Jump to content
leejsmith

Atari 800xl covered in leaking battery restoration project.

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I have repaired a few retro systems bought untested from ebay, but this one was just stupid.

Part one of the video is opening the box and doing some initial cleaning.

 

Video part 1.

I am the idiot that bought this battery acid damaged atari 800xl

 

It's been about 3 weeks and I made lots of progress on the case and keyboard, but the mobo needs a lot of work to clean and remove the corroded components.

 

 

s-l1600 (1).jpg

PXL_20210802_130232238.jpg

Edited by leejsmith
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That movie should be 18+ rated, this thing is a house of horrors ☠️.

Good luck with the restoration, looking forward to part 2.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah! He does ask himself 'what did I do'!?     I think he needs a full size ultrasonic cleaner !  Put each piece in and run in multiple orientations, so much crap can be stuck and hiding in that mess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was amazed there are still traces on the PCB. When I saw what the acid had done to the shielding, I didn't have much hope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's amazing what a bit of vinigar does, but I think that thing would dry up the whole UK supply.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, it's not your usual vinegar for salads. It's white vinegar (the Dutch call it "cleaning vinegar") which is way more concentrated and not for human consumption :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ivop said:

Well, it's not your usual vinegar for salads. It's white vinegar (the Dutch call it "cleaning vinegar") which is way more concentrated and not for human consumption :)

 

Yes, white vinegar is great at cleaning.  I use it to flush my tankless water heater twice a year.  Cleans and clears the mineral deposits. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, leejsmith said:

untested from ebay

i hope you got it cheap!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, xrbrevin said:

i hope you got it cheap!

That's the crazy thing, people like projects so I think it sold for about the same price as a working model.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, xrbrevin said:

i hope you got it cheap!

Nope, 70 sterling IIRC. But hey, that's including what looks like an ingot, a tapedrive and several tapes. What's to complain?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ah, the vid explains it all..

and yes, great heroes need a challenging quest from time to time 😎

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Ah! He does ask himself 'what did I do'!?     I think he needs a full size ultrasonic cleaner !  Put each piece in and run in multiple orientations, so much crap can be stuck and hiding in that mess.

a full size was out of my budget so I went for one that can do half the board at a time 10L 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suggest you get rid of the RF modulator. You don't need it if you use the monitor output. I'm pretty sure it's b0rked on the inside anyway. You can lift the lid if you want to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

as other posters said, white vinegar is great for lifting rust without harming the afflicted parts

do you know if it can be used in the ultrasonic bath? i used thinners in mine on a carb and whilst it did a great job, it did dissolve the plastic grille tray - now i need a stainless one...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ivop said:

I suggest you get rid of the RF modulator. You don't need it if you use the monitor output. I'm pretty sure it's b0rked on the inside anyway. You can lift the lid if you want to.

it's gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, xrbrevin said:

as other posters said, white vinegar is great for lifting rust without harming the afflicted parts

do you know if it can be used in the ultrasonic bath? i used thinners in mine on a carb and whilst it did a great job, it did dissolve the plastic grille tray - now i need a stainless one...

not sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good bleeping god... We all like a challenge, but that's almost a complete rebuild.. I'd be stunned if anything is ok and I hate to think how many traces and vis's are missing / rotted..

 

I wish you luck and hope you have well lined pockets..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mclaneinc said:

Good bleeping god... We all like a challenge, but that's almost a complete rebuild.. I'd be stunned if anything is ok and I hate to think how many traces and vis's are missing / rotted..

 

I wish you luck and hope you have well lined pockets..

I surely enjoyed that video.  Like a end-of-season cliffhanger episode of Dallas (Larry Hagman TV show of the 80s), I cannot wait to see what's next.  Please post when the next adventure is posted on the TUBE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, gilsaluki said:

I surely enjoyed that video.  Like a end-of-season cliffhanger episode of Dallas (Larry Hagman TV show of the 80s), I cannot wait to see what's next.  Please post when the next adventure is posted on the TUBE.

I'm almost old enough to be the late Larry Hagmans dad :)

 

I'd rather have been Victoria Principal's boyfriend though :)

 

Didn't watch the vid (will do)... Can't believe the price it went for... Probably bid on by all the restore guys on YT as fodder for their next fix up..

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed. It's a YT fodder piece.  But it is a video.  These guys must be making some good dough on YT.   Zuckerberg.  DBM

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FJC rakes it in

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

:)

 

I think I'll just put an 800XL badge on Ebay with the text "Ideal for a repairathon video, bring this XL back to its former glory" ..... Should coin it in ;)

Edited by Mclaneinc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, gilsaluki said:

Agreed. It's a YT fodder piece.  But it is a video.  These guys must be making some good dough on YT.   Zuckerberg.  DBM

I will see £0 from YT, not sponsored or monetised in any way.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...