IGNORED

ABBUC Forum back online

skr

The ABBUC site is back online: http://abbuc.de

The forum registration is open: http://abbuc.de/forum

To ensure, members can access member only pages, and can´t, if their membership rests or ends (by not paying the membership fee) I activate each registration manually for starters. So it might a few hours, until you´re really in. I expect to open registration for non-members (can´t see the member sections of the website and the forum, can´t access the shop) after SillyVenture (that will be three days where I´m simple not available for anyone who´s not in Gdansk ;) ).

If you have any trouble registering, please send an email to internet@abbuc.de

Cheers,

Sascha

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

couldn't reach the forum at all,

main page is German language only and google translate isn't playing nice...

I hope for the best as this gets brought online and up to speed. Just isn't there yet.

okay forum link in main page is now working...

maybe these links instead...

https://abbuc.de/forum/ucp.php?mode=register

https://abbuc.de/forum/

Edited by _The Doctor__
acknowledge working link
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, skr said:

The ABBUC site is back online: http://abbuc.de

The forum registration is open: http://abbuc.de/forum

To ensure, members can access member only pages, and can´t, if their membership rests or ends (by not paying the membership fee) I activate each registration manually for starters. So it might a few hours, until you´re really in. I expect to open registration for non-members (can´t see the member sections of the website and the forum, can´t access the shop) after SillyVenture (that will be three days where I´m simple not available for anyone who´s not in Gdansk ;) ).

If you have any trouble registering, please send an email to internet@abbuc.de

Cheers,

Sascha

I don't see any menu option to translate to English.

2 hours ago, Dropcheck said:

I don't see any menu option to translate to English.

In Chrome right click the page and select Translate to English.

In Safari it's at the end of the address bar.

Firefox users will need to install a plugin.

IE/Edge users... I dunno 

2 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

IE/Edge users... I dunno 

Since the old Google Translate button messed up the website anyway, I prefer using the built-in browser translation capability anyway. 

Bob C

@skr -- is your plan to have the mags translated to English still in effect and working?  I'd like to renew my membership, but only if I can read the mag. articles.  (I do understand that it is a PITA to translate.)  I presume that the project to translate the ABBUC Turbo Basic manual never got far?

26 minutes ago, Larry said:

@skr -- is your plan to have the mags translated to English still in effect and working?  I'd like to renew my membership, but only if I can read the mag. articles.  (I do understand that it is a PITA to translate.)  I presume that the project to translate the ABBUC Turbo Basic manual never got far?

I'd like English version of the physical magazine too, but do you know that English PDF versions of them are available on the site? They don't appear as soon as the magazine is released, but eventually. So you can read the articles, but maybe you do know and you just prefer reading from the real thing, I know I do. I dislike reading from PDF's, having to scroll through, and then if I scroll a bit to far while reading, it can jump ahead to the next page when I haven't finished reading the last quarter or so of the previous page, among other annoying little things, I have a Kindle I never use either except when traveling for the same reasons. So I ended my subscription and went back to buying paperbacks.

Besides, if I really love a book, I end up buying the best quality hard cover print I can of it for my library, which hopefully are leather or at least simulated leather bound with gold or silver trim imprint on the covers. I don't care for paper covers on hardback books, if that's the best quality I can get in print, I remove the paper cover art work and store them in a safe place.

Edited by Gunstar

Yes, the paper supplements will still be translated into english language, thats the plan.

Regarding the new webpage, it works with my Android smartphone, but does not work anymore with, ahem,  Win XP. The same is true for nextcloud, which does not work under Win XP anymore. Want to see a nice german error message when trying to reach the Abbuc webpage or nextcloud under Win XP? Here it is:

Fehler: Gesicherte Verbindung fehlgeschlagen

Ein Fehler ist während einer Verbindung mit abbuc.de aufgetreten. Die Gegenstelle meldet eine inkompatible oder nicht unterstützte Protokollversion. Fehlercode: SSL_ERROR_PROTOCOL_VERSION_ALERT

Die Website kann nicht angezeigt werden, da die Authentizität der erhaltenen Daten nicht verifiziert werden konnte.
    Kontaktieren Sie bitte den Inhaber der Website, um ihn über dieses Problem zu informieren.

Does the Abbuc webpage require Win 10 or will it also work under Win 7 ?

6 minutes ago, CharlieChaplin said:

Yes, the paper supplements will still be translated into english language, thats the plan.

