IGNORED

Does anybody repair Master Component units?

DZ-Jay

My main Intellivision I Master Component I use (occasionally) to play Intellivision games just gave up the ghost. I plugged it in today and ... kaput!  It wouldn't turn on.

I took out another unit and tested the same cartridges, and it worked fine, but this other one would not work.  At first, I got a black screen, no matter how many times I hit RESET.  After a few tries with a few cartridges, I started getting a colorful screen with flashing bright colors.  Hitting reset. Few times would just go dark or all pink.  :(

Does anybody here repair these machines?  I like this particular unit:  the hand controllers seemed to work fine, and it looked clean and shiny -- as opposed to many of the other I have that are missing buttons and are a bit crusty with grime.

If anybody offers a repair service, please send me a PM.

Thanks.

dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

3 hours ago, DZ-Jay said:

My main Intellivision I Master Component I use (occasionally) to play Intellivision games just gave up the ghost. I plugged it in today and ... kaput!  It wouldn't turn on.

I took out another unit and tested the same cartridges, and it worked fine, but this other one would not work.  At first, I got a black screen, no matter how many times I hit RESET.  After a few tries with a few cartridges, I started getting a colorful screen with flashing bright colors.  Hitting reset. Few times would just go dark or all pink.  :(

Does anybody here repair these machines?  I like this particular unit:  the hand controllers seemed to work fine, and it looked clean and shiny -- as opposed to many of the other I have that are missing buttons and are a bit crusty with grime.

Thanks.

dZ.

I can hook you up DZ… replacement motherboard. PM me. 

On 8/19/2021 at 4:42 PM, DZ-Jay said:

Thanks.

dZ.

Don't toss out that PCB.  Someone might want it and repair it.  There are a few key transistors and chips that fail that cause what your seeing.. could also be the power board as well.

Only way to really tell is to do some voltage reading.  Do you have a volt meter?

• Like 1

Very likely one of the 3906s have gone bad. I replace them out on all Intellivisions that I service as a PM measure. Also many of the original 12Ω resistors off the the power supply boards are starting to crack and flake and go bad. So I've been replacing those out as well whether needed or not.

Another odd thing that can happen to cause this, is the crystal getting out of adjustment on the timing to the ICs. I've had that happen once and actually had the crystal go bad in one other Intellivision. C2 is the variable capacitor to adjust the frequency for the timing, but you need a freq counter or decent scope to check and adjust it.

• Like 1