IGNORED

Modded 3DO

Hwlngmad

Get a Panasonic 3DO FZ-1 from Japan and there is an A-B switch for 240P and 480i out of the box.  As well, the MNEMO ODE does not require soldering for install in the FZ-1.  I have this setup already, and I left my NiB FZ-10 alone.  Also RGB vs S-video output difference on 3DO is negligible.

• Like 1

I'm not a big fan of modding systems that are less common and expensive. I rather keep them original.

Even for common-as-hell stuff like the PS1, I repair the optical drive rather than adding some modern solution to replace it. Did that with three of the four PS1s I own. For me, having things like pixel-perfect HDMI output and being able to play images from SD/CF or USB feels like emulation to me. That's not the experience I want from real hardware. But I understand many people see this different.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, derSammler said:

I'm not a big fan of modding systems that are less common and expensive. I rather keep them original.

Even for common-as-hell stuff like the PS1, I repair the optical drive rather than adding some modern solution to replace it. Did that with three of the four PS1s I own. For me, having things like pixel-perfect HDMI output and being able to play images from SD/CF or USB feels like emulation to me. That's not the experience I want from real hardware. But I understand many people see this different.

To each their own.  Definitely keeping systems original is also a perfectly legitimate choice for sure.  However, should one want to mod their 3DO, this provides a good base about one can do.

• 1 year later...

3DO is a great console to mod because it significantly enhances the experience and the lifetime VS the stock unit.

An ODE will last a lifetime with no worries about a CD not being read or the drive failing... You can load every game onto a single drive and the system's load time is noticeably improved VS reading from CD.

On the visual side, there are many cases where 240p (particularly 240p RGB) offer a dramatically improved image VS the default 480i Composite or S-Video. Especially if you are playing on a modern display. (480i was output by default despite the console rendering a 240p image in order to claim DVD quality resolution as I understand it.)