IGNORED

All In One 32X SegaCD Genesis power adapter

Hydro Thunder

For those who know tech MUCH better than I do, please let me know if this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08PCFT8SZ/?coliid=I24GJ0JYS063MS&colid=2EUW9UMCCMN0M&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

is a good idea, and/or vs this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164860922736?hash=item26627a0b70:g:kA8AAOSwQc9ad3xe

Basically two different "trio" power packs for the Sega CD/  32x / Genesis.  I don't desperately need one, but it seems nice in concept vs the triple wall wart situation.

Thanks in advance for any input!

4 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

This is what I use:

https://en.retrogamesupply.com/products/power-supply-all-in-one-for-sega-megadrive-genesis-mega-cd-32x

Since I typically play CD games on the MegaSD, I use the Sega CD power out for the Jaguar :D 

Very nice choice, thank you for the recommendation! This looks better than the options I posted and not too bad on price either.  Sold :)

• Like 1

On 8/24/2021 at 10:44 PM, Hydro Thunder said:

For those who know tech MUCH better than I do, please let me know if this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08PCFT8SZ/?coliid=I24GJ0JYS063MS&colid=2EUW9UMCCMN0M&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

is a good idea, and/or vs this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164860922736?hash=item26627a0b70:g:kA8AAOSwQc9ad3xe

Basically two different "trio" power packs for the Sega CD/  32x / Genesis.  I don't desperately need one, but it seems nice in concept vs the triple wall wart situation.

Thanks in advance for any input!

I don't really see anything wrong with either of these options either. The Amazon one at least states it is a 3A output supply so it could safely power the Genesis, 32x, and SegaCD. The other off Ebay I couldn't locate the exact specs so that might be a bit sketchier. However, the one on Amazon that also lists the SNES is cool, but I would NOT try and run 4 things from it at once. 

I personally have a modified Gamecube power brick that powers my Genesis, 32x, and SegaCD combo and have used it for years without any issues.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So I got the one from retrogamesupply, and it looks great but... I am getting no video, sound only, when everything is hooked up.  I made sure to re-hook everything up using the original Wall Wart 3x that came with the systems, and it all works fine.  So I've contacted them to see if they know what the issue could be, but I find it very odd.  Does the video portion of the 32x module require more power than their supply is generating, or something?  

3 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

That is bizarre. Which model Genesis and Sega CD?

Keep in mind that most of the sound comes from the Genesis and is just passed through the 32X, so it might be that the system is not booting up at all. Genesis games work okay, right?

Actually getting sound but no video from Genesis games as well as 32x games.  Model 2 genesis and sets cd.  Wondering if perhaps they sent me a model 1 power supply by mistake, though the receipt and order show I specified model 2.

just very odd

I'm an idiot update... Ok mostly that and partly apparently my 32X to Genesis connector port is very loose.  But after switching a huge variety of combinations I realized that indeed the all in one power cable works perfectly, it was my connection that is very wiggly (and which is of course unsettling).  But it's good.  Those three wall warts got SO HOT in just a few minutes of play, it is great to have a single power plug that runs cool, regulates, etc.  Thank you jgkspsx for the recommendation (and attempt to help my clown brain figure out the issue!)!  Once I got it all set, everything was great and I was hammering away at minions in Adventures of Batman & Robin and cruising the Acropolis in Virtua Racing Deluxe. :)

• Like 3

If I ever ever crazy enough to get into Sega, that's solid to know that plug exists as it was one reason years, even decades ago now when I was getting second hand systems/games I never bought into the Sega 32X or CD, the obscenely stupid waste of space and power draw with all those big bricks blowing up an entire power strip due to the wasted space in width.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tanooki said:

If I ever ever crazy enough to get into Sega, that's solid to know that plug exists as it was one reason years, even decades ago now when I was getting second hand systems/games I never bought into the Sega 32X or CD, the obscenely stupid waste of space and power draw with all those big bricks blowing up an entire power strip due to the wasted space in width.

Especially since back in the day there weren't nearly as many large power strips as we have now, much less rated for high levels etc.

