IGNORED

My dad left me his computer collection and I don't know where to start

T.A.P.

Not sure if anyone has pointed this out yet.

But even if they have... can't hurt to say it again.

While you're going through all this.  Just keep in mind (and be grateful).

You're getting your dad's collection under much better circumstances than most of us got our dad's collections.

Don't forget to call him and tell him how much fun we're all having helping you sort this out.

Because... you actually can.

• Like 9

52 minutes ago, T.A.P. said:

Also, it looks like one of the 800XLs has a black sticker instead of a normal white one. What's up with that?

The black label indicates that this 800XL was manufactured by Chelco, I think they only had the one manufacturing location in Hong Kong.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tillek said:

Not sure if anyone has pointed this out yet.

But even if they have... can't hurt to say it again.

While you're going through all this.  Just keep in mind (and be grateful).

You're getting your dad's collection under much better circumstances than most of us got our dad's collections.

Don't forget to call him and tell him how much fun we're all having helping you sort this out.

Because... you actually can.

I definitely will!

We talked on the phone the other day for nearly an hour about this stuff, and I'm sure I'll be talking to him again about this soon, especially once I get some of this stuff up and running.

Here's the updated inventory list:

Computers:

800 x2 (one is going to my brother) - One With Box

1200XL

600XL - With Box

800XL x3 - One With Box

130XE

XEGS

Disk Drives:

1050 x2

XF551 x3

Other Accessories:

850 Interface Module

1010 Tape Drive

1027 Printer

XEP80

XM301 Modem - With Box

MPP1000C Modem

MAX232 version of the SIO2PC - wires appear damaged (thanks to vitoco for identifying this!)

On 8/21/2021 at 9:03 AM, T.A.P. said:

I've been getting lots of people asking about the 1200XL. What makes them so desirable? I thought it was supposed to be one that was less compatible with stuff back in the day, and all this talk of bad keyboards seems like they'd be a pain to deal with.

In the opinion of some (including me) if the keyboards work, they're the best keyboards on the A8 line.  (I'm saying this as a BBS guy who runs and calls BBS's (and ACTUALLY CONTRIBUTES BY TYPING MESSAGES) and that keyboard has some great features.... like a backspace key that is big enough to hit... and a BREAK key that is on the top level of the flat keys like option and select.... so you don't accidentally hit it).

Trust me... if the keyboard works, it's a gem for those who actually use it.

Also, the case is big enough to handle most upgrades with ease.

If you actually care to have them around, don't let them go.  It should be easy enough to see if the motherboard revision is easily upgradeable (my 1200xl was a cinch to put a U1MB into, others... not so much).

Does anyone on here offer an actual repair service for these old machines? I suspect due to their age, some of the ones I want to keep may need to get some work to get them back in top shape.

I'm especially concerned about the XEGS. The keyboards and other stuff on them go bad, right?

Edited by T.A.P.

Repair services seem to come and go. On a hobbyist-sized scale. I used to do Apple II repairs, but not anymore except in certain circumstances.

The cost of shipping is a big obstacle. Properly packed, an 800 or Apple II might cost $40.00 one way! And there always seem to be other "supporting" or secondary issues that pop-up after fixing the primary problem. And if those secondary things aren't taken care of the system goes on to experience a whole host of new symptoms. Akin to living longer and developing new unheard of diseases.

What is popular, however, is posting photos and detailed descriptions and letting the community guide you. Repair by proxy more or less. This implies you know some best-practices and skill like soldering, using a 'scope and DMM, hand tools, and other bits and pieces found in an electronics shop. And this is very beneficial to the community because others may have the same problem.

Furthermore, part of the ownership experience IS tinkering and tweaking and experimenting. Activities may range from cleaning the cartridge port, to designing an FPGA core, to making the next big expansion peripheral.

Learning the basics of electronics and having some practical skills greatly enhances the hobby. Like your example here in this thread. With power supplies, knowing what goes with what, and what specs match what console, and all that. Part of the hobby!

If that doesn't sound palatable, it should. It's not too hard. But there's always Software Emulation and FGPA. I went the SE route decades ago. Not because of 'tronics, but because of constant maintenance, convenience, versatility, and reliability.

• Like 3

Heh, just recently missed an opportunity to snag a cheap 130XE; seller backed out at the last minute because someone paid him full price for it and I wasn’t going to. Drooling over your stuff ?

(and yeah, I still want the power supply; I need a power source for my 6502 homebrew and don’t wanna deal with USB since I’m gonna breadboard it before anything.)

10 hours ago, T.A.P. said:

Does anyone on here offer an actual repair service for these old machines? I suspect due to their age, some of the ones I want to keep may need to get some work to get them back in top shape.

I'm especially concerned about the XEGS. The keyboards and other stuff on them go bad, right?

No need to be concerned about the XEGS.  I have used it as my daily driver for years.  As far as the keyboards going bad, not a great issue.  Mine has never gone bad.  If they do, there are replacement keyboard mylars available.  And, B&C Computervisions sell new ones if you have to go that route.  Also, the is an adapter available that allows the use of a IBM PS/2 style keyboard.  MyTEK.  Also, available on Ebay.   I used an IBM Model M, clicky-type keyboard with my XEGS.  I love it so much that I am writing my life's story with it.

Edited by gilsaluki
spelling

5 hours ago, gilsaluki said:

No need to be concerned about the XEGS.  I have used it as my daily driver for years.  As far as the keyboards going bad, not a great issue.  Mine has never gone bad.  If they do, there are replacement keyboard mylars available.  And, B&C Computervisions sell new ones if you have to go that route.  Also, the is an adapter available that allows the use of a IBM PS/2 style keyboard.  MyTEK.  Also, available on Ebay.   I used an IBM Model M, clicky-type keyboard with my XEGS.  I love it so much that I am writing my life's story with it.

