Rev

Amico NFT & RFID games

Any speculation on how the boxed physical products/games/codes will work on the Amico?

Specifically the NFT and RFID aspect. Will they be added to blockchain?

Will we own the digital games in a new way never seen before? Looks that way. 

Another Intellivision industry first!

• Like 2

I think there are two key issues with digital distribution of games:

- How to make them resellable?

- How to make them independent on servers? (Even for the first activation/download)

The first thing is possible without any NFT (or RFID). Frankly, Amico could simply allow for reselling of digitally bought copies of games and not only for those copies coming with physical box. Whatever. Still nice.

The second issue is more intriguing but I am also more reserved in my hopes that Intellivision would bring a solution to this. How could using NFT make game independent on servers? However, who knows. Maybe I will be surprised.

Otherwise, I don't see many benefits of NFT except making each digital copy of a game "unique" (ehm). However, the same can be achieved with a serial code. So I am curious.

• Like 1

That's the point, to have a non-centralised system in place.  And yes the same thing could apply to digitally distributed or physical Amico games.

18 minutes ago, mr_me said:

non-centralised system

Exactly. However, Tallarico seems to me to be quite cautious about promising activation of games without the need for access of Intellivision servers. However, NFT seems to have a meaning only if it means activation without INT servers. Who knows, maybe he has a big surprise for us. From where would then the game be downloaded? Blockchain does contain just a small piece of data.

33 minutes ago, mr_me said:

could apply to digitally distributed or physical Amico games.

Do we have any confirmation that digital-only games will be resellable in a similar way as RFID games?

If the physical games need to be read to the console from anywhere outside the purchased game box, it's not a "physical game" anymore.  And, if that's the case, it would greatly diminish my interest.  Once whatever server those games are on goes down, the entire console loses value even from a collector standpoint.  The gameboxes would contain cards that could no longer access the games they were meant to activate, and the consoles themselves wouldn't be able to play any games that weren't already downloaded to them.  I really hope that's not the case.  There's enough Ouya doorstops floating around on eBay.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Downland1983 said:

If the physical games need to be read to the console from anywhere outside the purchased game box, it's not a "physical game" anymore.  And, if that's the case, it would greatly diminish my interest.  Once whatever server those games are on goes down, the entire console loses value even from a collector standpoint.  The gameboxes would contain cards that could no longer access the games they were meant to activate, and the consoles themselves wouldn't be able to play any games that weren't already downloaded to them.  I really hope that's not the case.  There's enough Ouya doorstops floating around on eBay.  

Nick Richards covered this topic in an interview here (1:49:37). It looks like the initial activation of a new game requires an internet connection to download and they plan to allow you to back them up to an SD card. I would guess that the copy of the game on your SD card would only work with that particular console that it was activated on and could not be sold or used elsewhere when the Amico servers are unavailable. Tommy, please clarify if any of this is incorrect since the recording of the interview. 

You think Tommy is going to clarify this? He’ll tell you that now is not the time to release that info because they are waiting to release that info to more people at the right time.

Today I am thinking how dumb it is that almost a year after the original launch date, there is still so much confusion about how the retail games work. A company expecting consumers to deposit $100 on a console where we still do not know how the retail games will work is just insane.

The whole "don't worry about it, you will love it when you find out" thing is getting old at this point.

The whole secret society of people who get information before others is also a big slap in the face.

Giving out secret information to only certain special people is insulting to many of your current customers and potential customers. 

Why someone thought it was a good thing to only show & tell specific things to your special group is part of what fueled so much of the hateful drama.  

This is still going on as recent as the free gift thing which was disclosed to only special people before anyone else found out.

If you are going to continue to show and tell certain things to your special friends then at least tell them not to broadcast that they know a big secret but can't say what it is. This is really absurd behavior and really does not help the reputation of Intellivision one bit.

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, Bonkey Kong said:

Today I am thinking how dumb it is that almost a year after the original launch date, there is still so much confusion about how the retail games work. A company expecting consumers to deposit $100 on a console where we still do not know how the retail games will work is just insane.

The whole "don't worry about it, you will love it when you find out" thing is getting old at this point.

The whole secret society of people who get information before others is also a big slap in the face.

Giving out secret information to only certain special people is insulting to many of your current customers and potential customers. 

Why someone thought it was a good thing to only show & tell specific things to your special group is part of what fueled so much of the hateful drama.  

This is still going on as recent as the free gift thing which was disclosed to only special people before anyone else found out.

If you are going to continue to show and tell certain things to your special friends then at least tell them not to broadcast that they know a big secret but can't say what it is. This is really absurd behavior and really does not help the reputation of Intellivision one bit.

image.thumb.png.f5d9fe454702dbe45f6665d7dee2e606.png

1 hour ago, Downland1983 said:

Much as I hate this practice, that horse has bolted a long, long time ago in the industry, around the time Steamworks was slapped on physical PC games. And recently all you will get is a scrap of paper in the box, as I've found out when trying to buy physical Cyberpunk 2077. I think it's also similar on Switch in some way? (don't have one so not sure here).

So, it's not exactly a new idea.

1 minute ago, youxia said:

Much as I hate this practice, that horse has bolted a long, long time ago in the industry, around the time Steamworks was slapped on physical PC games. And recently all you will get is a scrap of paper in the box, as I've found out when trying to buy physical Cyberpunk 2077. I think it's also similar on Switch in some way? (don't have one so not sure here).

So, it's not exactly a new idea.

It depends on the Switch game and publisher of said game.  I have a ton of Switch games that are the complete game on the cartridge.  Some of the 3rd party publishers with large file sizes don't pay extra for the larger capacity Switch cart and opt to put part of the game on the cart and the rest to be installed to system/sd card memory.

