IGNORED

Rikki&Vikki to spare?

Wilheim

4 hours ago, Giles N said:

I’ll be rich, rich, rich… I have a physical Rikki and Vikki cart… ?

I’ll start my new local Rikki and Vikki museum anytime soon now… I’ll have thousands upon thousands of visitors

… every Millenia or so…

Or PenguinNet could sell their license to AtariAge for profit and to rid themselves of Steam-updates an’ all…

… oh-no, I never said that…

… I’ll be burnt on the stake or something similar…

… all such words just came out-of-mystical-mist…

I’m nowhere…

I just cleared my throat…

… hope not to burn…

… only wanted to get the 7800 on and on and on…

(forget this post if it disturb you)

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, swlovinist said:

Review copy with personal letter talking about the NES to 7800 adaptors thrown in.   This game is awesome.   

013.JPG

Everyone knows its awesome…

… and no-one gets it on 7800 hardware anylonger…

Ay, there’s the rub…

- - -

Are PenguinNet making profit on this…?

Would … AA … have an interest of profit or broadness of available games if they owned it…

… and would PenguinNet be happy to forget anything and all about it and move on…?

What do I know.

I’m just thinking out loud.

6 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

I picked up my copy last year from Telegames.co.uk  They had a few copies left for sale. 

I have Zaku. But there are a lot of people who don't and would find a lot of enjoyment playing these games if they were released again.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Giles N said:

Ay, there’s the rub…

- - -

Would … AA … have an interest of profit or broadness of available games if they owned it…

… and would PenguinNet be happy to forget anything and all about it and move on…?

What do I know.

I’m just thinking out loud.

Atariage would not profit from it they are not slime balls and respect developers wishes.  IT IS OVER LET IT GO!!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, neogeo1982 said:

I have Zaku. But there are a lot of people who don't and would find a lot of enjoyment playing these games if they were released again.

True, but Zaku at least had three separate runs (over 1000 carts sold) and 550 Rikki & Vikki’s wasn’t a bad run either.  They may not make anymore of either cart, but at least they weren’t small runs. It took years to sell out of each.

Yargh, my ears are burning!

On 10/25/2021 at 3:58 PM, nick3092 said:

That's not serial #1 on that auction. It's serial #500. As far as I have seen all the cards were shipped numbered 1-#. I'm guessing that means run 1, incase a 2nd run is ever done (not likely based on the devs comments).

The tagging format is [TYPE] - [NUMBER], where the [TYPE] indicates what the unit's intended fate was...

• 0 - INTERNAL
  • 1 - RETAIL
  • 2 - DISTRIBUTOR
  • 9 - REVIEW

...so additional copies would continue from 551 onward.

On 10/25/2021 at 6:10 PM, koolmoecraig said:

What's a fair/realistic price to pay for one of these?

$9.99 on Steam, which usually drops down to $1.99 or $0.99 during the seasonal sales.

On 10/25/2021 at 9:33 PM, sramirez2008 said:

Alright…who purchased number 1?

The real question is who purchased number zero, and ah - there he is.

20 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

Nothing you bring up is new sorry to say. It was all hashed and rehashed many times in 59 pages of the original thread

Right, and let's do another recap below, just in case...

While we wouldn't have to pay for the tooling a second time, because it took so long to sell out the first run and we didn't get the digital sales we needed - I couldn't keep everyone involved onboard, fund the ports to other modern platforms (PlayStation, XBOX, Switch, etc...), or kick off the development of a second game - all of which were critical to staying afloat. Then the pandemic happened.

So again, while the enthusiasm for more physical copies is appreciated - it's just not feasible right now. Significant effort was spent to make the game available digitally, so it could be affordable during this incredibly stupid WATA bubble, so it would never be lost, and this seems to be swept under the rug repeatedly.

I don't have the funds or the energy, and to be honest - I no longer care.

14 hours ago, Giles N said:

Ay, there’s the rub…

I'm trying to nudge support for it into @SainT's upcoming 7800GD, so players may download the digital version and then use its resources to play it on the real deal. I apologize if this is viewed as not good enough, or I am not putting in the effort, but it is the best I can do.

14 hours ago, Giles N said:

Nope, the game was developed at a loss. I'm not sure there's a solid grasp here on how much software development actually costs, and that you're effectively paying to make someone's time worthwhile - right now that's not the case.

13 hours ago, neogeo1982 said:

There's a lot of confusion regarding Zaku's licensing, to clarify - Super Fighter Team published the game and owns the rights to it, PenguiNet developed it. So while I do appreciate getting asked to produce more copies, I can't actually do anything here. To prevent further speculation (because this is a forum, on the internet) - this is an amiable situation for both parties.

When Rikki & Vikki was in development I was put everything else aside in order to ensure it actually shipped, and it did - but not in the numbers we needed to continue. I'm sorry if reality sucks.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

I would be pretty excited for a legal way to buy a ROM for a 7800 GameDrive. Does the Concerto not support a DRM lock?

