Jump to content
Caterpiggle

Atari 400 on eBay (Not mine) Salt eat keys

Recommended Posts

My first thought was that the white stuff looked like what you get from super glue fumes.  Then I noticed that the markings on some of the keys looked like they had drifted or floated away from where they were supposed to be.  Maybe someone tried cleaning the keyboard with some sort of solvent (acetone, maybe?)?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hello StickJock,

Maybe someone put the wrong chemicals to clean the keyboard membrane ? So it is NOT salt as I thought ...

 

How to clean properly without any damaged printed keys on membrane ? Any idea how ?

Edited by Caterpiggle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah, that looks rough, mold, rust, melt... does not inspire confidence at all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really puts the old bullet-proof 400 keyboard to the test.

 

I think it was years of use/abuse by a fat guy with big sweaty hands.

 

1802564817_fatguy.thumb.png.50e8abaa18d6bd54a61a20edcd2210d2.png

 

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MrFish said:

fat guy with big sweaty hand

 

Gotta love those "athletic" biceps... 😂😁

 

I have gotten and seen equipment that makes you wonder what kind of wreck the owners' lives may have ben...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'd have to agree that it looks like some type of caustic cleaner or solvent was used on it, maybe even Goof-Off. Although everything needs a good Windex cleaning, most everything else but the keyboard looks to be in decent shape, I was surprised at how good the translucent cover of the printer looks, generally if the equipment isn't taken care of well, that type of stuff gets scratches and abrasions on them. I don't know why people don't take the time to clean and maybe detail vintage equipment before they sell it. One, you get more people interested because it looks better taken care of, two it can sell for a higher price because it looks better. for an extra 10 minutes of your time.

 

But I guess I really do know why, simple extreme laziness, the same laziness that got the equipment that dirty in the first place. But I find it unfathomable because anything I sell, working or not, I make it look the best it can for presentation and if it does work or I repair it (which I usually do, I rarely sell equipment for parts/repair.) I clean and refurbish or restore back to as close to new condition as I can for both self-respect and more and faster sales for more money. I see 400 membrane keyboards up for sale all the time, if it were me selling that 400 I would first buy a another keyboard and install it before I sell it. If I couldn't repair it, I'd still buy the replacement and include it with sale. Even that would attract more possible sales just because it shows you care, and respect prospective buyers.

 

I always get al laugh when I see to of the same items listed by different sellers, one is immaculate looking and the other looks like it was in a barn or worse for decades and either they are similarly priced, or the dirty one is set at a higher price!:?

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MrFish said:

Really puts the old bullet-proof 400 keyboard to the test.

 

I think it was years of use/abuse by a fat guy with big sweaty hands.

 

1802564817_fatguy.thumb.png.50e8abaa18d6bd54a61a20edcd2210d2.png

 

That guy would never be allowed near my electronics, I sometimes eat and drink while I'm using my computers, but I use this fantastic invention called a TV tray to set the food and drink on, with good separation from the computers in case of an accident. I have a nice wooden TV tray I keep near my computers and workbench for eating and for a bit more space if I need it, beyond my workbench, when I working on electronics. I even use a place mat for food and coaster for my drink though, so the sweat doesn't ruin my nice wooden TV tray(s). But I'm a neat freak, especially when it comes to my computers and the area around them. But I'm not compulsive though, my work vehicle floors tend to look like this guys desk at the end of the week, for example. But besides my work vehicles that constantly take punishment anyway, I take care of my possessions and keep them clean.

 

On the other hand, my brother is a complete slob and his areas and possessions generally are disgusting. He doesn't come near my equipment. We're like the odd couple since he moved in with me to help take care of our mother (she needs someone 24/7).

Edited by Gunstar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All I know is, that printer, the Axiom AT-100, is a terrible printer.  I have it.  Not good quality at all.  DBM...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Caterpiggle said:

That was some session on The Softporn Adventure.... Never has typing been so er productive....The 400's splash proof kb saves the day..

