IGNORED

Unlit by New Generation

miker

Hi guys!

New Generation is proud to present new Demo for Atari Lynx Console called Unlit.

It was released at Silly Venture 2020 + 1 Summer Edition where it won Atari Lynx Demo Competition.

Authors:

Solo, Laoo - code

Tiger - Graphics

kris3d - 3d Graphics

Music - from Solo's repositiory (detailed credits inside demo).

The demo requires LynxGD to be launched from.

Enjoy!

Demozoo link: https://demozoo.org/productions/298752/

Edited by miker
update
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Yes, saw this in the Sillyventure live, this is a great demo and technical achievement (once again from NG)

To resume my thought, as someone said on a french Discord channel, design makes think about overboosted A1200/Falcon demos. Which I guess is a great compliment :D

Why does it needs GD Rom (I have seen the unlit.dat is over 4mb, so cannot fit on a real cart), mostly for streaming music or graphs ?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Rick Dangerous said:

Loaded to GD, but it hangs at this screen for some reason.  Any tips? 

Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 2.27.14 PM.png

Demo is written for new GameDrive. GameDrive classic is just too slow to stream music in real-time (there is a two-fold difference).

I distinguish them by means of timeout for operation of opening the data file. The timeout has big margin but I'm not sure how for example GD behaves on various SD cards. Maybe problem is here?

Edited by laoo

10 minutes ago, laoo said:

Demo is written for new GameDrive. GameDrive classic is just too slow to stream music in real-time (there is a two-fold difference).

I distinguish them by means of timeout for operation of opening the data file. The timeout has big margin but I'm not sure how for example GD behaves on various SD cards. Maybe problem is here?

Ah! That explains it.  I need to pickup a new gamedrive for use in my Lynx I (the original won't fit) so will circle back in a few months to check it out when i have the hardware.

Super cool looking and great tunes as far as I can see in the video above; nice work guys! 

6 hours ago, 4ever2600 said:

All links to this download broken... :(

Should work, I've just downloaded it successfully. But in case of problems Miker attached a copy.

I would like to ask for more tests on GameDrive and GameDrive Classic (LynxSD). The expected behavior is working demo on former and screen posted by Rick Dangerous on latter. I'm not sure that timeout on file opening is a good algorithm to distinguish between them. I might implement something more sofisticated should there be problems.

Exciting to see what the Lynx is capable of in capable hands and given more space than usual. Fantastic stuff!:)?? I love chip music, but it's really exciting to see the Lynx reaching Amiga level sample music and beyond here. Curious to see what the future holds for gamedrive "mega -demos/-games".

2 hours ago, laoo said:

I would like to ask for more tests on GameDrive and GameDrive Classic (LynxSD).

I'll have a try on my old GD asap and let you know if it works.

Edited by Turbo Laser Lynx
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, laoo said:

I would like to ask for more tests on GameDrive and GameDrive Classic (LynxSD). The expected behavior is working demo on former and screen posted by Rick Dangerous on latter.

I tried on my old GameDrive and I was stuck on the title screen as expected. Perhaps I need to update to the newer GameDrive at some point if cool stuff like this, that utilises it, keeps coming out.

• Like 1

For any that might be curious, it doesn't work on the AgaCart either. Does the same thing as the earlier Lynx SD carts in that you only get the title screen and nothing. As the AgaCart can only read the rom file itself, I wasn't surprised by this since the additional needed .dat file the AgaCart wouldn't have any idea what to do with.

• 3 months later...

I have an old retro hq sd cart and stops at loading screen on my lynx model 2. Could the demo be made to work on this setup with maybe a lower bit rate audio file or something. I believe this cart does have some reading and writing ability (for save games and hiscores) but have yet to see this working.