IGNORED

Metroid Dread

Steven Pendleton

7 minutes ago, Reaperman said:

Quick question:

Does anything talk in this one?

No reviews have mentioned it, so I'm thinking not.

But I'd rather be safe than sorry. again.

Very little, during cutscenes.  I haven't finished it yet (in the final stretch, I believe) but so far you see about umpteen hundred versions of the same cutscene where you'll enter a room, but no dialog.  Then there's one where 2 characters have a conversation.

Oh... and there are a few instances where you shove your arm in a computer and it talks a bit, kind of telling you what's up and what to do next.

• Thanks 1

@Reaperman Largely no when playing.  But, when you hit these computer/map room spaces where a large circle is on the rear wall it does.  Your ships computer ADAM hacks into that and it will speak anywhere from a little to some decent lengths about what's to come, what you can try and do to survive limited as you are, how to deal or cope with the bs of the EMMIs, and other terrain need to know things.  It's helpful, and really moves things along very well section to section, but it's not some crutch or dog leash you get walked around on either.

Hard mode 100% done in 5:12:57, but I used my existing hard mode save file, which was saved at the final save point. Immediately after that, I did a normal mode playthrough on that same save file just to unlock everything in the extras section on one save file. 3:10:03, but I spent some time goofing around with sequence breaking. I'm pretty sure that one of the sequence breaks might actually be slower than going through the game "normally", if you can even call it "normal" given that there's a special cutscene and stuff for doing that sequence break that you will never see if you don't do it or go find it online or something. Close to getting it under 3 hours, though.

I think this is only the third Metroid game where I have actually gotten 100%, as the only ones I've bothered doing it with so far are Zero Mission and Samus Returns. I did also do it for AM2R, but you know...

Time for the hard mode 0% playthrough, I think. With a maximum of only 15 missiles for the entire game, bosses take a considerably longer amount of time to kill, especially the final boss, so I'm not really trying to go really fast.

I got the game on release day but only started to play it this past weekend and little here and there this week. I'm not sure where I'm at completion wise, but I've yet to be able to kill Kraid so that is where I've been hung up for several days now. 

As for upgrades I've found, just power shot, wide beam, morph ball, and have the Varia suit. I've got about 50 missiles and only 2 extra energy tank indications. I think I know what needs to be done to defeat Kraid, but I've not had much luck getting past the second phase of the battle yet.

I'm guessing there are other energy tanks I might need to try and find and collect to give me a little more livability during the fight to defeat him. But with that, I've really enjoyed what I've played so far!

I think I got un-lost, found my way through another spot of that complex where you get the wide beam.  I think the new area is called Burnecia or something of the sort.  I parked it before transferring over.  I'm thinking as it has been a bit, probably won't get any/much annoying EMMI action but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a key item maybe a few minor upgrades, maybe a boss...then back into where I am now so that place can finally get lit up and EMMI wiped.

patch notes:

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/56695#v101

GENERAL FIXES

• Fixed an issue where, if a map marker is placed on a specific door on the map screen (the door destroyed with the beam obtained at the end of the game), destroying that door at the end of the game would cause the game to forcefully quit with the message "The software was closed because an error occurred".
  • Fixed several other issues to improve overall gameplay experience.

Not sure what 'several other issues' is, specifically, though.

So the last boss beat my ass, so I decided to try again getting the missing items, with the help of videos that were far more convenient than the textual walkthrough I was using before... Got everything, sometimes quite easily actually, except for one missile upgrade on Burenia (the one that requires several dash "storing" in a row ?). But I thought I was missing 2 energy tanks while I was missing only one (two quarters to be precise), so I'm not sure the last boss will be much easier. I really don't see how you're supposed to evade several of his attacks, and I'm pretty sure he has other forms worse than the first. ?

On 10/21/2021 at 10:55 AM, digdugnate said:

patch notes:

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/56695#v101

Not sure what 'several other issues' is, specifically, though.

If any of those improve some of the shinespark stuff, then I'll be happy. Some of those are a real doozy and pushing the Y+B in mid-air as some YouTubers say you should do, doesn't work for me.

But I am really enjoying this game. One of my favorite Metroid titles...just wish that they wouldn't have written themselves into such a corner as to practically remove Metroids from the story. Seems like you should keep those in there a little more, given the game's namesake ;)

Edited by Shaggy the Atarian

13 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

But I am really enjoying this game. One of my favorite Metroid titles...just wish that they wouldn't have written themselves into such a corner as to practically remove Metroids from the story. Seems like you should keep those in there a little more, given the game's namesake ;)

Doing that as early as Metroid II really does make it seem like the writers had to go way out of their way to find ways to include Metroids ever since.

