequel to the neutral ending in I. IV Final is a sequel to part of the neutral ending in IV, where it actually interrupts the neutral ending of IV in a certain timeline and only part of the events in IV's neutral ending actually end up happening because of the interruption. Honestly I greatly prefer the timeline in which IV Final never happens because the story and characters in IV Final are truly wretched crap lol. Extremely minor spoilers about how that works:

Spoiler

basically, at the beginning of IV Final, the protagonist Nanashi dies while Flynn, who is of course the player character from IV, is on his way to kill the final bosses of IV's neutral ending. This happens in both timelines. In the IV timeline, Nanashi stays dead. In the IV Final timeline, Nanashi comes back to life and meets Flynn and interrupts Flynn as he's about to carry out the IV neutral ending, altering the path of IV to being that of IV Final instead.

You can play III, Strange Journey, and IV any time you want, but there are lots of references to I and II in IV as well as a single rather blatant reference to Strange Journey with the presence of the Demonica suit.

I suppose you should also definitely play Avatar Tuner 2 (Digital Devil Saga 2) after the original Avatar Tuner, but that's not actually a Shin Megami Tensei game. Like pretty much everything else including Devil Survivor, Soul Hackers, and Persona, Atlus West slapped the Shin Megami Tensei title on those and lots of other spinoffs to help them sell after Shin Megami Tensei III was well-received.

I'm definitely going to be picking it up when it releases.  I have a few games in the series, although the only 1 that I got so hooked on that I played it start to finish without getting sidetracked by other games was SMT Devil Survivor Overclocked on 3DS.  I think it helped that I had a days long power outage due to Hurricane Irene just after that 3DS enhanced port released in 2011.  So, I was playing a lot of 3DS at home with no TV or console games to distract me.  Not to say that's the only reason I enjoyed the game though, far from it.  I also have Devil Summoner Soul Hackers and Shin Megami Tensei IV on 3DS, which I started but haven't gotten back to finishing yet.  And, I also started the SMT III Nocturne remaster on Switch recently.

The SMT series sucked me in with its amazing style and vibe, but when I actually started playing the main games I was much less enamoured. I guess that's because I was already in my my jRPG TB combat disillusionment phase. The SMT tries to spice things up in this department and offers bit more than the really pointless auto-battle Dragon Quest template, but the ones I've tried were still flawed. For example, not remember the exact game, but there was one which basically asks you to gamble huge amounts of XP on some unknown, irreversible and possibly useless outcomes (some sort of upgrade path that was)...and XP comes from hours of grind, of course. I just can't do this anymore, after being converted to the everything-matters roguelike style.

On the other hand, Digital Devil Saga is the total opposite, having one of the best combat systems seen in jRPGs. With an amzing soundtrack and mood/story to boot, this is the real winner.

• Like 1