IGNORED

How to open an Atari XE cartridge?

livingonwheels

That would be hot glue that has come loose.

At least for the "ribbed" style XEGS cartridge, there are tabs on the left+right of one of the halfs, that will break if pried. You may have success using a vice grip, example in this post:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/284679-repos-for-sale-what-do-you-think/?do=findComment&comment=4150380

See what the inside of the cart looks like here:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/289505-xe-super-cart-128-midi-maze-offering/?do=findComment&comment=4244634

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Gavin1968 said:

If they are like the ones I sell, they just pull apart. No screws.

https://www.vintagecomputercenter.com/product/atari-8-bit-cartridge-shells

Yeah the original Atari shells have the dumb clips, yours appear to be based on the design by Sikor and Mq which is a big improvement.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, livingonwheels said:

I have a cartridge version of Flight Simulator II that has a piece of plastic rattling around inside of it. Driving me crazy. Don't see any obvious way to open it (no screws either). Anyone know how to open these cartridges without causing damage?

Its prob just loose hot glue or a piece of plastic, if its difficult to open it and thats the only thing wrong maybe consider leaving it.

I mean carts on the shelf and plugged into our XEs do not rattle around so you only will hear this if you look for it. I imagine if a rattle bothers you a cart you can tell was opened that just doesnt look right will bother you more.

4 hours ago, livingonwheels said:

I have a cartridge version of Flight Simulator II that has a piece of plastic rattling around inside of it. Driving me crazy. Don't see any obvious way to open it (no screws either). Anyone know how to open these cartridges without causing damage?

You CAN open them, but I would say 75% of the time you will break one or more of the clips. In my experience it's better to just leave it as is. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
4 minutes ago, rcamp48 said:

I have a Basic XE cart that needs to have its chips reseated , it does not work, so I have no choice but to open it, first before I open it would an Omnimon XL Mod in a 130XE that is stock cause it to fail?

Russ

the xe isn't stock if you've changes the OS... so there could be a conflict, this is why such mods usually have a way to run the original OS

this the thread is asking how to open the XE styled grey carts... not the BASIC XE carts...

Edited by _The Doctor__