Other Accessories:

850 Interface Module

1010 Tape Drive

1027 Printer

XEP80

XM301 Modem - With Box

MPP1000C Modem

Unidentified Blue Box with damaged cable

Currently, my plan is to hold onto an 800, my dad's 800XL, and the XEGS. The XL and XEGS both have a lot of sentimental value to me and the 800 plays some games the others can't. I might also hold on to the 400, but I haven't decided yet. The other machines (barring the 800 going to my brother) will be going on the market soon.

As for the rest, I only really care about cartridge games (that's pretty much all I ever played as a kid), so I'm planning to sell those disk drives and all the other accessories, unless I'm given a good reason to hold onto them.

16 minutes ago, T.A.P. said:

As for the rest, I only really care about cartridge games (that's pretty much all I ever played as a kid), so I'm planning to sell those disk drives and all the other accessories, unless I'm given a good reason to hold onto them.

You'll be buying back some of that stuff later. Likely at a higher price. You're going to come across some games that are not on cartridge. And you'll need a disk drive - unless you get an "everdrive".

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Keatah said:

You'll be buying back some of that stuff later. Likely at a higher price. You're going to come across some games that are not on cartridge. And you'll need a disk drive - unless you get an "everdrive".

I actually was planning to get one of those everdrive flash carts/drives for disk games, but what would you recommend I keep if I didn't do that? 

2 hours ago, T.A.P. said:

Don't worry, I'm not planning to use any of those to test these machines. I'm going to buy a new, (hopefully) safe AC adapter to use to test those machines, if someone can direct me to a good one.

Tape Drives and Disk Drives aren't my thing (they're just too much work and stress for me to want to deal with) so if you want a 1010 with matching dust cover...

What's the XEP80? I tried looking it up online, but wasn't having much luck.

The AC power supplies are safe as long as you don't connect one with too high an output voltage, they are just a transformer and a fuse. The devices which use AC power supplies have rectifier diodes and voltage regulators.

The XEP80 requires a driver in order to be used, this is normally loaded from disk although SpartaDOS X has its own version.

8 hours ago, T.A.P. said:

I actually was planning to get one of those everdrive flash carts/drives for disk games, but what would you recommend I keep if I didn't do that? 

Theres a number of options here - I recently got an AVG cart and its dead simple to use and you can basically run every cart and disk based game off 1 device.

As for the XEP80 question you had.  Its an 80 column adaptor for the 8bit series.  Connects via the joystick port and requires a 15mhz monitor in order to work.  Theres a number of threads in this forum about the XEP80.  Most likely you wont need to keep this unless you plan on using one of the machines to do Word Processing on.

• Like 1

About power supply, I've seen many members of my local community that have replaced bricks, ingots and heavy black cubes by modern USB chargers (usually 5V 2A) with the simple addition of a DIN connector for the XL/XE/XEGS or using the original power cable (soldering required).

I did the same for my 9V Atari consoles, but it was a bit harder to find such kind of power supply as they are not as common as USB devices. To the experts: should this work with the 800, 1200XL, disk drives and other 9V devices?

Edited by vitoco

49 minutes ago, vitoco said:

To the experts: should this work with the 800, 1200XL, disk drives and other 9V devices?

As long as the output from the power supply is 9VAC and can deliver the appropriate current for the

device it's connected to then it will work.

To give you an idea, my 800's PSU is 9VAC 15.3VA which equates to 1.7Amps

My 1050 PSU is 9VAC 27VA which equates to 3Amps

So the 1050 PSU will work fine on both the 1050 and 800

but the 800 PSU would likely overheat and blow the internal fuse if used on the 1050.

11 hours ago, T.A.P. said:

I'm late to this thread, but here's some advice. You've got a pretty great setup there. And this hobby, once you dive into it, can get pretty fun and addicting, and the community is pretty great. It's *very* common to get interested in the system and then regret selling stuff that is now very expensive to get. I would sit on this stuff for awhile and see how you get on. You can always sell later.

At minimum you are going to want to keep the 1200xl (rare/valuable), An 800xl or 130xe and an 800, so that you have backup units if one fails. I'd personally save more than that and store them out in the garage or something. If it were me I'd keep the 1200, 2x 800xl, and the 130 xe. You'll also want a couple of disk drives (I'd pair the xf551s with the XE, or the 1050s with a XL) and a tape drive. I'd also keep the XEP80 as it's also very hard to find.

In terms of which 'everdrive' to get:

The best combo is Ultimate1mb and a Side3, but that requires some light soldering. This turns your Atari into a far more capable machine and opens up amazing Spartados X possibilities.

AVG cart would probably be next.

Next best is probably an SDrive Max (cheap, widely available, plays most everything, if you want cheap and easy, this is probably your bet)

After that, probably an Ultimate Cart (carts and executables, no disk images)

Just my two cents.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, T.A.P. said:

What's the XEP80?

It is an external processor + video-interfacing solution that will provide crisp, detailed 80-columns output for ANY Atari host machine in your collection, provided you have sufficient RAM to run its soft-loadable drivers (especially the latest ULTRA-speed crop, designed and coded by Phaeron, author of Altirra Atari 8bit emulator).