Regarding the new webpage, it works with my Android smartphone, but does not work anymore with, ahem,  Win XP. The same is true for nextcloud, which does not work under Win XP anymore. Want to see a nice german error message when trying to reach the Abbuc webpage or nextcloud under Win XP? Here it is:

Ein Fehler ist während einer Verbindung mit abbuc.de aufgetreten. Die Gegenstelle meldet eine inkompatible oder nicht unterstützte Protokollversion. Fehlercode: SSL_ERROR_PROTOCOL_VERSION_ALERT

Die Website kann nicht angezeigt werden, da die Authentizität der erhaltenen Daten nicht verifiziert werden konnte.
    Kontaktieren Sie bitte den Inhaber der Website, um ihn über dieses Problem zu informieren.

and you won't be browsing this with most 8 bit computers anymore, unless you have a middle box doing some work for you. Oh well, it happened with some/this forum (AA) a while back... what to say...

11 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

IE/Edge users... I dunno 

Firefox plug-in available for g@@gle or yandex

Edge -> howto: https://www.howtogeek.com/672953/how-to-automatically-translate-a-web-page-in-microsoft-edge/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CharlieChaplin said:

There´s no black magic going on, should work with Win 7 without hassle. At least I can confirm it runs the new Atari VCS 800. ;)

3 hours ago, CharlieChaplin said:

2 hours ago, skr said:

There´s no black magic going on, should work with Win 7 without hassle. At least I can confirm it runs the new Atari VCS 800. ;)

There is _some_ black magic going on ;)

abbuc.de is now using the latest ssl cypher suites which are using elliptic curve cryptography. As a result our SSL report gives us this. 

1206759095_ScreenShot2021-08-17at14_47_30.thumb.png.be186d7242a3891dd0d909b69e6096bd.png

The down side of that is that older browsers don't work. When I say older browsers, they don't actually have to be that old to fall into the older browsers category. Here's a list of 'recent' browsers and thier attempt at connection. 

50660314_ScreenShot2021-08-17at14_53_10.thumb.png.dfed3295f9c7dc5968267f8f5cd26488.png

So it looks like Windows 7 is also too old to connect. @cas has done a great job of implementing all the latest and greatest security/privacy measures (the aforementioned black magic) with only a few compromises required to allow it to run. 

for the full report you can look here.. 

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=abbuc.de

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

There is _some_ black magic going on ;)

Oh, I should have learned by now, that you´re a magician.

So it looks like Windows 7 is also too old to connect.

Is this a question of the OS, or is it just, that Win7 can´t run the browsers that are able to do it?

Anyway: I can understand, if some users might complain about this, but we can´t have it all. The old server died due to heavy security issues. So security is the most important thing for me. I will not give up security for comfort.

Would you mind to put that information into the ABBUC-Forum, too? This is a quite important and interesting question, I think.

Everybody who registers to the forum will automatically be in "registered users" and have limited rights. As membership meanwhile is checked by Steve´s code, I additionaly put every member into the "member" group, which grants different rights.

So members are in both group, like you are, too. :)

And that flight only is a bit more than one hour, so no big deal.

1 hour ago, skr said:

Is this a question of the OS, or is it just, that Win7 can´t run the browsers that are able to do it?

Most browsers use the OS crypto libraries so Chrome/Edge/IE will all fail. Firefox uses its own crypto and may well work, I know FF on XP used to work with EDCH before they stopped doing XP compatible versions, if you are a Win7 user, give that a try. 

49 minutes ago, Philsan said:

@skr, if you're not on the plane to SillyVenture ?

what is the difference between Registered users an Members?

I think I am in Registered users group, it it ok?

Thanks!

Anyone can register on the forums, Abbuc members also go into a members group so they get access to the members only forum area (members usernames are also a different colour in the forums). @skr adds Abbuc membership info to each of those users and that is used by the rest of the website to check if you can see the member only pages of the site. If you are a member and log out of the forums you will lose access to the member only areas of the site and forums. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, CharlieChaplin said:

The ABBUC Webpage requires a browser that supports TLS v1.3 encryption. TLS encryption is implemented inside the application (some browser use functions of the operating system and therefore depend on the operating system).

Windows XP and Window 7 are "end of life" and have not been update for modern (secure) encryption. The older TLS protocol versions (1.0,1.1,1.2)  all have serious security issues.

Use Windows XP and Windows 7 in local, closed networks for retro computing pleasure.

If you can't upgrade to a modern Windows version, use Linux, BSD or other operating systems that implement TLS v1.3.

I plan to create a version of the ABBUC webpage for "retro" machines. It is mainly for older machines (Atari 8bit, Atari ST, Amiga etc). But I guess Windows XP and Windows 7 are also "retro" by now.

I can't promise when the "retro" version of the page will be available. It will be "read only" (no posting), it will have minimal theming, no JavaScript, and it cannot contain for technical reasons the "Members only" content.

I recommend to not use any outdated operating system and web browser combination on the Internet, it is a thread to your network and to the Internet as a whole.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1