IGNORED

Metroid Dread

Steven Pendleton

I'm kind of surprised there isn't a thread for this game yet, so I suppose I will make one myself.

It's Metroid. Yay~

Now I'm not a big fan of the developer of this game (this is a nice way to say that I actually pretty much hate them lol), but from what I have recently seen it seems that they might actually be making a nice game. After they announced that the game does have sequence-breaking (kind of a weird thing to announce, but whatever), I've started avoiding pretty much everything related to this game intentionally, but I'll return to this thread after I finish the game. I do wonder if that sequence-breaking that they mentioned is actual legitimate sequence-breaking they discovered during testing or if they intentionally built the game that way.

Supposedly all of the sequence breaks in Super Metroid are unintentional, but the devs left them in there anyway because they were brilliant developers and recognized them not as flaws but as something that made the game better. Supposedly this game's modeled after Super Metroid, so hopefully they manage to deliver something that at least approaches that game's quality.

5 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I'm kind of surprised there isn't a thread for this game yet, so I suppose I will make one myself.

It's Metroid. Yay~

Now I'm not a big fan of the developer of this game (this is a nice way to say that I actually pretty much hate them lol), but from what I have recently seen it seems that they might actually be making a nice game. After they announced that the game does have sequence-breaking (kind of a weird thing to announce, but whatever), I've started avoiding pretty much everything related to this game intentionally, but I'll return to this thread after I finish the game. I do wonder if that sequence-breaking that they mentioned is actual legitimate sequence-breaking they discovered during testing or if they intentionally built the game that way.

Supposedly all of the sequence breaks in Super Metroid are unintentional, but the devs left them in there anyway because they were brilliant developers and recognized them not as flaws but as something that made the game better. Supposedly this game's modeled after Super Metroid, so hopefully they manage to deliver something that at least approaches that game's quality.

I wouldn't call myself a Metroid mark. In fact I only beat the original, 2, and super within the past 4 years.

I do think Dread looks interesting and I'd rather play a side scrolled metroid than 3d. 

What is this sequence breaking stuff you mention?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

What is this sequence breaking stuff you mention?

So basically it's stuff like going to fight Kraid without the High Jump Boots, skipping the Varia Suit completely, skipping the Gravity Suit completely, getting the Wave Beam without the Grappling Beam, going to the Wrecked Ship without the Grappling Beam (and therefore getting the Gravity Suit before getting the Grappling Beam), getting the Super Missile without fighting Spore Spawn, getting the Reserve Tank in Brinstar without the Speed Booster, getting the Ice Beam without the Speed Booster, and other stuff like that. Super Metroid is full of ridiculous stuff like that and it's part of what makes the game so good.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Steven Pendleton said:

So basically it's stuff like going to fight Kraid without the High Jump Boots, skipping the Varia Suit completely, skipping the Gravity Suit completely, getting the Wave Beam without the Grappling Beam, going to the Wrecked Ship without the Grappling Beam (and therefore getting the Gravity Suit before getting the Grappling Beam), getting the Super Missile without fighting Spore Spawn, getting the Reserve Tank in Brinstar without the Speed Booster, getting the Ice Beam without the Speed Booster, and other stuff like that. Super Metroid is full of ridiculous stuff like that and it's part of what makes the game so good.

Ah I didn't know there was a name for that. Makes sense though.

The only thing I disliked about Super was the dumb wall jump.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

Ah I didn't know there was a name for that. Makes sense though.

The only thing I disliked about Super was the dumb wall jump.

You can completely avoid ever doing the wall jump. It is required for some of these sequence breaks, like fighting Kraid without the High Jump Boots.

actually, that's a bad example, as you can Bomb Jump up there without wall jumping. You may need it for early Wave Beam, though.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

I love the Metroid series (I think I've played every game) but I'm not interested in the least in sequence-breaking. I can understand it's important for speed runners, but since I tend to move on to the next when I beat a game (I don't have time to revisit any game), I want to experience the game as its designer created it. It may not be the funnest way (especially when the game designer is not very talented), but that's the most authentic to me.

• Like 3

To me this game is just another example of an old 2D classic which receives modern update with decent gameplay but pedestrian graphics (R-Type, Castlevania, etc). It's not that I usually care about gfx that much (roguelike/strategy/IF fan here) but in this case I find it unacceptable. These games used to be AAA titles, always with high quality gfx, which is still as dazzling as it was back then. And what we are getting now are passable but also rather bland and unexciting, Unity-level efforts. That's just not good enough, no matter how great the gameplay is (and let's face it, it's not extremely sophisticated to start with).

