IGNORED

Dragon Quest

nanochess

Yes. Dragon Quest is the original name, but due to there already existed a pen-and-paper role playing game in the USA called DragonQuest, they had to rename the video game to Dragon Warrior on that market. Square Enix registered the Dragon Quest trademark in 2003 after Wizards of the Coast (through a series of acquisitions) had abandoned the previous trademark for the physical RPG.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, carlsson said:

Yes. Dragon Quest is the original name, but due to there already existed a pen-and-paper role playing game in the USA called DragonQuest, they had to rename the video game to Dragon Warrior on that market. Square Enix registered the Dragon Quest trademark in 2003 after Wizards of the Coast (through a series of acquisitions) had abandoned the previous trademark for the physical RPG.

wow, i've not heard of the DragonQuest RPG before.

I do own DungeonQuest board game - fun stuff

image.jpeg.65106de0b76e23c33d9001d2772ceafe.jpeg

• Like 2

Looks very good.  I believe the sprite technique was used in MSX version of Dragon Quest 2, where they overlay sprite over the background layer NPC, which can be multicolor with black background.  I do like the border extension being enable/disable to keep the resolution 20x12 when text is on screen.  I maxed out the experience point for the NES version, which is frozen at 65535.  I used to go downstairs in the 5am in the morning in the first grade playing this game, that's when my parents started hiding the controllers. 

The tile set could be improve by a little bit like the overworld trees, brick in the king's basement, using another background color for the bricks for walking, a bit more definition for the battle screen(Might be hard due to sprites needing to take up GRAM).  I may try to do Dragon Quest tileset, just curious.  

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 8/25/2021 at 7:37 AM, carlsson said:

I have never played a pen-and-paper role playing game in my life.

• 4 weeks later...