IGNORED

Metroid Dread

Steven Pendleton

8 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

Motion controls in Prime 2? On the Wii trilogy I guess...

Yeah I played it both ways.  I *think* they toned the difficulty down in the Wii release but since it was originally designed for the GC controller I found that fight to actually be  harder.  

4 hours ago, Tempest said:

Yeah I played it both ways.  I *think* they toned the difficulty down in the Wii release but since it was originally designed for the GC controller I found that fight to actually be  harder.  

They did make the Wii versions easier by one difficulty level.

Is it really toned down?  I didn't notice a difference, behaviors at least.  I think it just is easier and feels easier because you're able to respond faster and cleaner since it plays like the FPS that it is. The garbage design of the GC version where you waste the c-stick for visors was insane because space pirates could instantly attack you and be locked taking shots.  You having to hit #1 button to stand in place to free look(aim) then #2 another button to attain a lock, and then #3 to fire your weapon locked on a target.  Stupid, fiddly, and instant damage guaranteed since you're a fat bullseye working to get lock while they're free to bob weave and open fire.  That doesn't happen on the superior Wii trilogy since combat is even footing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2021 at 2:36 PM, Tanooki said:

Is it really toned down?  I didn't notice a difference, behaviors at least.  I think it just is easier and feels easier because you're able to respond faster and cleaner since it plays like the FPS that it is. The garbage design of the GC version where you waste the c-stick for visors was insane because space pirates could instantly attack you and be locked taking shots.  You having to hit #1 button to stand in place to free look(aim) then #2 another button to attain a lock, and then #3 to fire your weapon locked on a target.  Stupid, fiddly, and instant damage guaranteed since you're a fat bullseye working to get lock while they're free to bob weave and open fire.  That doesn't happen on the superior Wii trilogy since combat is even footing.

Yes, Wii normal is easier than Gamecube normal, which is the lowest setting on Gamecube, veteran is the same as Gamecube normal, and hypermode is the same as Gamecube hard. Why they did this is beyond me. I will say that the Wii version of Prime is inferior to the original NTSC-U 0-00 Gamecube version of Prime, though. That's the one you want to play, as the Wii version has both worse graphics and gameplay than Gamecube NTSC-U 0-00.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

I'll agree on the minor graphical downgrades which were mystifying, but the neglectfully setup broken control on the Gamecube is in no way better than being able to move/strafe, lock, and fire without standing there as target practices on the cube.  One of the dumbest design choices Nintendo was fine with I can remember.

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I'll agree on the minor graphical downgrades which were mystifying, but the neglectfully setup broken control on the Gamecube is in no way better than being able to move/strafe, lock, and fire without standing there as target practices on the cube.  One of the dumbest design choices Nintendo was fine with I can remember.

No, not the controls, this

https://tcrf.net/Metroid_Prime/Version_Differences#USA_0-00

is why the NTSC-U 0-00 version is superior.

Seems you're upset about some bugs with sequence breaking, softlocks, and the rest to speed things along and take short cuts being removed and getting salty over it reading the 01 and 02 parts.  I've got no issue with them fixing problems that left the game easy to skirt around things they hadn't intended.

My issue entirely with Prime on Cube is the garbage choice of wasting the c-stick on visors for what's effectively a FPS game even if Nintendo lives in denial over that.  Wasting the C-stick makes you have to stand there, get shot up by enemies, usually bosses/space pirates as you fiddle with like a combo of 3 buttons to stand in place, move camera to target, then tap+hold a button to lock on that target, and then start firing so you can trace their movements to defend yourself.  It's horrible, I didn't like it a lot when the Cube game was it, but when Trilogy dropped and I saw how much that made the game far more even footed and fun I wouldn't look back.  I still have the Cube game, but it's a dusty shelf ornament.

The only thing that removing sequence breaks from the game does is make the game worse, especially in any cases where they are more difficult than progressing through the game normally, like getting the Varia Suit in Zero Mission immediately after Bombs/before leaving Brinstar for the first time/without Power Grip.

There is literally nothing preventing you from doing any of this, as all you have to do is go to the right area and do some jumping and you can get some stuff early. Go check out the early Plasma Beam. No glitching involved at all. Literally none. The devs just decided to give the players the middle finger for some reason.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/15/2021 at 6:40 PM, Steven Pendleton said:

My goal is to reduce this time to 3 hours at most and hopefully under 2 hours and 30 minutes.

Complete

2022011923403600-9A9B6E0371D34263D6B6577F9CBA54D5.thumb.jpg.b41d5f8f47c7bb655d053f1d88715416.jpg

After about a dozen playthroughs using various sequence breaks in various orders, today I tried an almost sequence breakless playthrough. Most of the sequence breaks require you to go so far out of your way that they actually waste time instead of helping, aside from skipping that one boss, which unquestionably helps a lot, and maybe early Grapple Beam, both of which I did do along with a few others that I am not really sure help, but I also don't think they hurt too much if they do. I am not certain if I am going to go for the sub-2 hour time, but I may consider trying it. 1:45 would be cool, but I think that might require a lot of research and planning and I'm lazy.

Edited by Steven Pendleton