IGNORED

AtGames 2021 Speculation Thread

We will have our National Owner's Day 2021 Autumn in early September (public details soon), which will have all kinds of events and bundle sales. TAITO Pinball Tables Volume 2 are coming soon, as will be more information on the 4 Player control panel for Legends Ultimate 1.1.

• Thanks 1

Bill, has there ever been any talk of a Legends Ultimate Bartop cabinet, or a mini pinball table?
I for one think a mini pinball would be very cool.

I feel like people who don't have all the room or money for full size versions may pick up a smaller version. It would get even more people on ArcadeNet. It would also give people the opportunity to take them to a friends house. Just some ideas, bud.

Now, to be negative nancy, 4 player CPO? WTF? 2 players barely fit as it is. So.... some big ass panel on that small, home cabinet? Oh GOD! whose idea was that? Someone who has looked at too many MAME Clusterfucked CPOs and never actually played 2Player Simul Arcade games?

Like, Bill, you're shoulders are as wide as the cabinet. Where will everyone else stand? :) 
Maybe instead, focus on a nice racing wheel and procuring some more light guns.

4 players is nice for games with just a couple buttons. I would say have the center 2 players have 6 action buttons and the outside players have only 4. Multiplayer Arcade games a lot of times were a lot larger than a LUA.

Edited by Draxxon

Yes, there's been talk of all kinds of additional home arcade form factor variations. It's just a matter of when, really. 

And there is a way to do the 4 player control panel where most people are comfortable. Of course, it will never be perfect, especially for very large gamers, but then what is?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill Loguidice said:

it will never be perfect, especially for very large gamers, but then what is?

Lots of stuff is close to perfect. Its the 6 button SFII layout that's the monkey wrench.

cpo_dd5821b9-7ea0-4475-a26f-1254a790af44_740x.png

images.jpg

Edited by Draxxon

Completely agree that 4-player control panel for ALU 1.1 will not sell well.  No clamoring for it in YouTube chats.  My guess is that AtGames is playing follow-the-leader in chasing after A1Up’s TMNT & NBA Jam cabs.  Best current solution for 4-player gaming w/ ALU is to add a Gamer Pro & separate TV/monitor as has been demonstrated by BuyStuffStore.

Conversely, my dream of a combo racing & lightgun control panel would be a game changer w/ universal interest among current owners and the potential to spur many new ALU cab sales.

As for now, I’d settle for:

(1) fulfillment of my BitBlaster lightgun reservation from more than a year ago(!),

(2) the opportunity to obtain the BitRacer steering wheel that was announced 6/10/20(!),

(3) a reasonably-priced Sam’s Club ALP (i.e., not $100 over MSRP!), and

(4) getting the AFB & LFB official firmware snafu straightened out.

Alas, my expectations are that none of the foregoing will come to pass since there’s just too much profit margin in ArcadeNet subscriptions and software (add’l pinball titles).

41 minutes ago, No Quarter said:

I wouldn't worry about those. I would just use the CFW and community updates. But, I understand some people collect and want stuff stock.

Edited by Draxxon

10 hours ago, No Quarter said:

Completely agree that 4-player control panel for ALU 1.1 will not sell well.  No clamoring for it in YouTube chats.  My guess is that AtGames is playing follow-the-leader in chasing after A1Up’s TMNT & NBA Jam cabs.  Best current solution for 4-player gaming w/ ALU is to add a Gamer Pro & separate TV/monitor as has been demonstrated by BuyStuffStore.

Conversely, my dream of a combo racing & lightgun control panel would be a game changer w/ universal interest among current owners and the potential to spur many new ALU cab sales.

As for now, I’d settle for:

(1) fulfillment of my BitBlaster lightgun reservation from more than a year ago(!),

(2) the opportunity to obtain the BitRacer steering wheel that was announced 6/10/20(!),

(3) a reasonably-priced Sam’s Club ALP (i.e., not $100 over MSRP!), and

Alas, my expectations are that none of the foregoing will come to pass since there’s just too much profit margin in ArcadeNet subscriptions and software (add’l pinball titles).

There are actually quite a few requests for a 4 player deck and always has been. It's a natural evolution of the product line and has nothing to do with following anyone else.