1 hour ago, Jacob Livingston said:

It looks like the initial activation of a new game requires an internet connection to download and they plan to allow you to back them up to an SD card.

Exactly. Internet is required. The question is: does it have to be Intellivision server or is there some new unique way, how to download and activate the game even if Amico servers are down. I am rather sceptical but maybe there will be a pleasant surprise by Tallarico.

54 minutes ago, Bonkey Kong said:

Even better are contradictions spread by Tallarico himself :/. Like did he confirm NFT or not? Or who actually works at Intellivision etc.

Just now, Lusorius said:

Even better are contradictions spread by Tallarico himself :/. Like did he confirm NFT or not? Or who actually works at Intellivision etc.

image.thumb.png.bf2b17a37c7d1d27fd7a7818d1a48699.png

Yes NFT confirmed.

2 minutes ago, Bonkey Kong said:

Yes NFT confirmed.

Well, I have asked him recently on the main forum when it was still for questions and not only for fun. First he denied it, then somebody pointed out this old confirmation and he conceded that he did indeed confirm it (in the past tense). When I asked him, whether it is still valid now, he just thanked me for my interest... :D

Edited by Lusorius
typo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bonkey Kong said:

Indeed.

Don't pay much attention to that sort of thing. It's bathroom poop-time reading. Like now. Currently ejecting White Castle at the moment.

This sort of secret stuff might as well not exist. I mean, like, if it ain't here in front of me, where is it?

I must not be important. Probably a good idea to move onto other things. Stuff that's real. Here. Now. Gave up on exclusives years ago - because thinking about it upsets me. So best I don't!

I also don't do pre-orders. Not interested in being a flunky for participating in or generating noise and hubbub for your marketing schemes.

More of the same.

If I'm not special and important, then that means I'm a flunky or something. So best I avoid that.

The little I know - sounds like a calculated display. A way to create "artificial eliteness". But all of it sounds pretty small. If they didn't tell anyone. No one would know. No one would get upset. There would be no secret. No one would start chasing after "the product". So word has to be carefully leaked in a controlled manner. Just enough to generate some buzz.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Keatah said:

If I'm not special and important, then that means I'm a flunky or something. So best I avoid that.

The little I know - sounds like a calculated display. A way to create "artificial eliteness". But all of it sounds pretty small. If they didn't tell anyone. No one would know. No one would get upset. There would be no secret. No one would start chasing after "the product". So word has to be carefully leaked in a controlled manner. Just enough to generate some buzz.

Interesting take on this. I like your logical approach however I do not think this is the real reason why they have been releasing secrets to certain people. I will refrain from saying what I think the real reason is because some folks on here can't deal with it so they just immediately curl up in their defensive shells.

• Like 1

All this NFT, RFID, BlockChain, codes, and "digital" stuff is unnecessarily complex and seems poised to take the fun out of trading, borrowing, and sharing games like we did in the cartridge days. It's eliminating an aspect that helped popularize home videogame consoles.

And all of it seems like a series of hoops to jump through. One can envision spending more time fucking with that stuff than playing and enjoying a carefree game night.

But that's not all. It eliminates the collecting aspect. The fun of building and curating a home gaming library.

3 minutes ago, Bonkey Kong said:

Interesting take on this. I like your logical approach however I do not think this is the real reason why they have been releasing secrets to certain people.

Please do tell.

3 minutes ago, Bonkey Kong said:

I will refrain from saying what I think the real reason is because some folks on here can't deal with it so they just immediately curl up in their defensive shells.

Don't worry about coddling others. They can't handle it? Their problem.

They become defensive? Have some fun poking holes through the shells!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Keatah said:

All this NFT, RFID, BlockChain, codes, and "digital" stuff is unnecessarily complex and seems poised to take the fun out of trading, borrowing, and sharing games like we did in the cartridge days. It's eliminating an aspect that helped popularize home videogame consoles.

Agreed

And all of it seems like a series of hoops to jump through. One can envision spending more time fucking with that stuff than playing and enjoying a carefree game night.

for sure

Please do tell.

Don't worry about coddling others. They can't handle it? Their problem.

They become defensive? Have some fun poking holes through the shells!

Well they formed their own little group of insiders in a seemingly intentional way for sure. 

It has happened over and over and over where IE has disclosed information to only members of this group.

So either you are correct in that it is a calculated thing to conjure hype which backfires on them repeatedly or it is only done to make their special friends feel more special and keep them from jumping ship. 

• Like 1

Originally I thought that may've just been a misstatement (confusing NFT with NFC).

But based on the hush surrounding the physical product and activation processes maybe it is all tied to that.

Will be interesting to see how it all unfolds, hopefully it doesn't add any complexities in playing, transferring or reselling.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, MattPilz said:

Will be interesting to see how it all unfolds, hopefully it doesn't add any complexities in playing, transferring or reselling.

Just by existing, that stuff adds complexity. It will somehow get in the way.

The one advantage I can see is that a transfer/sale of a game can take place over the phone or through email or on ebay rather quickly. If they allow it.

3 minutes ago, Keatah said:

Just by existing, that stuff adds complexity. It will somehow get in the way.

For a console that is supposed to be simple fun, why in the world are they complicating it so much?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Keatah said:

The one advantage I can see is that a transfer/sale of a game can take place over the phone or through email or on ebay rather quickly. If they allow it.

Definitely possibility of selling, but according to Tallarico, NFT should be used also for physical products. That is a little bit confusing because I assume that you sell these RFID tokens physically, not online. And there should never be a situation when somebody owns a RFID token but not the game to which it is the key. So this is really interesting :).