IGNORED

Lyra the Tenrec (Completed)

ZippyRedPlumber

My what a difference a month makes, here is hopefully the final version of Lyra.
MAJOR Changes include bringing back the platforming found on the original framework, the game is now timed
with the status bar serving as a timer getting hit by either a Sparx or Eyebot deducts time once time runs out the game
 is over. However this causes the loss of missile0, so Lyra now must collect Sapphire Wafers, Each Wafer collected gives
you 15 points. Once every six wafers are collected you are rewarded a point bonus. When in a pinch, Lyra can destroy
Evebots by curling into a ball (pressing the joystick down.) Let me know what you think of it? :)

Also, Happy 50th, Atari!

Newest rom here: 

[Original Post]

After 2 years of work, several restarts & creative changes. I present to you Lyra the Tenrec.

So far, it's a little minigame, you just run around jump & fire magic notes.

Original code by @Random Terrain

Reprogrammed code bt @ZippyRedPlumber

Questions, comments, concerns? What can be improved?

Lyra_Framework.bas.bin

OLD VERSIONs;

lyra_v3_3_Var_1_2022y_06m_01d_0855t.bas.bin

lyra_v3_3_Var_2_2022y_06m_01d_0818t.bas.bin

CHANGELOG;
2-3-2022 : Player1 follows & kills, Collect the Gems for points, Health bar & lives.
3-3-2022 : Player1 no longer deadly, goes left & right instead of following player0, deadly ball bounces around, takes
away health when hit.
3-24-2022 : Got creative with the lives/status bar, the lives being a baddie meter once all the Cyclonauts 
(the vector-inspired looking eyeballs) in the meter runs out, you get awarded a 100 point bonus. 
Gameplay remains the same, collect the wafers & destroy cyclonauts while avoiding the lethal ion drone 
(the purple ball bouncing around the playfield.)
Taking inspiration from many Magnavox Odyssey2 games you have only one life so once health runs out the game ends.
3-31-2022: same as 3-24-2022 but now missle1 follows player0 and takes away health.
05-03-2022: Status meter becomes gem/baddie meter once meter runs out the level is won. missile1 still follows and takes
player0's life, once all lives lost, game over.

lyra_RC2_2022y_06m_25d_0332t.bas.bin

Edited by ZippyRedPlumber
Updated the rom
  • Like 5

The character movement is really nice and feels natural. The sound effects of the jumping and skids are great too.

I would suggest moving the firing to pressing up, the combination of pressing down + the fire button to fire feels a little awkward.

I can envision, once there's enemies, that rolling into a ball could be used like a shield where you could protect yourself or you could turn into a ball to roll around and knock enemies out.

Looking forward to seeing this one evolve into a game!

- James

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

The character movement is really nice and feels natural. The sound effects of the jumping and skids are great too.

I would suggest moving the firing to pressing up, the combination of pressing down + the fire button to fire feels a little awkward.

I can envision, once there's enemies, that rolling into a ball could be used like a shield where you could protect yourself or you could turn into a ball to roll around and knock enemies out.

Looking forward to seeing this one evolve into a game!

- James

A revision with no shooting is in the works, the game should play like Joust meets Mario Bros.

Really glad to hear it, means a lot. I'm looking forward for it to be featured in a future stream. :)

• Like 1

I love the movement and sound effects - especially the shot fired and screeching. I was using my computer to play but I would imagine with a joystick the firing could be a bit awkward.  

I was playing in Javatari but on occasion while moving left or right it seemed to get stuck moving in a particular direction and the character would keep moving even without any button presses.  Not sure if this was a glitch or if I accidentally did something accidentally on my computer. 

I will say that it would be interesting to see where you go with this. 

• Like 1

On 8/31/2021 at 4:15 PM, KevKelley said:

I love the movement and sound effects - especially the shot fired and screeching. I was using my computer to play but I would imagine with a joystick the firing could be a bit awkward.  

I was playing in Javatari but on occasion while moving left or right it seemed to get stuck moving in a particular direction and the character would keep moving even without any button presses.  Not sure if this was a glitch or if I accidentally did something accidentally on my computer. 

I will say that it would be interesting to see where you go with this. 

I would like some assistance I want to make enemies move left & right on the playfield. Below is a diagram of what I want to do

movement.png

On 9/1/2021 at 7:56 PM, ZippyRedPlumber said:

I would like some assistance I want to make enemies move left & right on the playfield. Below is a diagram of what I want to do

Do you mean enemies just bouncing back and forth, or moving to the edge, dropping down and then moving to the other edge, etc?