BitBlaster is still pending parts availability, so there's no ETA on those unfortunately. BitRacer or a racing cabinet/panel we'll just have to see how things develop. We have more new products and accessories coming, so we'll continue to do what's possible when it's possible (and affordable for the end user).

The Legends Pinball is still the best value out there in home pinball machines regardless of where you buy it from, but I understand that some people always want everything cheaper. I know I do. Regardless, the Sam's Club Legends Pinball is not more than the current MSRP for Legends Pinball, which is also only available in a Plus version on the AtGames E-Store anyway.

For those interested, there seems to a price war between WalMart.com & GameStop.com for the Legends Gamer Mini (single-player fight-stick w/ core).  WM has it for $61.25, and GS has it for $71.20 but they’ll probably match WM tomorrow based on the recent trend.

However, be forewarned that the likely reason for this clearance fire sale is the pending announcement of a Core Max w/ a more powerful chip set akin to that used in the Legends Pinball machine.  Reservations for it begin this weekend w/ delivery goal of Feb, ‘22.

See wagnerstechtalk.com for more info.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Core Max is allegedly going to ship in February, 2022, but take that with a giant grain of salt:

(1) First-party lightgun & steering wheel accessories for the Legends family were announced on 6/10/20, and reservations for BitBlaster lightgun began around 7/31/20.  Neither product is on the horizon after more than a year of waiting patiently.

(2) Their 3/4-scale ALU Mini arcade cabinet as well as the GamePad controller were announced with reservations beginning at the last 2/14/21 National Owners’ Day with a May, 2021 estimated arrival for each.  However, the controller didn’t arrive until August, and November is the latest promise for the ALUM.

I wish there was a little more info when it comes to the max. Its over double the price of the core so it would be nice to know how they compare and what you are getting. I have a Legends Gamerpad on the way now.

I'm not a big fan of preordering items like these. if they eventually come out and I can buy one, cool. I feel bad for anyone that has been waiting this whole time for items.

I have found a couple pads that work on the Core now and I really couldnt see spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars on cabinets, led marqees, 4 player panels, etc. I mean it looks like a money pit.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I'm getting into this Legends Family Ecosystem and I'm seeing that only the Legends Ultimate Arcade cabinet has Arcade Play Link connectivity. I think that sucks. I understand that maybe my Legends Core shouldn't have it, but, why doesn't the Legends Connect single board computer have it? I mean nothing else has APL. It's a bummer.

While I'm sure not intended by AtGames, the AFBX and LFB 100 games version now have giant community builds with artwork, and it also turns out the LUA cabinet is a $600 dollar solution to playing games with other controllers with more buttons on the AFBX thru the HDMI port. Which may not sound like a huge deal, but the AFBX is limited in emulating other systems because of the 1-button Atari joystick. Plus, the AFBX community build has a lot of content that the LUA CoinOpsX and saUCE packs do not, most notably Atari 800 games. It's a win-win, and, I hear it "works like a charm!" from a LUA owner.

I totally understand that the Bed Bath & Beyond Plug & Play systems are the past and the Legendary Legends Family of products is the future, but, I feel like if future products, and hopefully some less expensive options, in the Legends Family could remember APL connectivity, that would be awesome. The old legacy AFBX and LFB2 community builds are only going to continue to get more awesome.

Bottom line, AtGames is a company with a shitty past that turned it around. Please don't now be the company that ditches the AFBX and LFB2 connectivity and the system's owners. Try to keep APL and the old flashbacks alive, as they are a part of the good AtGames history. Lets see it in the Legends Connect SBC. It could be a $100 option for old flashback owners to use other controllers instead of only the $600 LUA cabinet.

P.S. I have been using my Legends Gamepad a lot with my Legends Core and BYOG/CoinOpsX and I have no issues at all. It's totally fine. My only question is, what hell is the rumble feature for? When you use it as a PC controller? I don't get it. Anyways, I really like how it goes to sleep if not used for 5 mins. The PS5 pad is always on. So, turns out the PS5 pad is always dead and the LGP is always ready to rock and roll. I'll be ordering a 2nd Legends Gamepad soon. #1stPartySwag

Edited by Draxxon

I did look, I knew it was on the cabinet, I didn't see it listed on pinball, which surprised me, so that is good to hear.