My solution for many years was a Night Light Display Stand from a shop I used to run.  I'll post a pic sometime as I still do use it for my 2600, SNES, 7800, and now single Genesis wall warts.  Every time I either have a friend visit or even a contractor over for anything, when they see it hooked up they're super excited about it lol     

• Like 2

There was one that came out about 7 or 8 years ago called the Sega Trio. They made a power supply that connected all the different variations of Gen/SCD/32X with just the one brick. I never got one, but they were very popular among Sega collectors. There were threads for it on sega-16 and segaage, I recall that had lots of positive feedback. I want to say gametrog sold them, but I didn't see them on their site when I checked. It's worth searching around for though, because it was a professional quality product that a lot of serious Sega guys liked. I'm not so sure about those cheap Chinese deals in your amazon link. Wouldn't want you to fry one of you consoles. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, profholt82 said:

There was one that came out about 7 or 8 years ago called the Sega Trio. They made a power supply that connected all the different variations of Gen/SCD/32X with just the one brick. I never got one, but they were very popular among Sega collectors. There were threads for it on sega-16 and segaage, I recall that had lots of positive feedback. I want to say gametrog sold them, but I didn't see them on their site when I checked. It's worth searching around for though, because it was a professional quality product that a lot of serious Sega guys liked. I'm not so sure about those cheap Chinese deals in your amazon link. Wouldn't want you to fry one of you consoles. 

The website is hot garbage, but I think this place still sells them.

https://www.retrogamecave.com/

I can't remember where I had purchased mine from, but I don't remember it coming from this place (I think I would have remembered the bad HTML, but perhaps that's from a later update?).

• Like 2

The most likely highest quality one is here on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164860922736?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D188d4f0740a742f984777c87edee206f%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D373557848393%26itm%3D164860922736%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A14f97471-1c1b-11ec-8921-0e30ba780d7c|parentrq%3A109d52b417c0aaecf1576899fff141c8|iid%3A1

But it's $60 with shipping.  I agree that I don't want to risk my systems with a piece of questionable quality, but I trust Crossbow's opinion on the specs very highly and am happy with what I got for half the cost of the S3.  If you're worried though, I'd say spend the $60 and get the S3.

• Like 1

Not out to hijack things, but seeing folks mention how big ac adapters waste a lot of space on a surge protector made me want to post about a solution that I use.

61BOab40IvL._AC_SL1200_.thumb.jpg.fbba1f217efdd2a35050c1856273c91b.jpg

These short extension cables don't erase the usefulness of a good quality all-in-one modern power supply for the Sega Genesis, but it's definitely useful when one encounters the issue of an AC adapter blocking the surrounding power plugs that prevents their use. 

Another thing I've found useful with these is if most everything plugged into the power strip is permanent except for a port or two that I'll swap things in and out from as necessary, I'll use one of these to identify that plug that I repurpose from time to time while making it easier at the same time to swap cables in and out from a populated power strip.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 4

On 9/22/2021 at 12:51 PM, Hydro Thunder said:

Especially since back in the day there weren't nearly as many large power strips as we have now, much less rated for high levels etc.

Don't worry, provided you lived in North America, Sega's got you because this exists.

https://segaretro.org/Sega_Power_Strip

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/22/2021 at 6:41 PM, profholt82 said:

I bought this one - the US compatible plug model, imported from France, and I've used it for a year without any issues.  It works great and has good reviews.  It arrived pretty quick from France to the US too.

https://en.retrogamesupply.com/products/power-supply-all-in-one-for-sega-megadrive-genesis-mega-cd-32x

• Like 2

Not sure about the 32x side, but I found an article on how to perform an internal modification once that would allow you to power both the SegaCD and the Genesis from just supplying power to either the Genesis or the SegaCD. Can't recall which. But yeah essentially the power would pass through the expansion connector bus to the SegaCD to power both systems. Course, you still needed to make sure you were using a 1.5 - 2A output adapter with it, but it is possible.

I'm sure it is possible with the 32x as well, since the cheap clones Genesis to 32x video cables have the ability to pass power through to the genesis from the 32x as has been noted in these forums. So I do have to wonder if it would be possible to power all three systems using a high enough current output adapter and just be able to plug it into one of the three to power all three.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, bradhig1 said:

and I was about to ask about this.  Just ordered one from retrogamesupply.   Do I need to put those metal strips in my genesis cartridge slot again?

If you are talking about for using a 32x...no. That was to keep the FCC compliance as I recall and wasn't needed for the actual operation of the 32x and Genesis. At best, those clips help to stabilize and keep the 32x securely in place and at worst, they scratch up the plastic on the Genesis.

I've got a set of them but I have never really used to them or found a need to and I have my 32x connected to my model 1 Genny pretty much all the time.

• Like 1