Rev

Amico NFT & RFID games

1 hour ago, Keatah said:

They can't handle it? Their problem.

They become defensive?

Actually, it seems to me that there is quite a lot of deleting of threads going around :(. To be honest, I am even not sure what is not allowed to say here. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Keatah said:

All this NFT, RFID, BlockChain, codes, and "digital" stuff is unnecessarily complex and seems poised to take the fun out of trading, borrowing, and sharing games like we did in the cartridge days. It's eliminating an aspect that helped popularize home videogame consoles.

And all of it seems like a series of hoops to jump through. One can envision spending more time fucking with that stuff than playing and enjoying a carefree game night.

But that's not all. It eliminates the collecting aspect. The fun of building and curating a home gaming library.

Which is ironic, because I could swear the early PR around this system is that modern games are too complicated, and what not.  Seems like if the system has to be connected to the internet, the door is wide open for microtransactions, patches, and all that other stuff. Senior citizens and small children aren't going to want to fool with all this.

• Like 2

Somewhat on topic, is another hobby of mine.   Garbage pail kids cards. 

Which recently started selling those NFT virtual cards and packs. 

Buying virtual trading cards?!?   Its in your “wax wallet”, Some virtual wallet or blockchain type thing. 

https://www.cardlines.com/garbage-pail-kids-food-fight-nft/

And apparently, you can sell your virtual cards or packs on ebay for lots of money. 

Is this the future!? Sheesh

AC1D246B-D683-4695-B5ED-D4DFC1145C5F.thumb.jpeg.07daf89639e70c882d8ba39e84dd8dfb.jpeg

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Rev said:

Somewhat on topic, is another hobby of mine.   Garbage pail kids cards. 

Which recently started selling those NFT virtual cards and packs. 

Buying virtual trading cards?!?   Its in your “wax wallet”, Some virtual wallet or blockchain type thing. 

https://www.cardlines.com/garbage-pail-kids-food-fight-nft/

And apparently, you can sell your virtual cards or packs on ebay for lots of money. 

Is this the future!? Sheesh

AC1D246B-D683-4695-B5ED-D4DFC1145C5F.thumb.jpeg.07daf89639e70c882d8ba39e84dd8dfb.jpeg

I don't understand this.  The whole blockchain concept never made sense to me.  Maybe it's a generational thing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Agillig said:

Which is ironic, because I could swear the early PR around this system is that modern games are too complicated, and what not.

I believe it was introduced that way. Yes.

I don't know how or why NFTs and blockchain and other shit has crept into its ecosphere. I can only surmise that because it's new and shiny and all that. But. You know what? I DON'T WANT THAT.

Is Amico & gang desperate where they need to consider perceived benefits of some newfangled tech to turn a profit? I would hope not.

Did they fall prey to some 3rd-party middleman selling some sort of NFT, NFC, or blockchain "service". Like some marketing guy from a company selling something? Too many middlemen for my tastes.

1 hour ago, Agillig said:

Seems like if the system has to be connected to the internet, the door is wide open for microtransactions, patches, and all that other stuff. Senior citizens and small children aren't going to want to fool with all this.

I'm in the middle and I don't want it either.

The original Atari VCS, Intellivision, Colecovision and other systems of the era never had any of this crap. And yet, somehow, they were loads of fun. Plain simple unadulterated fun. No spoilage. Easy to use. In fact the hardest thing about getting going was convincing mom & dad that the games wouldn't blow out the television!

Getting games even seemed to happen "all by itself" even.. Yes. We were always at the supermarket, or department store, or drug store. And every month we'd see something new to take home. Excitement with self-generated hype was the order of the day. Most of the times we weren't disappointed.

Every purchase, every new cartridge, was carefully discussed and considered. Potential merits and downsides were weighed over late-nite game sessions or on stormy "stuck-inside" afternoons reading EGM or VG or J.

We didn't know it at the time but a good filter was in place. The logistics of big distro. Filtered out most of the shit. Your game had to be good enough to warrant production and be introduced at markets. Something worthwhile. Activision, Atari, Imagic, TigerVision, Sears, Intellivision/Mattel, Coleco, CBS, Arcadia, 20th Century, and more - immediately come to mind.

The industry was forced to re-organize itself when no-name wannabe startups started pushing crap "me too" games. CommaVid, Companies that had assumed just "because videogames!!" was reason enough to waste a gamer's time & money. This resulted in the bar being lowered more and more. And soon the industry got a bad rap and crashed.

Today we won't likely ever have a crash again. And that is unfortunate because we need a reset every now and then. There is an endless supply of new entrants to the market. So when a console fails for whatever reason. It'll just kinda go away like Ouya. Another will take its place instantly.