I'm also glad to hear its being considered for future products. That rocks. I hope some are priced for legacy flashback owners to tinker with. I would love to see it on the Legends Core Max personally, along with a 2nd HDMI and USB port. Even on a Legends Connect would be sweet.

Thanks for the quick and concise response.

Now comes the real question. How does APL work exactly? HDMI-CEC? Not that it makes AtGames any money but, what else allows you to connect to an old flashback with HDMI-CEC aka APL? only the AtGames arcade/pinball machines? Modern TVs have HDMI-CEC mode and you can hook R.Pis up to the TV.

Edited by Draxxon

Limited info on AtGames site mentions CoreMax will be APL compatible.  My guess is that this means that it will be able to be connected to an ALU or ALUM as a means of “upgrading” the arcade cabinet hardware.  I could be wrong, but doubt that it means that FB’s will be able to be APL-connected to the CoreMax.

The community is pushing for dual-HDMI ports on the CoreMax in order to be able to output separate signals for pinball play surface & backglass/dmd, so I think that’ll be highly likely to occur.

Just noticed that samsclub.com now has the B/N Arcade Blast hdmi dongle ($25), so it’s possible we’ll soon see re-released FB’s at Sam’s, Menard’s, or elsewhere.  I’ll keep my eyes peeled.

I think they are leaving money on the table if they don't have flashbacks and portables around during the holidays.

I realize not many are like me and tinker with the flashbacks for years on end, but APL connectivity with them gives you hundreds of more games via the community build on your arcade cabinet. And it already works. They just need to keep implementing it in other products

"Open and Connected" really seems to mean open to adding bootleg games and connected to the internet so you can subscribe to ArcadeNet $$$. It doesn't mean open and connected to their other products, which is a bummer. If the max is getting two USB ports, then give it APL with the flashbacks.

AtGames, OPEN up the Legends Core Max and Legends Connect 2 so we can CONNECT it to the flashbacks.

Edited by Draxxon

56 minutes ago, No Quarter said:

Limited info on AtGames site mentions CoreMax will be APL compatible.  My guess is that this means that it will be able to be connected to an ALU or ALUM as a means of “upgrading” the arcade cabinet hardware.  I could be wrong, but doubt that it means that FB’s will be able to be APL-connected to the CoreMax.

The community is pushing for dual-HDMI ports on the CoreMax in order to be able to output separate signals for pinball play surface & backglass/dmd, so I think that’ll be highly likely to occur.

Just noticed that samsclub.com now has the B/N Arcade Blast hdmi dongle ($25), so it’s possible we’ll soon see re-released FB’s at Sam’s, Menard’s, or elsewhere.  I’ll keep my eyes peeled.

Yes, the CoreMax is APL compatible and can be used to upgrade the Legends Ultimate series to the same performance levels as the Legends Pinball.

A slightly updated Arcade Blast! is coming, yes. It will be able to support Portrait-mode displays should the user choose. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2021 at 12:04 PM, Bill Loguidice said:

Yes, the CoreMax is APL compatible and can be used to upgrade the Legends Ultimate series to the same performance levels as the Legends Pinball.

Hi Bill, just to clarify - when you say APL compatible - you mean it's going to be an Arcade Play Link "client" (to the Legends Ultimate's "server") correct - I mean it can be controlled from the legends ultimate deck when plugged into the LU HDMI?

BTW, the APL is very cool!  Two questions:

1) Would you/atGames ever open up the "client side" specs so other devices could operate as clients?  I'm mainly thinking of some of the handheld gaming devices (well, the ones with HDMI out) where there is a strong custom/community firmware development going.

2) I think (?) it does not support the trackball/spinners.  Is that something that would be considered for the future, or is it maybe technically not feasible for some reason?

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/30/2021 at 8:52 AM, No Quarter said:

Also, what’s the status of the FB official firmware update that AtGames Support promised me was coming “this year” (i.e., 2021)?

Should we maybe just call them?

Capture.PNG

Edited by Draxxon