IGNORED

Atari 800xl covered in leaking battery restoration project.

leejsmith

I have repaired a few retro systems bought untested from ebay, but this one was just stupid.

Part one of the video is opening the box and doing some initial cleaning.

Video part 1.

I am the idiot that bought this battery acid damaged atari 800xl

It's been about 3 weeks and I made lots of progress on the case and keyboard, but the mobo needs a lot of work to clean and remove the corroded components.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

PXL_20210802_130232238.jpg

Edited by leejsmith
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, ivop said:

Well, it's not your usual vinegar for salads. It's white vinegar (the Dutch call it "cleaning vinegar") which is way more concentrated and not for human consumption :)

Yes, white vinegar is great at cleaning.  I use it to flush my tankless water heater twice a year.  Cleans and clears the mineral deposits. 

3 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Ah! He does ask himself 'what did I do'!?     I think he needs a full size ultrasonic cleaner !  Put each piece in and run in multiple orientations, so much crap can be stuck and hiding in that mess.

a full size was out of my budget so I went for one that can do half the board at a time 10L 

as other posters said, white vinegar is great for lifting rust without harming the afflicted parts

do you know if it can be used in the ultrasonic bath? i used thinners in mine on a carb and whilst it did a great job, it did dissolve the plastic grille tray - now i need a stainless one...

21 minutes ago, xrbrevin said:

as other posters said, white vinegar is great for lifting rust without harming the afflicted parts

do you know if it can be used in the ultrasonic bath? i used thinners in mine on a carb and whilst it did a great job, it did dissolve the plastic grille tray - now i need a stainless one...

not sure.

Good bleeping god... We all like a challenge, but that's almost a complete rebuild.. I'd be stunned if anything is ok and I hate to think how many traces and vis's are missing / rotted..

I wish you luck and hope you have well lined pockets..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mclaneinc said:

Good bleeping god... We all like a challenge, but that's almost a complete rebuild.. I'd be stunned if anything is ok and I hate to think how many traces and vis's are missing / rotted..

I wish you luck and hope you have well lined pockets..

I surely enjoyed that video.  Like a end-of-season cliffhanger episode of Dallas (Larry Hagman TV show of the 80s), I cannot wait to see what's next.  Please post when the next adventure is posted on the TUBE.

11 minutes ago, gilsaluki said:

I surely enjoyed that video.  Like a end-of-season cliffhanger episode of Dallas (Larry Hagman TV show of the 80s), I cannot wait to see what's next.  Please post when the next adventure is posted on the TUBE.

I'm almost old enough to be the late Larry Hagmans dad :)

I'd rather have been Victoria Principal's boyfriend though :)

Didn't watch the vid (will do)... Can't believe the price it went for... Probably bid on by all the restore guys on YT as fodder for their next fix up..

• Haha 1

FJC rakes it in

:)

I think I'll just put an 800XL badge on Ebay with the text "Ideal for a repairathon video, bring this XL back to its former glory" ..... Should coin it in ;)

Edited by Mclaneinc