Being the owner of other, dedicated 80-col. HW solutions for the 800 (which the 800XL cannot run)  I would strongly suggest you to KEEP the XEP80. The main reasoning behind this is that, it will enable you to enjoy a computational experience that goes well beyond the mere "game console" role.

Moreover, in the future event where you become interested in such scenario, it will allow you to enjoy SDX (the most powerful 8-bit DOS available today) to its full potential and speed, well beyond the classical "Ready" blue-screen session. At least, you will leave that door open, since the XEP80 is not that easy replace.

It will not be an easy-peasy walk in the park, since the XEP80 will demand every bit of A/D bandwidth and effective 480i / 576i resolution in any CRT / LCD setup, but the latest Ultra drivers will help a lot adapting it quickly.

I happen to use it everyday, along one of my 800s (my nutty daily-driver setup, XEP80 output on the right):

96472F1A-8BF5-4272-8FEE-4899817D878E.thumb.jpeg.509e3333d2d621a52fb7c496c1f7d115.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

To give you an idea, my 800's PSU is 9VAC 15.3VA which equates to 1.7Amps

My 1050 PSU is 9VAC 27VA which equates to 3Amps

Most of the 9V power supplies from the posted photos are AC (just one is DC).  I knew that 1050 is 9VAC, as well as the 850 interface, but I didn't get that some of them were related to the 400/800 computers...  why am I not surprised?

2 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

So the 1050 PSU will work fine on both the 1050 and 800

but the 800 PSU would likely overheat and blow the internal fuse if used on the 1050.

A BIG warning!!!

• Like 1

Can anyone recommend a good replacement power supply I can buy for the 800XLs and other machines that use the ingots?

I am not tech-savvy, and I don't have the space, tools, or skills to make my own.

Also, out of all the AC adapters I have posted pictures of, is there a suitable one in there to test out the 1200XL?

I get that it's a rare machine, but it sounds like it's a really maintenance heavy machine and from what I have gathered from here, it can't do anything the other machines can, right?

11 minutes ago, T.A.P. said:

I get that it's a rare machine, but it sounds like it's a really maintenance heavy machine and from what I have gathered from here, it can't do anything the other machines can, right?

Well, you can type F1, F2, F3, and F4 on the keyboard :) Other than that, I don't know of any other features it has that the next generation did not have.

13 minutes ago, T.A.P. said:

Can anyone recommend a good replacement power supply I can buy for the 800XLs and other machines that use the ingots?

I am not tech-savvy, and I don't have the space, tools, or skills to make my own.

A lot of people buy a 2A USB charger with a cable. Cut-off the mini/micro connector, and connect one (most of the time the red) wire to the +5V on the cut-off DIN connector of the ingot, and connect the other wire to GND. Can even be done cable-to-cable with shrink tube without soldering. But that might already be beyond you capabilities? Perhaps somebody else knows a place where these are sold pre-made?

6 minutes ago, ivop said:

A lot of people buy a 2A USB charger with a cable. Cut-off the mini/micro connector, and connect one (most of the time the red) wire to the +5V on the cut-off DIN connector of the ingot, and connect the other wire to GND. Can even be done cable-to-cable with shrink tube without soldering. But that might already be beyond you capabilities? Perhaps somebody else knows a place where these are sold pre-made?

Yeah, I want a pre-made one.

Edited by T.A.P.

Here's a full power supply that uses "PC" style cables for the wall socket:

https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=134

Looks like circa $25. No idea about shipping.

Here's a cable that you can connect to a USB charger:

https://www.8bitclassics.com/product/atari-xl-xe-usb-power-cable/

Without charger it's $11.99.

2 hours ago, T.A.P. said:

Also, out of all the AC adapters I have posted pictures of, is there a suitable one in there to test out the 1200XL?

The C017945's are what the 1200XL came with and work great even today.  Did you find a cable for the monitor port? It's a male round five pin DIN on the computer end. It will either have RCA composite on the other end plus audio or it will have two male RCA chroma+luma plugs and another RCA for audio.

Edited by Sugarland

59 minutes ago, T.A.P. said:

Would this AV cable work with the 1200XL or any of the other computers?

https://www.amazon.com/Old-Skool-Genesis-Standard-Connection/dp/B014PHZOWM

I have a couple of these lying around already for my Sega consoles.

Can't say whether that one will or not, but I'll vouch for this one:

https://www.8bitclassics.com/product/5-pin-din-to-composite-av-cable/

That's the same one I'm using, and have zero complaints.

I figured I should take pictures of the other machines' serial numbers. Looks like that 800XL box is the original for dad's original computer!

Also, it looks like one of the 800XLs has a black sticker instead of a normal white one. What's up with that?

I also opened up that small, weird blue box with the damaged wires. Anyone know what that thing is?

130xe.jpg

20210823_193143.jpg

20210823_193445.jpg

20210823_193534.jpg

20210823_194643.jpg

inside blue box.jpg