I beat the game yesterday! Regarding the boss:

Spoiler

• 1st phase is quite easy with practice, especially since there are several way to regain health. Destroy his black spheres with 4 missiles for instance. You can only hit him when he does his counterable attack, which launches an animation (no QTE during it, so don't worry) during which you can spam him with missiles. Usually, the third time is the last before phase 2.
  • 2nd phase is the most difficult to me, because the boss has many different attacks and one of them is a pita to escape, when he shoots at 360° around him. You basically have to space jump around him (which is often annoying because you can only jump after the peak of the previous leap - it's easier against a wall, though) and maybe use a dash or two. This phase is very long, too.
  • 3rd phase is similar to the first, but with difficult ramped up. When he launches a sphere of fire, destroy it with a mega bomb. Again you'll have to wait for his dash that you can counter. If you have some health left, it shouldn't be too hard. It was a lot quicker than phase 2 in my experience.

After that, you're not finished yet but there are checkpoints (at least before the final sequence - if you played Metroid games before, you can guess what it is).

• Thanks 1

I'm right on this bit of rage right now with the game, fuck this game rage... that underwater plant tentacle thing can go to hell.  The most maddening part, I get what to do, when to do it, but the shitty button kung fu involved in going between the blaster, grapple, detach, blaster, missile, grapple, repeat my hands get utterly confused and I get spiked, largely by and just the 3 tentacle death spike attack since there's no deflection to it.  I can get into phase two and it's just game over...again and again.  Started to smack my switch on the countertop pissed and put it up before I bent the thing or worse.  I'm used to using all those buttons, sticks and stuff in many other games, but here it's just infuriatingly clunky...almost as bad as suckass returns the metroid 2 demake on 3DS.

I want to go back to this, not tonight, still be mad tomorrow about it...eventually.  This sucks as I enjoy the navigation and stuff, and enough of the larger battles, but this one with the button party is shitty, utterly shitty.

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

I'm right on this bit of rage right now with the game, fuck this game rage... that underwater plant tentacle thing can go to hell.  The most maddening part, I get what to do, when to do it, but the shitty button kung fu involved in going between the blaster, grapple, detach, blaster, missile, grapple, repeat my hands get utterly confused and I get spiked, largely by and just the 3 tentacle death spike attack since there's no deflection to it.  I can get into phase two and it's just game over...again and again.  Started to smack my switch on the countertop pissed and put it up before I bent the thing or worse.  I'm used to using all those buttons, sticks and stuff in many other games, but here it's just infuriatingly clunky...almost as bad as suckass returns the metroid 2 demake on 3DS.

I want to go back to this, not tonight, still be mad tomorrow about it...eventually.  This sucks as I enjoy the navigation and stuff, and enough of the larger battles, but this one with the button party is shitty, utterly shitty.

You can skip that boss entirely. You can do this

or this

or this

I haven't fought that boss since my first playthrough since there is no reason to do so.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Seems video 3 is a patchable cheat.  The other two, that's legit finding an angle to crack that pink puff there to blow the wall.  That would avoid that piece of crap boss.  I mean is there even a benefit to killing that thing?

Yeah, taking the time to kill it will add to your timer at the end of the game. If you are looking to get the gallery pictures that you get for having between 4 and 8 hours of time on your timer, it helps, I guess... but so does just standing around doing nothing lol.

For the third one, I actually tried it in a different location last night, as there are multiple points where it can be done. It took me 25~30 seconds to master it, and it got me an early Missile Tank and in another completely different location it got me into an area that I wasn't supposed to be in yet both backwards and early. Fun glitch! I think you might be able to use it to skip a certain other boss, for that matter, and in doing so bypass the Diffusion Beam entirely, as I think that is actually not required at all to finish the game because of this glitch. I might be wrong about not needing the Diffusion Beam, but I know that you can absolutely skip at least 2 bosses entirely with it.

• Like 1

Have a question about this game. Any older players having no problem playing the game or does anyone have any problems. I remember when Super Metroid first came out and got through it fine. This one, having a lot of problems. Wish they would come out with an official strategy guide with complete walkthrough. Guess my age is showing. lol Appreciate any feedback or help!

Edited by thegamezmaster