It seems like it would just be a matter of using a variable for the enemy direction and determining where the drop down point is. Something like:

Somewhere before your game loop to initialize the enemy position. Use whatever variable you have available.

x = 1

player1x = 15

player1y = 25

In the loop

player1x = player1x + x

if player1x = 140 && player1y = 25 then player1y = 50 : x = -1

if player1x = 15 && player1y = 50 then player1y = 75 : x = 1

if player1x = 140 && player1y = 75 then player1y = 25

You'll have to experiment a little to figure out what the best x and y values are, I just picked some numbers.

• Like 1

Thanks @KaeruYojimbo I'll use it for the bosses.

What I plan is enemies the home in on or follow the player, can anyone help proofread this code? VbB can be very finicky...

;***************************************************************
   ;
   ;  Cyclonauts
   ;
   ;```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
   :
     rem  Declare Variables
     rem   The V and W variables will be the X and Y locations for the enemy sprite

v=130 :rem enemy X position
     w=20  :rem enemy Y position

t=0   :rem I'm including a timer to slow down the movement of the enemy sprite

main

rem enemy sprite:

player0:
 %00111100
 %01111110
 %11100111
 %11010011
 %00010000
 %11100111
 %01111110
 %00111100
end

rem  Put the enemy sprite on the screen at X position 130.  Valid Range is 1 to 159

player0x=v

rem  Put the enemy sprite on the screen at Y position 20.  Valid Range is 1 to ~90

player0y=w

rem  this command instructs the program to write data to the TV screen.

drawscreen

rem Next, we want to make the enemy sprite follow the player sprite.

rem First, I'm going to use the T variable as a timer and make it count to 10 and then start over

t=t+1
 if t>10 then t=1

rem Next, I'm going to have the routine that moves the enemy be skipped if t is less than 7.
     rem The number can be reduced to speed up enemy movement.

if t<7 then goto skipmovement

if v < x then v=v+1
 if v > x then v=v-1
 if w < y then w=w+1
 if w > y then w=w-1

skipmovement

goto main

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, ZippyRedPlumber said:

UPDATE: The latest build is sorta done. I've become a little paranoid about VbB, every time I do a small change it acts up! I need people to test my code.

Feel free to fix any mistakes I made.

code.txt 15.61 kB · 2 downloads

At first look you need to fix line 839 be using a rem statement: rem (t,u & z are remaining variables)

Might be good to include your "titlescreen/asm/titlescreen.asm" or someone will have to remove anything related to your titlescreen that to test your code.

Same for secondscore.asm...would need to be removed or included to run code.

I could be wrong but I think you've got some issues with variables (lack of) going on, too. ?

Edited by rsiddall
  • Like 1

Jesus Christ, variables frustrate me so much, gonna take a small break on this & focus on the 7800 version. I will pick it back up eventually (never say never I always say.)

So, here's a sampler of what I made

Fancy Title screen Tempo_Title.bas.bin

A slightly tweaked version of the minigame (no enemies still :( )Lyra_V2.bas.bin

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ZippyRedPlumber said:

Jesus Christ, variables frustrate me so much, gonna take a small break on this & focus on the 7800 version. I will pick it back up eventually (never say never I always say.)

So, here's a sampler of what I made

Fancy Title screen Tempo_Title.bas.bin

A slightly tweaked version of the minigame (no enemies still :( )Lyra_V2.bas.bin

Titlescreen looks great, btw!! 

I'm not sure if this is what you're trying to achieve with the code you attached but this will run at least. If you add the titlescreen and score info back, it should compile.

code.bas

Edited by rsiddall
  • Like 1

On 9/25/2021 at 9:41 AM, rsiddall said:

Titlescreen looks great, btw!! 

I'm not sure if this is what you're trying to achieve with the code you attached but this will run at least. If you add the titlescreen and score info back, it should compile.

code.bas 15.18 kB · 1 download

It says Errors have encountered during assembly & it couldn't recompile...

20 hours ago, ZippyRedPlumber said:

It says Errors have encountered during assembly & it couldn't recompile...

Hmmm...worked for me. Here is the file with titlescreen and sound kernel info added back in.

I've included a .bin so you can see it compiles. Of course, without your titlescreen.asm file, you'll have to hit the fire button to get past the blank screen.

You've got enemy variable info listed but no enemy sprite data...so the only thing you'll see is your hedgehog and some platforms to jump around on.

