IGNORED

Has anyone tried Doom Eternal on the VCS yet?

SizzleAtari

I don't think the game is going to crash if you increase the settings or resolution, but you're unlikely to get an acceptable frame rate at anything above 720p/low.

You can improve the frame rate with some command line hacks though. Here's a guide to setting it up for around 60fps on an Athlon 3000G which is of broadly similar performance.

Bear in mind that the minimum spec for the game is a 1050 Ti though, and that's not doing too badly.

14 hours ago, Matt_B said:

Bear in mind that the minimum spec for the game is a 1050 Ti though, and that's not doing too badly.

Well lots of games perform ok on systems below minimum spec.    I've been involved in meetings deciding minimum specs for products, and the decisions are often arbitrary-  choosing a safe value rather than basing it off extensive testing.

8 hours ago, zzip said:

Well lots of games perform ok on systems below minimum spec.    I've been involved in meetings deciding minimum specs for products, and the decisions are often arbitrary-  choosing a safe value rather than basing it off extensive testing.

They set the minimum specs for 1080p/60fps/low settings, i.e. about as well as it'll run on a PS4. There's certainly a bit of headroom to allow for poorly configured systems, but you're not going to go that much lower without having to drop the resolution, accept a lower frame rate, or resort to config hacks.

Also, we're not just talking slightly below the minimum spec. The Vega 3 has only about a fifth of the compute performance and a third of the memory bandwidth, plus that's shared with the CPU so effectively going to be much lower. The game is scaling remarkably well all things considered.

On 8/26/2021 at 8:11 PM, Matt_B said:

Also, we're not just talking slightly below the minimum spec. The Vega 3 has only about a fifth of the compute performance and a third of the memory bandwidth, plus that's shared with the CPU so effectively going to be much lower. The game is scaling remarkably well all things considered.

The old PC my son has been using is even weaker than the VCS, yet I've been frequently surprised by what games he's gotten to run on it,   So this does not surprise me.   I think a lot of games have published minimum specs that are a lot higher than they need to be.   And different gamers have different tolerances for things.   Some gamers expect everything to run at 60fps or higher with no frame drops ever, and also at a high resolution.   Others have no issue with 30fps, fine with the occasional frame drop.   Also I've seen somes games make the jump to Vulkan, which gave a significant performance a boost on lower spec PCs, but they didn't lower the published minimum spec.