Jump to content
Wilheim

Rikki&Vikki to spare?

Recommended Posts

Peer pressure is a very real thing... because since everyone else is doing it...

 

1196860844_78_RV_38.thumb.jpg.8aec345c6a74dda72794f4d7fe94c35f.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, I messaged the seller and he said that Ebay auction really sold for $999.99!

 

Said he couldn't believe it either!

 

OMG. Is that really feasible? Is that the going price? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Kaboomer said:

Is that really feasible? Is that the going price? 

If it is, I may need to consider selling mine.😉

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kaboomer said:

OK, I messaged the seller and he said that Ebay auction really sold for $999.99!

Said he couldn't believe it either!

OMG. Is that really feasible? Is that the going price? 

I wonder if there's a universe where people plan and scheme to artificially inflate prices by having buddies or business partners "buy" into such an auction.

:ponder:

Probably exists in the same universe where a company 'authority' grades video game media condition, place them in clear shells, and then the media can become priced ridiculous high.  The company name may be also known as a computer graphics standard acronym like CGA, EGA.. or another one. :D

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was there the day the game was announced. I was laying on the couch with an career ending injury.  It brought me so much joy. I must have watched the trailer 500 times. 

What a great game. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Trebor said:

I wonder if there's a universe where people plan and scheme to artificially inflate prices by having buddies or business partners "buy" into such an auction.

:ponder:

Probably exists in the same universe where a company 'authority' grades video game media condition, place them in clear shells, and then the media can become priced ridiculous high.  The company name may be also known as a computer graphics standard acronym like CGA, EGA.. or another one. :D

Well Wata & Heritage have created a very large bubble of artificial inflation on the retro market. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Trebor said:

I wonder if there's a universe where people plan and scheme to artificially inflate prices by having buddies or business partners "buy" into such an auction.

:ponder:

I messaged the seller and they seemed shocked too. They just listed it at that to get offers. I don’t think this was any kind of inflation gambit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad the seller updated the listing.  Seemed like he really needed the money.

 

 

You guys got me curious what number mine was so...

 

image.thumb.jpeg.5522a24324fac842679f344104f3fe8c.jpeg

 

169 Dude!  **Jams air guitar!**

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go on then I'll join the party too.

 

RnV.thumb.jpg.059a5c8540aab7f025efe535bb42866a.jpg

 

I don't need a grand bad enough to get rid of a game I really like to play on my 7800 or to fuel this bubble. I even sold my Jag Game Drive for marginally less than I paid for it. It's just people exploiting a limited market and it really grinds my gears because the people that actually made this stuff don't see any of it.

 

I don't consider anyone who'd partake in scalping to actually be at all interested in the hobby, because if they were, it's the last thing they'd do. I mean look at the Jaguar, objectively it's not a great console and there are a handful of good games for it (commercial releases) and none of them, not even T2K are worth the prices they're at right now. It's all bullshit because people who actually want to play and preserve these things are priced out by collectors and speculators. It'll be the death of the hobby if it continues, I mean who's going to buy the homebrew when the consoles are now so expensive they're just not worth it anymore?

Edited by juansolo
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never even opened the box of mine.  Stuffed it in the closet where it sits.  Need to play that thing.  Just no juice right now for gaming. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, nick3092 said:

Someone either ponied up the $1k or the seller accepted an offer. I just got an email from ebay it's no longer available. 

Read up in the thread as apparently someone did indeed pay the 1G asking price.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Read up in the thread as apparently someone did indeed pay the 1G asking price.

 

Yup, I had a look at it, and eBay-mail told me its no longer available…

 

…wonder if the new owner just gonna play, or put up his own exhibit for his (and less likely her) copy of it.

 

Perhaps in the future people will pay tickets to come and see a physical

Rikki and Vikki cart…??

Edited by Giles N
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thats crazy 1k...I dont think you will be able to reproduce that sale, at least many times. Sure prices are bonkers, especially since covid hit. But thats really surprising. Of course scarcity helps and high price sales do happen on ebay, but also how many people out there are really willing to pay 1k for it? Most people that have been collecting for a while will be able to recall what it originally cost, not really that long ago, and refuse to pay that much for it. 

 

Any thoughts as to why the dev wont do a 2nd run? By the looks and sounds of it, they would probably sell a ton of copies. Seems like a weird business move. I know I would buy one... Im in the same boat as SearsRoeBuck, I was going to get it but kept putting it off over and over, when I went to go back and actually buy it, it was sold out :(.

Maybe we need to get a petition going so they do another run lol.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sdamike said:

 

Any thoughts as to why the dev wont do a 2nd run?

The author posted about it many times in the dedicated thread while the game was being sold: it took a very long time to develop, including designing their own PCB with custom sound-tracker hardware; having custom cart shells made; developing all the software tools to program the game itself including a 7800 emulator and sound-tracker code; having boxes professionally made; having the manual and inserts all professionally printed; etc. and then it took waaaaaay too long to sell out the run to make it worth keeping everything up. To do another run would mean a big cash outlay again for PCBs (assuming they can even be made with the current chip shortages), boxes, manuals, etc., then hoping they sell fast enough to make it worthwhile. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Giles N said:

Perhaps in the future people will pay tickets to come and see a physical Rikki and Vikki cart…??

I would pay $5 for a ticket today…

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

The author posted about it many times in the dedicated thread while the game was being sold: it took a very long time to develop, including designing their own PCB with custom sound-tracker hardware; having custom cart shells made; developing all the software tools to program the game itself including a 7800 emulator and sound-tracker code; having boxes professionally made; having the manual and inserts all professionally printed; etc. and then it took waaaaaay too long to sell out the run to make it worth keeping everything up. To do another run would mean a big cash outlay again for PCBs (assuming they can even be made with the current chip shortages), boxes, manuals, etc., then hoping they sell fast enough to make it worthwhile. 

 

Ah, well thats disappointing. Still seems like half of the leg work would be there already though. All the artwork, all dimensions, the rom itself, if customs cart shells were made the tooling should still exist, all of the knowledge of having done it all before etc.

People could pre order or pay up front, thats how other games, statues, and many other small runs are done. There are ways around things.

I understand what your saying on the chips, but its not like every company is not able to produce anything anymore. I agree making something right now may bring additional complications, but that doesn't mean it will always be this way.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sdamike said:

Ah, well thats disappointing. Still seems like half of the leg work would be there already though. All the artwork, all dimensions, the rom itself, if customs cart shells were made the tooling should still exist, all of the knowledge of having done it all before etc.

People could pre order or pay up front, thats how other games, statues, and many other small runs are done. There are ways around things.

I understand what your saying on the chips, but its not like every company is not able to produce anything anymore. I agree making something right now may bring additional complications, but that doesn't mean it will always be this way.

Nothing you bring up is new sorry to say. It was all hashed and rehashed many times in 59 pages of the original thread

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

I would pay $5 for a ticket today…

I’ll be rich, rich, rich… I have a physical Rikki and Vikki cart… 😂

 

I’ll start my new local Rikki and Vikki museum anytime soon now… I’ll have thousands upon thousands of visitors

… every Millenia or so…

Edited by Giles N
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

Nothing you bring up is new sorry to say. It was all hashed and rehashed many times in 59 pages of the original thread

Ok, Sounds like I'm beating a dead horse and didnt know that I was lol

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...