Ouya. That funny almost-flushable "nothing-special" cube. Remember that? Never seen so much garbage on any platform ever.

46 minutes ago, Agillig said:

I don't understand this.  The whole blockchain concept never made sense to me.  Maybe it's a generational thing. 

Mmm. I believe it comes from a generation already sucked in on itself.

Not sure I wanna stuff my head with more technological busywork. Have enough trouble making my 40 year old dot-matrix printer work in Windows 11. So.. Yeh!

4 hours ago, Agillig said:

I could swear the early PR around this system is that modern games are too complicated, and what not.

That is still their campaign as of E3. "What we are is a really simple, fun party machine that you can bring out when maybe some of your non-gaming friends come over. Maybe you have a husband or a wife who isn't into gaming as much as you are. Maybe grandma comes over and you want to play a simple motion controlled game or a card game or board game, dice, whatever it is. See, all of our games are built around fun and simplicity, that's the most important thing for us..."

1 hour ago, Keatah said:

In fact the hardest thing about getting going was convincing mom & dad that the games wouldn't blow out the television!

Why was that a thing?  Other than just general ignorance, was there a known issue, urban legend, warning at the TV shops, etc? 

I remember the family not letting me connect my Atari to the "main TV" in the living room because "it's gonna blow it up," and I had to use my own, much smaller, TV for it.   I thought it was with my family/neighborhood, but you mentioning it makes me thing it might have been widespread.

1 hour ago, Keatah said:

Every purchase, every new cartridge, was carefully discussed and considered. Potential merits and downsides were weighed over late-nite game sessions or on stormy "stuck-inside" afternoons reading EGM or VG or J.

Everyone I know just bought games based on the cover art and/or screenshots on the back.   Heck, I bought "Blades of Steel" based on title alone from a catalog because "kid me" was certain that it was gonna be some sort of sword n' sorcery or ninja type of game.  What the hell else could that title mean?

... happy ending though -- I've been a hockey fan ever since!

My prediction on how Amico will utilize NFT/RFID. 

1. Purchase console and set up account with personal info and ownership account etc etc.

2. Purchase the physical product game box with a RFID card (or device) inside the box. “Code in a box”

3. Scan the card or tap on console on the reader area. 

4. The console downloads the game from internet onto the console, simultaneously granting you ownership via NFT, and stores that ownership somewhere. (Blockchain or otherwise)

5. Giving you rights to sell or trade in the future. 

Edited by Rev

25 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

Why was that a thing?  Other than just general ignorance, was there a known issue, urban legend, warning at the TV shops, etc?

I think anything new and different has some element of fear in it. This is particularly true for modes of transportation. But with videogames, the image being displayed is new and different. All those solid vibrant colours. Blocky squares you could control. Who knows what that's gonna do to the parts in a TV set. And colour TVs were expensive back in the day.

My parents thought that hooking up stuff would break the wires in the TV itself. The thought of a pre-teen playing with a screwdriver and cables in back of the family's $1000 pride-n-joy would be horrifying to some simpleton parents. We knew RF was harmless. We knew not to stick stuff into the cabinet itself. And that served us well.

Thankfully my grandparents didn't give a shit and I could do what I want. So I hooked up FOUR consoles through this (elaborate to a kid) funky switchbox assembly made of parts from RS.

Only real genuine issue was burn-in on the screen if you didn't rotate through your game library often enough. This was not a problem for kids because we moved from game to game rather quickly. And most all consoles either blanked the screen or cycled colors if you left them un-attended anyways. So it never manifested into a real problem.

I don't recall any TV shops mentioning any reason why

25 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

I remember the family not letting me connect my Atari to the "main TV" in the living room because "it's gonna blow it up," and I had to use my own, much smaller, TV for it.   I thought it was with my family/neighborhood, but you mentioning it makes me thing it might have been widespread.

These concerns seemed to fade away in the early 80's. Whether that's because TV prices were coming down, or because videogames had turned into a nationwide phenomenon I don't know.

Sometimes I think the whole dust-up was an excuse because parents didn't want kids monopolizing prime-time viewing hours with games.

1 minute ago, Rev said:

4. The console downloads the game from internet onto the console, simultaneously granting you ownership via NFT, amd stores that ownership somewhere. (Blockchain or otherwise)

5. Giving you rights to sell or trade in the future. 

I agree with 1-3 (that don't need any NFT). The question with 4-5:

- The key issue bis whether the game can be activated and downloaded without any Amico servers. Only then NFT makes really sense. However, NFT does not store any significant amount of data.

- If there is a RFID card, then there should be never a situation that there can be a different owner of the card and of the game itself. Hence the card has to be sold physically. So I don't see really much benefit for NFT here. Like just tracing all ownership history? 

