IGNORED

Colecovision Controller works fine except joystick

zoo237

I got this old Colecovision from Creig’s list which is pretty dirt,  controlle is fine, everything works perfect as it should except the joystick which only works if I push it to the right SOMETIMES if I’m playing a game and push the controller to the left hard enough it might make my character move slightly to the left, the other directions don’t work at all 

Here’s what the inside looks like

image.jpg

image.jpg

The contacts under the directional guide may be corroded.  Try some deoxit to see if it improves any when you push a contact down.  If so, and if it's still not good enough, you may have to de-solder the top part and then scrub both the underside and the contact nub below it with contact cleaner until both are shiny again.

If you don't want to desolder or don't have the tools to do so, I've come up with an alternate method that works pretty good. I take some card stock and cutting it into thin strips to fit under the tabs, spraying Deoxit under those tabs, putting the strip under the tab, push down in the tab with my finger, and pull the strip out. Keep repeating the process till no more black marks appear on the strips on both sides. 

Card stock is thick enough that it doesn't tear easily when wet. And the paper fibers act like an extremely mild abrasive for helping mechanically clean the contacts along with the deoxit. 

6 hours ago, ChildOfCv said:

The contacts under the directional guide may be corroded.  Try some deoxit to see if it improves any when you push a contact down.  If so, and if it's still not good enough, you may have to de-solder the top part and then scrub both the underside and the contact nub below it with contact cleaner until both are shiny again.

I actually take this a slight step further. I use my fiberglass pen to rough up the rivet contacts. Then I apply a layer of solder over them. Doing that and cleaning up the underside of the spring pad and they are likely good to go for life. Just have to be careful not to apply too much solder as if it domes up too much it will make contact all the time and cause the spring pad to crack from the added pressure. So I just make sure to apply a thing layer that is as flat as I can get it.