Milli Vee

Doom CV engine early demo

This looks pretty good, but if the levels are going to be flat with block walls, wouldn't it make more sense to call this a Wolfenstein 3D engine rather than a Doom engine?  :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pixelboy said:

This looks pretty good, but if the levels are going to be flat with block walls, wouldn't it make more sense to call this a Wolfenstein 3D engine rather than a Doom engine?  :)

The look isn't set in stone yet, mostly working on the 3D aspects. There was a Doom port for the ZX SPectrum that had the wolfenstein look, and I want to avoid the whole "nazi" vibe that goes with wolfenstein. I am using the ZX version as some inspiration

Looks like you used the Lab Mouse engine! 😜😜😜😜😜😜

Posted (edited)

Will you use Raycasting ?

This demo is nicely done

Edited by youki

3 hours ago, youki said:

Will you use Raycasting ?

This demo is nicely done

Nice thanks though I wonder about those colors 

14 hours ago, Milli Vee said:

Nice thanks though I wonder about those colors 

He ended up having to drop colour once he added scaled textures.  Shame he didn't manage to develop the game further - lots of potential there.

4 minutes ago, Ikrananka said:

He ended up having to drop colour once he added scaled textures.  Shame he didn't manage to develop the game further - lots of potential there.

Thats the same bottle neck I am coding around - trying to squeeze as much data to the VDP without killing the frame rate. On the colors I think it must have been his emulator because that yellow is way to vibrant for the CV.

1 minute ago, Milli Vee said:

Thats the same bottle neck I am coding around - trying to squeeze as much data to the VDP without killing the frame rate. On the colors I think it must have been his emulator because that yellow is way to vibrant for the CV.

Yeah, the colours in the video are rather garish.  Good luck with Doom - that's an incredibly tough challenge.

• Thanks 1

Also take a look at these two TI programs for examples of other raycasting and raycasting-like engines for the 9929:

Although numbered in the same sequence, these are two different engines. ;)

ColecoVision can update the screen slightly faster than the TI can, so there's lots of room there.

Edited by Tursi
  • Like 1

Speaking of TI, the first thing I thought of when I saw this CV doom demo are those Wolf 3D style Doom games for the TI graphing calculators. 

• Like 1