IGNORED

Serial numbers

Mr.JT

I have the strange early revision Lynx 2 (the one with the lynx 1 chipset on its motherboard).  I noticed the other day that the unit doesn’t have a serial number on the back case.  There’s a smooth bit of plastic there and “serial number:”, but no serial etched and certainly no sticker has ever been there either.

Is this normal?  Wondering whether this revision was some kind of test unit or something? When I received it years ago it was boxed and unused in perfect condition - which makes it extra odd there’s not a serial number - it couldn’t have worn off

JT

Very common on the model 2 units. My guess is that because of where that sticker was placed, the players fingers were always touching that sticker and over time they just simply wore off or got enough gunk on them that they just peeled away. I rarely receive Lynx II systems with their SN# sticker fully intact. Usually nothing, or just a plain sticker strip.

19 hours ago, tripled79 said:

I wonder if the mother board would have a serial number? If so, I suppose I could have a sticker printed and put it on the back case...

Unless a second identical serial number sticker was attached to the PCB during assembly any kind of identification number printed directly on the PCB it is likely to be a manufacturing batch number/date code added by the production house for quality control (i.e. recall a batch of faulty boards) and so an unknown number of boards would have the same number on them.

So if you alone took that approach it would be OK and you may have a unique serial number, but if anyone else copies that approach then there could be multiple Lynx's out there with the same serial number.