IGNORED

Homebrew Genesis pad compatibility

Prizrak

There are three different Radar Lock hacks for 2-buttons

Radar Lock 2-button genesis controller: does rom exist? - Atari 2600 Hacks - AtariAge Forums

v2 = 

If C is held down, the afterburners are kicked on. The weapon rack is still switched whenever you press it, tho (need a solution for that). But they won't constantly flip anymore.

v3 =

Use the game select switch to play higher levels

Do you folks use 3 button or a 6 button controller? The 3 I bought is defective and exchanging it today, I've read the 3 button models have some unreliability as the years go by. Some reason my up and down don't work. Checked and cleaned everything inside but it's beyond that evidently. Hopefully get a working one and check out all these hacks/homebrew games.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Prizrak said:

Do you folks use 3 button or a 6 button controller? The 3 I bought is defective and exchanging it today, I've read the 3 button models have some unreliability as the years go by. Some reason my up and down don't work. Checked and cleaned everything inside but it's beyond that evidently. Hopefully get a working one and check out all these hacks/homebrew games.

I use a generic 6 button, but they should all be more or less the same. The protocol to select the additional buttons on a 6-button controller hasn't been implemented in any 2600 games.

The up and down directions aren't usable when the select line (pin 7, which is +5v on the 2600) is low. Are you using a joystick extension cable? Also, do paddle controllers still work in your console? If it's not an extension or console issue, then yeah, the mux chip in your genesis controller has probably died or the select line has somehow been broken.

I was using an extension cable but then tried without as well for troubleshooting purposes. Both the same result and both paddles and the driving controller work on my system. Hopefully just a bad Genesis controller.

• Like 1

Ugh I can't win, I could have switched for another 3 button but thought let me exchange for a 6 button to see if that works. This one doesn't move any directions and fire is constantly going. Is it normal to have Genesis controllers go bad? Could it be my Atari and I'm swapping controllers for no reason?

1 hour ago, Prizrak said:

Is it normal to have Genesis controllers go bad? Could it be my Atari and I'm swapping controllers for no reason?

No, not really normal. I haven't seen one die like that before. Usually it's just typical wear and tear type stuff.

No directions is a bit odd, since up and down should work no matter what the select line sees. I'm trying to imagine what in the console could cause such varying symptoms between your two different genesis controllers. Maybe a marginal riot, or possibly the power supply isn't sufficient. Dunno.

I wonder if certain models of the 2600 may have issues. Mine is a light six that's a sears model and it's AV modded with one of the standard kits. All my controllers I've ever used work with the exception of the Genesis pads. I was getting some issues with a Lady Bug cart I own but cleaned the systems cart port and it seems to have resloved I think. Hmmm

7 hours ago, Nathan Strum said:

I had no luck with cheap knock-offs.

Then I bought the Retro-Bit controller, which is officially licensed and effectively identical to the original Genesis controllers. Works great!

They are good, but QC seems to vary. First two I got work great with Forgotten Worlds when the mode button is held, but the third one I bought doesn't work with Forgotten Worlds, even with the mode button held before startup. First two work great with the 2600daptor D9 and Stelladaptor, but the last one I bought doesn't work correctly with either adapter. Still works great with most games (and oddly works with Ms. Pac-Man when mode is held all the way to the title screen), though. Some third party controllers have odd behavior with forgotten worlds. The Hyperkin GN6 works with Forgotten Worlds when the mode button is held before startup, but B button pauses the game (I heard mileage may very with those too).  

I haven't checked to see if the latest Retro-bit controller works with the 2600, but the first two RB controllers I bought definitely work with the 2600. 

Edited by BrianC