IGNORED

Strider - just a straight 10/10 game on CPS

awbacon

Fun facts about Strider:

1. It was a joint-venture between Capcom and Motomiya Kikaku, the manga circle that also did Holy Umbrella on the Super NES/SFC.

2. U. S. Gold and Tiertex got the rights to port it to the Sega Master System, Atari ST, and Amiga. They later made their own sequel called Journey from Darkness: Strider Returns.

3. The Strider 2 arcade game ran on modified PS1 hardware known as the ZN1.

4. The original creator also made Moon Diver for X-Box Live, PSN, Steam, and the Nintendo E-Shop.

19 hours ago, SlidellMan said:

Fun facts about Strider:

1. It was a joint-venture between Capcom and Motomiya Kikaku, the manga circle that also did Holy Umbrella on the Super NES/SFC.

2. U. S. Gold and Tiertex got the rights to port it to the Sega Master System, Atari ST, and Amiga. They later made their own sequel called Journey from Darkness: Strider Returns.

3. The Strider 2 arcade game ran on modified PS1 hardware known as the ZN1.

4. The original creator also made Moon Diver for X-Box Live, PSN, Steam, and the Nintendo E-Shop.

The ZN1 platform had a ton of fun games for it. I need to get into collecting them more 

Around this era for me, Capcom was shitting gold on the arcade and home market. I was hooked on Ghouls n Ghosts the previous year, then this game cam out the following year out of nowhere.

I was glued to this game at my local Aladdin's Castle for that summer of '89, after some time, I could beat it on one coin. I think the two big negatives were games was too easy (you get the two drone helpers, you can plow through the game.) and the fact the game is way too short.

I was chomping at the bit for the sequel around the early '90s. I didn't know the lead designer had a falling out with Capcom and left. To those in the know, he had a hand in the development of Osman/Cannon Dancer... which is far superior over the Strider sequel Capcom gave us in '99.

Love some Strider. ?

I hadn't played the arcade version until much later, probably on Mame or something.    First was NES version, the genesis version, and while I loved them both, I was a bit saddened that the Gen version was so radically different

... The PS4 reboot, or whatever it was, hit all the sweet spots for me

17 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

Love some Strider. ?

I hadn't played the arcade version until much later, probably on Mame or something.    First was NES version, the genesis version, and while I loved them both, I was a bit saddened that the Gen version was so radically different

... The PS4 reboot, or whatever it was, hit all the sweet spots for me

Flip that around... the NES version was the one that went the Manga route and the Genesis version was a facsimile of the arcade

• Like 1

6 hours ago, schuwalker said:

Flip that around... the NES version was the one that went the Manga route and the Genesis version was a facsimile of the arcade

Right, what I meant though was that the first one I played was the NES version, and then played the genesis version after, and was a bit saddened that it was different from the NES version.   Looking at how it's worded, I can see how that came out a bit sideways  ?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I played the Genesis version first when it came out. One small thing I thought was neat in the arcade version is that you don't have to kill Solo (jetpack cyborg guy) on the mountain top in level 2 and if you don't he'll pester you throughout the level. I never realized (until now) that you can actually beat the level without killing him.

Edited by Ramses

13 hours ago, Ramses said:

I played the Genesis version first when it came out. One small thing I thought was neat in the arcade version is that you don't have to kill Solo (jetpack cyborg guy) on the mountain top in level 2 and if you don't he'll pester you throughout the level. I never realized (until now) that you can actually beat the level without killing him.

I never realized that! Fun detail