That's really cool! And nice find on that IBM Model M, I hear those things are crazy expensive these days.

Minor Update:

I got a can of compressed air today, so I'm going to start blasting the crud out of the computer keyboards soon.

So for all the 800 experts, I've got a question:

One of the 800s I have has a bunch of rotting/crumbling/nasty old foam getting everywhere (as shown in the photos a few pages back). Any recommendations for cleaning that stuff off? Since it looks like it was originally glued to metal, I want to make sure I'm using some kind of solvent that wont mess that up. Once it's cleaned up, any recommendations on how to glue that stuff back on? Does it need to be glued back?

On 8/23/2021 at 11:54 AM, T.A.P. said:

Also, out of all the AC adapters I have posted pictures of, is there a suitable one in there to test out the 1200XL?

The nasty sticky foam is normal and commonly found. A damp paper towel will wipe most of it. Then isopropyl alcohol with a paper towel to wipe it off, then isopropyl alcohol on a cotton bud. Then if that doesn't get everything use some dish soap (Dawn works great) mixed with a little water for what remains.  You can use super glue to glue the shield back in place. Just be sure it's in the correct place otherwise it will look awkard.

Electronics supply houses make an Orange-Citrus based cleaner, something like Goop-B-Gone. that will soften and remove the foam's remaining adhesive. Allowing it to be wiped away cleanly. You can also use WD-40, sparingly so as not to attack the plastics. Put a little bit on a shop rag, paper towel shreds too easily, and have at it. Afterwards remove the odour and any oil itself remaining behind with a bit of hand soap. The shit gets slipery & slimey and comes right off, the plastics aren't damaged, the user is happy.

I prefer Silicone adhesive formulated for adhering plastics to metals in a low-stress application like this. The issue with Superglue is that the shield is now up against the plastic door. Flush. Flat. The OEM spring-action of the foam is now lost. And results in a gap between the shield itself and the cartridge housing. It's a good 2-3mm. And the shield likely won't contact the cart housing, thus making it useless for its intended Faraday cage. Not that that matters too much in today's world of cable TV and streaming internet. So.. The Silicone adhesive will allow you to recreate that exact spacing. And it will be flexible and springy if you just use few dabs of it scattered around. Or you could go to a crafts store and get some foam and trim to size. Coin-sized bits about 3mm thick will work, are easy to make and apply.

Furthermore, I don't like Superglue to be used there because it eventually outgasses over the weeks ahead. The outer perimeter of the glue sets first, the inner parts still maintain a crystal-fluid type consistency that generates gas which can and will form a layer on socketed chips and other contact surfaces. Thereby making connections intermittent. Ever so slightly.. So if you DO use Superglue, leave the cart door open for several weeks afterwards.

To prove it all. Put a drop of Superglue on a black surface. And you'll see a thin white foggy ring around it develop later. Or glue together clear parts of a model airplane, like the canopy, and you will see it fog up.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Keatah said:

Or glue together clear parts of a model airplane, like the canopy, and you will see it fog up.

Nice to finally read an explanation for that :) I used to build some model airplanes when I was a kid, and this always happened.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, T.A.P. said:

Ok, I've got my new cables and AC adapters, I have a can of compressed air, and I've got a genuine day off coming in a couple of days so I can finally start cleaning and testing these machines.

Wish me luck!

Genuine day off is far better then a fake day off to go playing with toys .:D

Good luck and don't break too many joysticks.

On 8/20/2021 at 12:23 PM, Faicuai said:

Because Florida is 1 among 4 states in the Union with an annual GDP larger than U.S. $1.0 trillion, because it is the #1 state in the union with the higher-population growth (being N.Y. the #1 loser together with California), because it is very well managed, it is fiscally a SURPLUS state (runs a positive budget balance yearly), it has AAA credit-rating (thus being able to issue debt at the lowest possible interest rates), because you don't pay State Taxes (among the 8 states left in the union where you don't), and because it is an endless summer, and on, and on...

That's why.

On 8/20/2021 at 2:01 PM, gilsaluki said:

OOOOOOHHHHH.  Did I just read some politics between those lines.  If I had posted that, I would have been reprimanded, or banned.   Shaaaaaammmme.....

I can't see any reason to reprimand nor ban someone in those comments. What do you see that you consider remotely political? The answer stated an opinion as to why people may retire in Florida. Comparing the economies, taxes, etc. of the states to say which is better based on statistics isn't political. In those cases the good or bad economies are affected by those who manage them. The managers are elected, is that the political point you are stretching to reach? I don't live in either place, who are the managers?

• Thanks 1

Maybe someone already mentioned this but don't be surprised if the print head on the 1027 flies to pieces when you start printing with it.  They do that.

At one time, someone on here (AA) was looking at creating new heads for these printers but I don't know if this ever went anywhere or not...

Good luck with your collection.  My son is not interested in mine so I will probably just post it here when I retrieve it from storage...

11 hours ago, Defender II said:

I can't see any reason to reprimand nor ban someone in those comments. What do you see that you consider remotely political? The answer stated an opinion as to why people may retire in Florida. Comparing the economies, taxes, etc. of the states to say which is better based on statistics isn't political. In those cases the good or bad economies are affected by those who manage them. The managers are elected, is that the political point you are stretching to reach? I don't live in either place, who are the managers?

Oh Poooo... this is old.