IGNORED

ABBUC Forum back online

skr

On 8/18/2021 at 4:38 PM, skr said:

Everybody who registers to the forum will automatically be in "registered users" and have limited rights. As membership meanwhile is checked by Steve´s code, I additionaly put every member into the "member" group, which grants different rights.

I guess that special arrangements made by Wolfgang are not in Steve's code or the new board made a different decision ?

After donating 2 truckloads of brand new Atari stuff to Abbuc  (and more in the years that followed), John and I (ANG Software) were made "Ehremitglied" by Wolfgang. I am afraid that Steve's code / the new board is not honoring this anymore. 

Edited by Fred_M
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Fred_M said:

I guess that special arrangements made by Wolfgang are not in Steve's code or the new board made a different decision ?

After donating 2 truckloads of brand new Atari stuff to Abbuc  (and more in the years that followed), John and I (ANG Software) were made "Ehremitglied" by Wolfgang. I am afraid that Steve's code / the new board is not honoring this anymore. 

I guess the new board might not know about these arrangements.

Edit: I've opened a ticket for the ABBUC webserver team

Edited by cas
add information
  • Thanks 1

for those who need clarification... that means honorary member... others were lifetime members or members in perpetuity... it is what it is, that sort of stuff slowly got lost and the new system will have to be adjusted it would seem. I would suspect the new board will of course honor what has come before. It will just take some work and sorting out.

Edited by _The Doctor__

19 minutes ago, cas said:

I guess the new board might not know about these arrangements.

That can be the case ofcourse, but I was expecting that such kind of arrangements would be visible in the member administration ? . I have quite a low member number (14), I always thought that such a low member number meant something. But that is an assumption made by me. I have received all Abbuc Magazines up to nr. 144, I did not receive nr. 145.

Edit: Thank you Cas!

Edited by Fred_M

1 hour ago, Fred_M said:

There is no code to give special rights to anyone, if the board wants you to be a member forever they just have to adjust your expiry date to 2099 or something. My guess is that Wolfgang managed the memberlist manually, and Sascha has done so manually since he took over as well, but none of that knowledge was passed along to him. This is what private messages are for, a public forum is not really the place to discuss that sort of thing (unless the PM route has already been taken and you are unsatisfied with the outcome).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

There is no code to give special rights to anyone, if the board wants you to be a member forever they just have to adjust your expiry date to 2099 or something. My guess is that Wolfgang managed the memberlist manually, and Sascha has done so manually since he took over as well, but none of that knowledge was passed along to him. This is what private messages are for, a public forum is not really the place to discuss that sort of thing (unless the PM route has already been taken and you are unsatisfied with the outcome).

Wow Steve, take a breath ;-)  I am not complaining at all and I did send an email to Sascha in April this year and never received a reply.

Edited by Fred_M
changed message into email

5 hours ago, Fred_M said:

My apologies, Fred. This is not in disrespect to you. I simply didn´t know and will cross check with Wolfgang. When taking over the member database, I didn´t get any information about honorable memberships that were made. As everything is getting digital know, the spoken word not always finds its way into strict technology. Actually this is an easy thing to correct and I apologise for any trouble that may have caused.

The good thing is, that we figure those things out now. And maybe at some point we also have email addresses for all members in the database. Yours actually is missing, too.

About the membership number: Is doesn´t  mean anything. It´s just a number. At some point, @8Bitjunkie set the number to 1000 and for every new member we just increase by one. If a member leaves ABBUC for whatever reason, I do not give that number away to new members. So if a member returns, he can have his old number back. But that also means, that the highest number is NOT the total number of members.

Steve did a great job with the checking routine, as this seems to be a much better way for members to get reminded about their membership. The printed date on the envelope was critized often in the past.

Please send me an email, so that I can add your email to the database (which is not connected to the forum in any way for several reasons and therefore can contain a different email address) and send you a confirmation about your honorable status.

Edited by skr
Edit: I forgot an important NOT
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, skr said:

My apologies, Fred. This is not in disrespect to you. I simply didn´t know and will cross check with Wolfgang. When taking over the member database, I didn´t get any information about honorable memberships that were made. As everything is getting digital know, the spoken word not always finds its way into strict technology. Actually this is an easy thing to correct and I apologise for any trouble that may have caused.

The good thing is, that we figure those things out now. And maybe at some point we also have email addresses for all members in the database. Yours actually is missing, too.

About the membership number: Is doesn´t  mean anything. It´s just a number. At some point, @8Bitjunkie set the number to 1000 and for every new member we just increase by one. If a member leaves ABBUC for whatever reason, I do not give that number away to new members. So if a member returns, he can have his old number back. But that also means, that the highest number is the total number of members.

Steve did a great job with the checking routine, as this seems to be a much better way for members to get reminded about their membership. The printed date on the envelope was critized often in the past.

Please send me an email, so that I can add your email to the database (which is not connected to the forum in any way for several reasons and therefore can contain a different email address) and send you a confirmation about your honorable status.

Hi Sascha,

Thank you for your kind words. I agree that a checking routine is much better than the date on the envelope. I think I made some comments about that a long time ago so I am happy that is finally changed.

I will send you a PM if you don't mind, as I sent you an email (@abbuc.de) on April 24th. So maybe that one was not delivered ;-)

And as you bought some stuff from me when I ran Rewind Games, you should have my email address ;-) (no critisism)

• 3 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, adam242 said:

I don't see where to log in on the new website.. and I think I may have accidentally let my membership lapse. How do I correct this?

You need to go to the forum link (or Foren on the original German text). You will have to use the register link since the account credentials did not come over from the old site. 

Someone on the ABBUC web team will have to validate whether you are a current member to get access to the member-only parts of the website. If your membership has lapsed, they should either tell you when they approve your access or I think it will appear in the membership (Mitglieder) section of the website. That is where I see my ABBUC membership number and expiration date. 

I am hoping as the web team gets more time that members will receive a courtesy email when our membership is ready to expire. Right now, I simply put a reminder in my phone telling me when I need to renew my ABBUC membership. 

Bob C

Edited by darwinmac
Capitalization error
  • Like 2