IMBerzerk

Well here's a little good news...Toys R Us is trying again.

Looks like it's very limited to start with under the Macy's umbrella.  Not sure how many states still have Macy's stores anymore.  But we do in Long Island in a few of the malls (Daddy..what's a mall?).  So let's see what happens.

I'm hopeful it works out.  I miss the days you could take your kid to a toy store and actually have fun with them playing in the aisles.  

https://longisland.news12.com/toys-r-us-set-to-make-a-comeback-inside-macys-department-stores

Fingers crossed 

• Like 6

A Toys R Us had opened a mini store in the Garden State Plaza Mall in NJ late 2019, but it ended up closing late Summer of last year due to the reduced foot traffic in malls during the pandemic.  I did go there twice and bought from there once while it was open.  It's not my closest mall, so it wasn't a place I would have gone too regularly in the best of circumstances.  I do miss Toys R Us though.  There used to be a couple of nearby locations before the bankruptcy that I would shop at.  Action figure collecting in particular has become an ordeal since Toys R Us left the industry.  Target and Walmart seem content to have aisles of empty pegs.

I hope it's successful.  There was nothing quite like picking up my daughter from Elementary school, taking her for pizza and hitting Toys R Us because she did so well in school.

That personal interaction is just lost clicking through Amazon.

People don't realize that sometimes life isn't about what's convenient, but what leaves a lasting impression.

• Like 6

I would like to see them come back. However, they need to get their prices on par with Wal-Mart. I know the last time I was in one everything felt inflated.

I do agree clicking around online isn't the same. Five and Below and even the Dollar Tree can be fun for really young kids. Still not quite the same as walls and walls of toys.

• Like 1

It seems weird to see a toy department inside Macy's   did they ever have one?   I remember JC Penney used to back in the 70s/80s

• Like 2

Canadians still have Toys R Us though 👍

Target and Walmart do not have nearly the selection they had. Lego set variety is especially lacking at either of these.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, zzip said:

It seems weird to see a toy department inside Macy's   did they ever have one?   I remember JC Penney used to back in the 70s/80s

Sears did, and I think JC Penney's had a small section, but Macy's didn't outside of the Xmas season.  They played the seasons...now that I think of it, JC Penney's did as well.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2021 at 9:36 AM, zzip said:

I don't recall Macy's, because my family didn't shop there as much as JC Penney and Sears back then.  But they must have, because I found this picture of a Macy's Star Wars toy section. 

image.jpeg.c75cd0e7248649fd645627c816ea0bde.jpeg

I also do remember the toy department in J.C. Penney though.  Mine had it down the leftside wall as soon as you entered the store.  VHS rentals were on the second floor.  There was also a restaurant at the entrance that my family used to have dinner at before shopping.  That's long gone as well though.  It's been a hair salon ever since.  The JC Penney itself is still there.  My wife and I still shop there from time to time.  I usually pick-up a retro t-shirt or 2.

image.png.f7ec4e531fe83fc998ce68c88c3a19db.png

I also remember Sears selling video games specifically, because that's where we bought Super Mario Bros 3 when it released.

• Like 1

Hmmm. I wonder if the Toys R Us building in Sunnyvale is still haunted (it used to be pretty famous).  My cousin used to work there.   It would be interesting to see what is in the building now.

Would be an awesome Spirit store!

48 minutes ago, Downland1983 said:

I don't recall Macy's, because my family didn't shop there as much as JC Penney and Sears back then.  But they must have, because I found this picture of a Macy's Star Wars toy section. 

My parents liked JC Penney too, but they never ventured all that far into the mall itself,  rarely to the other end where Macy's was.  I also don't think it was a Macy's at first either.   Not sure when Macy's bought it.   When I became old enough to drive and go to the mall, Macy's didn't have a toy section, but I think JCP had gotten rid of theirs by that time, so maybe it was a trend among those stores.

53 minutes ago, Downland1983 said:

I also do remember the toy department in J.C. Penney though.  Mine had it down the leftside wall as soon as you entered the store.  VHS rentals were on the second floor.  There was also a restaurant at the entrance that my family used to have dinner at before shopping.  That's long gone as well though.  It's been a hair salon ever since.  The JC Penney itself is still there.  My wife and I still shop there from time to time.  I usually pick-up a retro t-shirt or 2.

Yes, there was a restaurant in ours too on the left side where you walked in, customer service was on the right, and just beyond that was the toy section front and center.   You couldn't miss it!  I think it was a fairly good size too,  probably bigger than the K*B store in the mall at least.

1 hour ago, Downland1983 said:

I also remember Sears selling video games specifically, because that's where we bought Super Mario Bros 3 when it released.

I think Sears kept this stuff much longer than the other department stores.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaptainBreakout said:

Hmmm. I wonder if the Toys R Us building in Sunnyvale is still haunted (it used to be pretty famous).  My cousin used to work there.   It would be interesting to see what is in the building now.

It seems that it will become an REI

Bay Area's infamous haunted Toys R Us finally gets new permanent tenant (sfgate.com)

I've not been in that area in a few years, so I am not sure if REI has actually moved in, yet.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, zzip said:

My parents liked JC Penney too, but they never ventured all that far into the mall itself,  rarely to the other end where Macy's was.  I also don't think it was a Macy's at first either.   Not sure when Macy's bought it.   When I became old enough to drive and go to the mall, Macy's didn't have a toy section, but I think JCP had gotten rid of theirs by that time, so maybe it was a trend among those stores.

Yes, there was a restaurant in ours too on the left side where you walked in, customer service was on the right, and just beyond that was the toy section front and center.   You couldn't miss it!  I think it was a fairly good size too,  probably bigger than the K*B store in the mall at least.

I think Sears kept this stuff much longer than the other department stores.

If I recall... Sears and JCPenny's were so popular with the average household because they were one of the first large department stores to offer credit cards.  So you could load-up on stuff.   They catered to the working-class (which my family was).  Macy's did as well, but their prices were always a lot higher.  

I remember how amazing all the stores looked for Xmas, all the displays and massive amounts of toys.  Sears had the best, because as we know, they rebranded all their own stuff.  I never had anything original brand, it was always Sears.  Definitely because of the credit cards.  I had the Sears Intellivision, Sears Electronic Touchdown (Coleco QB), Kenmore (Sears) appliances... etc.  It was good stuff, it just wasnt the name brand so I got a little razzed by my friends because of it.   You know.. oh, you're poor, your family buys Sears.. LOL.   Last laugh was on me... the Sears SVA is sooooo much nicer than the original Intellivision.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, CaptainBreakout said:

Loved that store! I used to go to that TRU as it still had that 70's look. And they usually had stock of games that others ran out of.  Not sure why. But they always had better stock. Sometimes even better than Fry's. After that.. Off to an independent CD store very close by. Followed by a horrible buffet at Sunnyvale Town Center.  (Kings Table).  

• Like 1

On 9/1/2021 at 9:27 AM, woobman said:

Followed by a horrible buffet at Sunnyvale Town Center.  (Kings Table)

I remember King's Table, but I think the location we went to was in the Campbell area near the Pruneyard

image.png.8be088f52e05ecd0bcdc9b9b8787c9eb.png