I was playing Gradius on PS2 the other day, with its mind-blowing 2.5D visuals, and thinking about the gulf between it and the latest R-Type. Of course, shoot'em ups  are a niche genre, so the devs can be somewhat excused for saving on gfx, but Metroid? It's still pretty much AAA fare and Nintendo could really push their teams and afford to spend a bit more on it. But they know it will still sell like hot cakes, so...sigh.

There's a game called Megasphere (from 2015). It got kinda stuck in Early Access and left unfinished, but its visuals put to shame the efforts from the aforementioned games and show what can be done when it comes to modern 2 or 2.5D art.

• Confused 1

I'm a wait n' see on Dread (aka metroid 5)  the whole bit of the stalking bots you can't hurt that can one shot kill you is a huge put off.  That stuff is rarely put into a game where it's fun and fairly executed, usually such mechanics end up flawed, infuriating, cheap as all get out, and really there to just extend the life of the game from the fury it creates.  The rest seems pretty nice, learning from the fair many of poor and dumb design choices put into the Metroid 2 remake.  I got rid of that one, couldn't tolerate it, adding in some gimmicky moves required just to survive, they exist in part with Dread, but are far far better executed in a natural feel sense but also are optional, not vital to survival which is good.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

I never played the 2 remake since I beat the original recently. I have heard mixed things about it.

Don't bother then.  Mixed is a very fair way to put it.

It's a love it or hate it game depending how you feel about how they approached the controls primarly coupoed with gameplay mechanics.

Love it? -- Because you like having a bunch of added functions for attack, they can be used to get more crafty with your kills, love the art style, added upgraded audio too, and the auto map.

Hate it? -- The added control functions are honestly gimmicky, and they're also clunky to use and are forced, if you don't use them you WILL die, a lot, infuriatingly so.  And the 2D/3D setup they use looks ok, but it's kind of bland and sterile losing the style the old 8bit version had.

I'd look into how the control work and see if you would find some button/touch kung fu would work for you, over and over again.  If it seems fine, go for it.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2021 at 9:09 PM, Steven Pendleton said:

There are 2 Metroid 2 remakes. The only one that you need to know about is the illegal one, AM2R, because it's extremely good. The other remake... isn't.

I have heard that the one that was shit down was better.

On 8/17/2021 at 2:18 PM, MrBeefy said:

I have heard that the one that was shit down was better.

No the shit one wasn't better, but the 'shut' down one is an utter piece of art those wankers at Nintendo should have taken a page or few from.  Basically AM2R was done specifically in line to match up with Nintendo's GBA efforts of Zero Mission and Fusion.  Same art style, same map style, all of it.  It's just beautiful, years of work thrown together in a way, if you caught it at a glance, had the maker done it on GBA, you'd swear Nintendo made it it's that damn good.  (Crass yeah but...) Fuck Samus Returns, it's awful on multiple levels.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

Uh, I don't agree at all. To be fair I haven't played AM2R, but I've seen several screen shots where it's quite obvious it mixes assets from different games on different systems, and it looks quite ugly to me.

There have been a few updates to AM2R by people outside of the original development team. Some of these updates changed some of the art assets. Even in the original version of the game, I always thought that some of the assets look like they came from different games, but it's never really bothered me since the game is so good.

And I perfectly understand that, but I guess I'm quite sensitive to art consistency. For instance I'm playing Cathedral right now, and I really don't like the fact that it mixes several resolutions (most graphics are low resolution but the HUD, esp. numbers and text, are in higher resolution). That being said, there are also things I don't like gameplay-wise, but it gives a general sense of a lack of polish (even though it took more than 5 years to develop I think).

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah Mirror of Fate wasn't fantastic, well the 3DS/Steam release was, but it also isn't that game, its like a Castlevania 3/SOTN hybrid of sorts that works nicely.

AM2R, art consistency aside, it's a rival to the 2 up on the GBA Nintendo did it is that good.  If you can stomach the visuals you should try it if you're a Metroid fan as it's a real disservice not to.

I'm so on the fence with Dread.  I'm just very concerned how much they carried over from the gimmicky wonky controlled samus returns.  The clips I've seen so far seem to lead me to think it's truly optional, not optional as in choosing suicide as a choice optional. ;)  That's how SR is annoyingly, button tango and gimmicky dodge etc moves or die is NOT fun, why I dumped it.  Dread seems to imply you can just play is pretty straight like Metroid 4 (Fusion) and before and be fine.  Hopefully the invincible seeker stuff isn't like super precision required or die style stuff either, as those get repetitive and grating fast.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Tempest said:

So is this what Prime 4 turned into or is that still being developed?

No this is unique and always has been.  Officially it's from the original line.  It's Metroid 5.

Metroid/Zero Mission

Metroid II/poorly done returns on 3DS

Super Metroid

Metroid Fusion is #4