EDIT: You did have Sprite data...apologies. I guess the enemy pops in at some point. I must have skimmed over it when scrolling through.

code.txt code.bas code.bin

Edited by rsiddall
  • Like 1

On 9/27/2021 at 10:32 AM, rsiddall said:

Hmmm...worked for me. Here is the file with titlescreen and sound kernel info added back in.

I've included a .bin so you can see it compiles. Of course, without your titlescreen.asm file, you'll have to hit the fire button to get past the blank screen.

You've got enemy variable info listed but no enemy sprite data...so the only thing you'll see is your hedgehog and some platforms to jump around on.

code.txt 15.71 kB · 1 download code.bas 15.71 kB · 1 download code.bin 8 kB · 1 download

It actually did compile when I used @mksmith's Atari Dev Studio.

Thank you Rsiddall for being a life saver ?

I felt like I alienated a lot of people about Visual Batari Basic. I feel real bad. :'(
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ZippyRedPlumber said:

It actually did compile when I used @mksmith's Atari Dev Studio, VbB is a piece of crap (no offence.)

It's not, though. It's just that it's no longer maintained, so it's harder to help when people have issues with it. Also harder for non-Windows people like myself. 

• Like 3

Just now, Karl G said:

It's not, though. It's just that it's no longer maintained, so it's harder to help when people have issues with it. Also harder for non-Windows people like myself. 

Agree. I still use VbB (mostly for sprites and music)...but prefer to run Dev Studio. Seems more "intuitive" in my opinion. No hate for VbB...it's what I initially used to get started. ❤️

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rsiddall said:

Agree. I still use VbB (mostly for sprites and music)...but prefer to run Dev Studio. Seems more "intuitive" in my opinion. No hate for VbB...it's what I initially used to get started. ❤️

Yeah I use both myself, sorry if I sounded harsh on VbB. It's trusty, but a little bit rusty. XD

Compiled the code with the title, crashes on both apps. But I really love that titlescreen, is there a way to optimize it so the code can work?

• 4 weeks later...

After some time away & doing some thinking, I have put the 2600 version on hold for now. Clearly I went with style but not substance, once the 7800 version is done, maybe i'll pick it back up. So enjoy it as is for now, a dumb little demo made for fun.

Special thanks to @rsiddall for additional assistance.

code.bas.bin

• 2 weeks later...

Okay I've reworked the game back to my original vision which was "Jetpac meets Joust." This would also help stay consistent with the corresponding 7800 version also in development.

This build using @batari's inertia code has player0, player1 and scoreboard

Moving Left/Right Makes Lyra move

Pressing Fire activates her jet boots making her fly.

I really need some help with collisions. When Lyra hops on top of an enemy (the blue thing) the enemy would get destroyed & the player earns a score. But if Lyra touches the enemy anywhere else, she loses a life.

lyras_jet_joust.bas.bin

• Like 1

On 10/31/2021 at 12:13 PM, ZippyRedPlumber said:

I really need some help with collisions. When Lyra hops on top of an enemy (the blue thing) the enemy would get destroyed & the player earns a score. But if Lyra touches the enemy anywhere else, she loses a life.

You could try checking for a collision and when one happens compare the y values for player0 and player1. If player0 is high enough that it's touching the top of player1, the enemy gets destroyed, otherwise the player loses a life.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey, I just thought I'd give a little update on the game.

Inspired by this 

I've decided to do enemy movement like in @ORART's code

if n=1 then player0x=player0x-1
 if n=1 && player0x=-16 then player0x=160 : player0y = (rand&30)+20 ;( 20 - 50 )
 if n=1 then player0x=player0x+1
 if n=1 && player0x>160 then player0x=0 : player0y = (rand&30)-20 ;( 20 + 50 )

Questions, comments? Is this correct? Let me know if I'm doing something wrong.

• 1 month later...

Well, the newest WIP is here & fully playable!

A MASSIVE thanks goes to @Random Terrain for fine-tuning my original code & helping me out via PMs.

In this build Lyra collects the "Crystal Wafers" (the red squares) while avoiding the nefarious Cyclonauts, a race
of alien robots from outer space that look like floating eyeballs.

While it feels finished, the game is FAR from being completed.

As for the "Jetpac" game, I still want to do it as I really like the idea of a platformer with anti-gravity being the primary gimmick.

Here's what I need to do next

• - Have music play on the titlescreen using the Slocum player as found in 1942

Lyra_V1_WIP.bin

• Like 5

The collision sound when the player touches the Cyclonaut is amazing, it reminds me of something heavy being dropped in a large room with echoes and reverberation.   Although some of the reverberation might be my headphones. :)  The jumping physics are pretty amazing too.

• Like 1