IGNORED

How to get Windows 10 onto your VCS for free using a USB SSD

Mockduck

18 minutes ago, zzip said:

you keep emphasizing SSD.  Is there a reason an external mechanical hard drive can't be used?

Well, I am not a PC expert, but it seems like the read and write speed of an external mechanical drive would not be fast enough to have a good experience running Windows on it. I guess if it works then use it, right, but it seems like you'd both want and need an SSD to run the OS on an external drive.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mockduck said:

Well, I am not a PC expert, but it seems like the read and write speed of an external mechanical drive would not be fast enough to have a good experience running Windows on it. I guess if it works then use it, right, but it seems like you'd both want and need an SSD to run the OS on an external drive.

Since Windows can run on internal mechanical and the VCS has fast USB, I would think it would work well enough.

I don't have any unused ssds, but have several external mechanical drives so was thinking of trying to see how well some of my Windows games run on this thing.

I used a spre 1TB 2.5" mechanical hard drive and used that to install Ubuntu.  Works aboslutely fine through USB.  No noticable lag within Ubuntu.  Runs RetroPi for Linux with no probems,

Edited by rayik
added HDD uses USB connection

speaking as a complete novice who has never done anything like this before, would there be any advantages to purchasing an SSD drive with Windows 10 already installed on it and then hooking it up to the Atari VCS? I was so bummed when I found out I couldn't try out Steam and Stadia just going onto the already installed Google Chrome. ? If it's that easy, which would be the best one to buy for this purpose?

Edited by joe91074

2 hours ago, joe91074 said:

speaking as a complete novice who has never done anything like this before, would there be any advantages to purchasing an SSD drive with Windows 10 already installed on it and then hooking it up to the Atari VCS? I was so bummed when I found out I couldn't try out Steam and Stadia just going onto the already installed Google Chrome. ? If it's that easy, which would be the best one to buy for this purpose?

No, because installing Windows, on any "computer" does not work that way. During the installation process the operating system writes specific details to the registry, info about the hardware including drives, partitions, specifications etc as well it installs drivers specific to your hardware. This is why a fresh install of Windows is always recommended. Yes sometimes you CAN get away with just plugging in a Pre-installed Windows and then selecting to boot from it in the BIOS but again it can often fail or Blue Screen because of differences between the PC that was used to install and the one you have now attached it to. 

Getting Windows 10 on an SSD drive would save you about 20-30 minutes of downloading and transferring the file to your SSD, and presumably the purchase would include a license for Windows 10, so you'd get that. Otherwise, it wouldn't do much in terms of the end result. It would mean you wouldn't have to download the ISO from Microsoft or get it onto the USB with WintoUSB or similar.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/20/2021 at 7:06 PM, tripled79 said:

I've tried this so many times and I can't get the VCS to work with the USB drive... Oh well. I'm fine with Amstream Arcade.

This may sound silly, but make sure your SSD isn’t locked due to a password.  I followed the instructions and it worked for me as well. I now have the latest version of Stella on my external SSD and this micro console is getting better by the day. 

The only issue I have is with the pairing of my original controller. Otherwise, this is a decent micro console with two controllers for $250.

On 11/25/2021 at 5:24 PM, sramirez2008 said:

This may sound silly, but make sure your SSD isn’t locked due to a password.  I followed the instructions and it worked for me as well. I now have the latest version of Stella on my external SSD and this micro console is getting better by the day. 

The only issue I have is with the pairing of my original controller. Otherwise, this is a decent micro console with two controllers for $250.

I've never heard of or encountered password locked SSDs... but I'm pretty sure that's not the problem here.

I really don't care for the Windows operating system anyway, so I'm content to just use the Atari OS for now.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...