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

That was some session on The Softporn Adventure.... Never has typing been so er productive....The 400's splash proof kb saves the day..

Ectoplasm!  It was a ghost.

759015_735x390.jpeg

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it just me, or is that keyboard not even mounted square in the case? Looks to be rotated slightly clockwise.

 

Some very bad things have happened to this 400.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, adam242 said:

Is it just me, or is that keyboard not even mounted square in the case? Looks to be rotated slightly clockwise.

 

Some very bad things have happened to this 400.

That gives me a theory on what happened to it. That 400 got a replacement keyboard, one of the real key after market jobs. The person selling it decided to remove the keyboard to sell separately or because of some bizarre reason, and found the original membrane keyboard, stored incorrectly so it was damaged, and just swapped the keyboards without to much care in putting it back together. I came up with this theory because it's hard for me to believe that the keyboard received damage like that while installed, and it didn't effect the rest of the computer, at least the plastic casing in the immediate vicinity. Granted, the case looks like crap, especially if you zoom in on the close up of the function key area, but there is no damage to the plastic, it's just grimy in the pits of the texture and other sunken areas.

Edited by Gunstar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Adding the auction photos to the thread for reference, and a couple of things caught my eye:

 

s-l1600-01.thumb.jpg.51c1dc8d0a36beaab8bcd8278088d456.jpg

 

I'm wondering if someone didn't put some sort of adhesive protector over the keyboard, and when it was removed it left behind bits of the adhesive (the white scuffs) as well as damaging the print on the keys themselves.  Note that this doesn't rule out someone taking a cleaning solution to it as well - it's possible that they compounded their mistake by trying to clean up afterwards with something that reacted with the keyboard.

 

s-l1600-08.thumb.jpg.a37d36a004131ae60d295553e3a2ad54.jpg

 

Note the sticker behind and just above the BASIC cartridge.  It appears to have been run off on a modern label printer (Brother P-Touch, etc.), and contains a barcode with some barely-readable text (AV306778?) at the bottom of it.  Be interesting to know where that came from.

 

No solid ideas as to what happened to this poor 400, but whatever it was it's unfortunate.

 

Oh, and the label on the cassette in the 410 appears to have been hand-cut, which was a neat find.

 

s-l1600-00.jpg

s-l1600-02.jpg

s-l1600-03.jpg

s-l1600-04.jpg

s-l1600-05.jpg

s-l1600-06.jpg

s-l1600-07.jpg

s-l1600-09.jpg

s-l1600-10.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whatever that stuff on the keyboard is, its bloody caustic, the Break key amongst others is devastated..

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Adding the auction photos to the thread for reference, and a couple of things caught my eye:

 

s-l1600-01.thumb.jpg.51c1dc8d0a36beaab8bcd8278088d456.jpg

 

I'm wondering if someone didn't put some sort of adhesive protector over the keyboard, and when it was removed it left behind bits of the adhesive (the white scuffs) as well as damaging the print on the keys themselves.  Note that this doesn't rule out someone taking a cleaning solution to it as well - it's possible that they compounded their mistake by trying to clean up afterwards with something that reacted with the keyboard.

 

s-l1600-08.thumb.jpg.a37d36a004131ae60d295553e3a2ad54.jpg

 

Note the sticker behind and just above the BASIC cartridge.  It appears to have been run off on a modern label printer (Brother P-Touch, etc.), and contains a barcode with some barely-readable text (AV306778?) at the bottom of it.  Be interesting to know where that came from.

 

No solid ideas as to what happened to this poor 400, but whatever it was it's unfortunate.

 

Oh, and the label on the cassette in the 410 appears to have been hand-cut, which was a neat find.

 

 

Apparently I some how missed half the pictures when I looked at the auction on ebay. You've posted twice as many as I'd seen. This is the first time I've see the close-up of the cartridge slot or the last four pictures you posted

 

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...