There's no DRM in Rikki & Vikki, the lack of support outside of BupSystem and the real hardware is due to the game's custom mapper and audio coprocessor. As of writing, the former is implemented in the MiSTer and there's yet to be anything to fully replicate both modules. All this whizbang stuff has been available under the zlib (extremely generous - do whatever you want) license since December 2018.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TailChao said:

Nope, the game was developed at a loss. I'm not sure there's a solid grasp here on how much software development actually costs, and that you're effectively paying to make someone's time worthwhile - right now that's not the case.

I personally do not even know the approximate costs of such productions, much less the precise costs. Now, I think you’ve provided very good services. And if even go those extra miles to have a version on this 7800GD project, thats great! 

But of course I do understand that there will be limits on things. I also think you have expressed being somewhat tired of the project and wanting to get on with other things. Which is why I just threw out the idea of selling the licence - get some decent money for it, possibly rid oneself of a burden or a project that is just (hypothetically) bogging one down.

Now, there are those that take such concepts - ideas springing from the mind in the moment - as a far too momentous a statement than I meant it.

I’m not like giving orders here.

I threw out an idea that seemed to me - an outsider as to the details of logistics and the final calculation - a win-win scenario.

And that was how I meant it: as some sort of loose idea or input that if the realities behind conformed to, or suited such a take or solution, may benefit everyone at least a little.

In this case; you’d get some more money, not just working for very small dollars, AtariAge (or another publisher - I mentioned AA because it was the first that came to my head) could get to own a neo-classic for the 7800, and gamers couid get hold of the game on cart-hardware.

It was an idea of the moment.

I offered it not to stress-out people, but to think aloud creatively.

So, it wasn’t that much more to it.

Edited by Giles N

7 minutes ago, Giles N said:

I personally do not even know the approximate costs of such productions, much less the precise costs. Now, I think you’ve provided very good services. And I understand that there will be limits on things. I also think you have expressed being somewhat tired of the project and wanting to get on with other things. Which is why I just threw out the idea of selling the licence - get some decent money for it, possibly rid oneself of a burden or a project that just bogging one down.

This requires the license to be worth more outside of my hands rather than in them. Right now my responsibility for Rikki & Vikki is just showing up at this forum every six months and typing "no". I do have a list of things I'd like to improve in the Windows version, but they're all on top of something which is already relatively stable. So this is a non-issue, and I've already moved on to other things.

7 minutes ago, Giles N said:

In this case; you’d get some more money, not just working for very small dollars, AtariAge (or another publisher - I mentioned AA because it was the first that came to my head) could get to own a neo-classic for the 7800, and gamers couid get hold of the game on cart-hsrdware.

I'd prefer the manufacturing work to go to the same individuals who made the original run possible, both because they deserve it and I would like to maintain consistency with the prior run in terms of quality and price - but that also requires doing several hundred in one go. There were 150 copies allocated for distributors when the game launched and there was zero interest in these until they had already been sold to customers and the studio had drowned.

Unless some mystery benefactor shows up with a sack of cash to fund an entire game on a full time schedule, no - I'm not interested.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, juansolo said:

That video mod is super interesting. Basically when we thought we'd been clever with the chroma timing thing. Turned out we were re-inventing the wheel and Tailchao had that all sorted ages ago. Looks a great little mod that.

It's okay, and what I used to capture all the hardware footage of the game - but you're being a little generous. The chroma really should have been delayed in a better manner than gate propagations (which are too fast) and it's lacking an audio amplifier.

If you're looking for the really clever kit, it's this one.

Edited by TailChao
  • Like 8

Man, I'm bummed to read there was a second game planned. Would have loved a sequel. This was an absolute gem on the system, and it's sad to see the ones making any money on this are the ones flipping it for a $1000 instead of the cool dudes at Penguinet. Played through it a lot on steam with a friend, almost got all the achievements too.

Edited by QDBuckwheat
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, QDBuckwheat said:

Man, I'm bummed to read there was a second game planned. Would have loved a sequel. This was an absolute gem on the system, and it's sad to see the ones making any money on this are the ones flipping it for a $1000 instead of the cool dudes at Penguinet. Played through it a lot on steam with a friend, almost got all the achievements too.

Could be cool if you and your friend made a YouTube playthrough-video with what achievements you got etc…

(I often relax to the 8bit-soundy atmosphere of retrogame-playthrough-videos… ? ) ??

16 minutes ago, Giles N said:

Could be cool if you and your friend made a YouTube playthrough-video with what achievements you got etc…

(I often relax to the 8bit-soundy atmosphere of retrogame-playthrough-videos… ? ) ??

Speaking of the soundtrack though, I saw there's a CD-copy of the soundtrack up on bandcamp and grabbed a copy today before that ends up selling out.

https://rushjet1.com/album/rikki-vikki

2 hours ago, QDBuckwheat said:

Speaking of the soundtrack though, I saw there's a CD-copy of the soundtrack up on bandcamp and grabbed a copy today before that ends up selling out.

https://rushjet1.com/album/rikki-vikki

Just tried to buy the CD version and got all sorts of errors not allowing me to complete the purchase :(