Thats the question, are the NFT games only good while Amico servers are around.  Owning a digital game on a dead platform 10 years from now doesnt make sense. How and where would the NFT owned game be played in 10-20 years?    An NFT owned trading card or artwork you could still own it.  But i still dont get why people want to “own” digital trading cards or art.   Lol   

Edited by Rev

3 hours ago, mr_me said:

The forum has rules and guidelines in addition to what's pinned in this section.

Well, then I don't get why some of threads by @BONK were deleted here :/. They didn't seem to go against these rules. It looks rather that some controversial topics are not allowed. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rev said:

Thats the question, are the NFT games only good while Amico servers are around.  Owning a digital game on a dead platform 10 years from now doesnt make sense. How and where would the NFT owned game be played in 10-20 years?    An NFT owned trading card or artwork you could still own it.  But i still dont get why people want to “own” digital trading cards or art.   Lol   

Exactly. However, where these games would be stored for download? How would they be activated without Amico servers? NFT may say you own the game but it does not contain the game. In other words, I am curious and the bar for Tallarico and his team is high. 

1 hour ago, Razzie.P said:

Everyone I know just bought games based on the cover art and/or screenshots on the back.   Heck, I bought "Blades of Steel" based on title alone from a catalog because "kid me" was certain that it was gonna be some sort of sword n' sorcery or ninja type of game.  What the hell else could that title mean?

Oh we did that too. I should add that the debates and carefully-planned discussions always resulted in a yes - buy the game! The act of going to the store and making an afternoon out of it added anticipation and purpose. Visiting a new store was like mapping out an adventure. Another mark on the map.

And so we came home with carts and accessories and cheerfully added them to the bookcase shelving. Made us proud of the "arcade at home" we were constructing week by week.

It didn't take much advertising to get us going. The excitement of the game. A 30-second TV spot. And the product sold itself. The envy of all internet marketers - who seem to feel the need to make a lot of noise and blare everything out full volume in the face of a fatigued audience. Dissecting every forum post. Trying to interpret big data. Spending loads of time making vids and interviews and doing stuff online. Coming up with an idea then trying to convince you that you need it. Not sure it's any more effective than just creating some good simple material and letting it sell itself.

Anyways. All this online stuff isn't for me because it seems so much more complex without any real benefit.

Not tech averse. Not by a longshot. Love new things. Useful things. Breakthrough things - like internal-to-the-chip liquid cooling. That's golden. But NFT? Just a way to transfer money from you to them.

Edited by Keatah

22 hours ago, Keatah said:

I wouldn't worry about it unless a mod calls you on it.

I have had a couple topics deleted which is fine.

It is their site and they have the right to run it the way they see fit.

Not sure I will be posting much any longer though since now any post I make is pending moderators approval which again I am not complaining because maybe I went a bit overboard in some of my opinions but being moderated for every post just ruins the experience a bit.

Would be cool if they gave some private message to me in warning before banning me from topics and placing a hold on my comments.

Anyways, wish you all well and hope you continue the conversation in whatever way that can continue. 

Peace and good vibes go out to TT and IE.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Bonkey Kong said:

I have had a couple topics deleted which is fine.

It is their site and they have the right to run it the way they see fit.

Not sure I will be posting much any longer though since now any post I make is pending moderators approval which again I am not complaining because maybe I went a bit overboard in some of my opinions but being moderated for every post just ruins the experience a bit.

Would be cool if they gave some private message to me in warning before banning me from topics and placing a hold on my comments.

Anyways, wish you all well and hope you continue the conversation in whatever way that can continue. 

Peace and good vibes go out to TT and IE.

https://intellivisiononline.forumotion.com/f35-intellivision-amico

Here is a different Amico forum.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

Back in the NES days Konami/Ultra was almost always a sure bet.  Get rid of Bayou Billy and give Top Gun auto pilot and they'd have a spotless record in my experience. 

• Like 1

On 8/18/2021 at 7:22 AM, Rev said:

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/investing/nft-non-fungible-token/

I had to look up what NFT really was. 

Interesting. You own, buy, sell, maybe trade a digital or virtual item is what ive gathered.   

I heard some co-workers talking about essentially a jpg file they wanted to buy and get a projector to display on the wall. I  thought I was on drugs.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, martianman2012 said:

I heard some co-workers talking about essentially a jpg file they wanted to buy and get a projector to display on the wall. I  thought I was on drugs.

“You will own nothing and be happy”

😜

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Agillig said:

Back in the NES days Konami/Ultra was almost always a sure bet.  Get rid of Bayou Billy and give Top Gun auto pilot and they'd have a spotless record in my experience. 

Yeah, I didn't think too much of it at the time, but I always knew when I saw Konami/Ultra, it was gonna be quality.

I even love Bayou Billy and Top Gun  😁