On 8/28/2021 at 3:49 PM, electricmastro said:

Tempest:

Tempest (1981)

Tempest 2000 (1994)

Tempest X3 (1996)

Tempest 3000 (2000)

Tempest 4000 (2018)

Don't forget TxK for the Vita!

Let's add Zork to this mix, as it appeared in some form or another, on a variety of platforms, from 1977 to 2010, and will probably pop up again in the future.

4 minutes ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Let's add Zork to this mix, as it appeared in some form or another, on a variety of platforms, from 1977 to 2010, and will probably pop up again in the future.

My understanding was that Zork has stayed dormant in terms of new games since the 90s, with 1997's Zork Grand Inquisitor being the latest new one, and that the rest beyond that are just regular ports.

38 minutes ago, electricmastro said:

My understanding was that Zork has stayed dormant in terms of new games since the 90s, with 1997's Zork Grand Inquisitor being the latest new one, and that the rest beyond that are just regular ports.

The full game appeared as an Easter Egg in Call of Duty in 2010.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, electricmastro said:

There were expansions being released for it as late as 2015, at least some of which are physical releases. There was also a remake of Ultima IV in 2013.

Expansions aren't new games though.

And the remake you are referring to is a free fanstyle ios "remake" that was Ultima in name only with design based on the C64 version of Ultima IV. But taking place 21 years later and being in an alternate timeline hence why it's also called a reboot.

But it was actually made to go after fan remakes and has very little ties to Ultima proper, especially since several things were still tied to Garriott that would make it Ultima proper. 

EA could actually try a new Ultima series from scratch or work with Garriott for an actual new entry, but I doubt either will happen unfortunately, especially the last one.

On 8/27/2021 at 7:13 PM, Mikebloke said:

There is a basic but quite filled list on Wikipedia for anyone interested, but I think there should be some accountability for number of games released and actual sales as well as when the first and last of a series is.

Yep, I’m sure many would hesitate to say Wasteland is long-running like Final Fantasy or Mega Man for example.

995162-AB-D41-D-483-B-AE03-6-A8-F75-BC24

Edited by electricmastro

You know, I just had to do a search with my browser on page 1 of this thread... shockingly... no discussion to add DIABLO to the list.  Originally released in 1996/1997.  Not long after it got the Hellfire expansion and also in some ways a very superior PS1 release.  Not too long after Diablo II the almighty high point of the franchise from 2000 that now is being resurrected this month with a modern visual/audio engine...yum.  Diablo III also was a thing, good one, many releases and updates to that as well in between.

• Like 3

What would make this more interesting is posting the extremes... longest time gap overall, etc.

I can't figure out quite how to describe it, but I would be interested in trying to figure out which series meets both of the following criteria:

• Long string of regular entries
  • Long period of dormancy

In other words -- what is/was the most THRIVING series to go a significant portion of time?

33 minutes ago, DavidD said:

What would make this more interesting is posting the extremes... longest time gap overall, etc.

I can't figure out quite how to describe it, but I would be interested in trying to figure out which series meets both of the following criteria:

• Long string of regular entries
  • Long period of dormancy

In other words -- what is/was the most THRIVING series to go a significant portion of time?

Bomberman might be the prime example of that. Seriously, the little guy was probably headlining more games in the 1990s than Mario was:

5-A19144-A-70-CF-4-B7-D-ABE1-8875-A0-A6-

Edited by electricmastro
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, electricmastro said:

Bomberman might be the prime example of that. Seriously, the little guy was probably headlining more games in the 1990s than Mario was:

5-A19144-A-70-CF-4-B7-D-ABE1-8875-A0-A6-

That's a good 7 year gap...

Mega Man 8 to Mega Man 9 was 12 years... but there were OTHER Mega Man games in between.

Oh, I know -- get a list of something like the top 50 game series with the most entries, and see which one has the biggest gap!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, DavidD said:

That's a good 7 year gap...

Mega Man 8 to Mega Man 9 was 12 years... but there were OTHER Mega Man games in between.

Oh, I know -- get a list of something like the top 50 game series with the most entries, and see which one has the biggest gap!

According to https://www.giantbomb.com/franchises/?franchise_filter[letter]=&franchise_filter[sortBy]=mostGames&___franchise_filter[games]= , that would include:

Disney

Mario

Marvel

Nickelodeon

Gundam

Star Wars

Pokemon

Final Fantasy

DC

Sonic the Hedgehog

Dragon Ball

Looney Tunes

Dungeons & Dragons

Bomberman

Mega Man

Star Trek

MLB

LEGO

NHL

Sim

NBA

Super Robot Wars

Megami Tensei

WWE

Pac-Man

Naruto

Street Fighter

Cartoon Network

DreamWorks

Pixar

Tetris

Tom Clancy

Yu-Gi-Oh!

FIFA

Edited by electricmastro

3 hours ago, electricmastro said:

Well I suppose it would have to be Alex Kidd. He was thriving as Sega's mascot with six games in less than five years and then effectively got abandoned when they started focusing more on Sonic.

Screen-Shot-2021-09-10-at-8-44-31-PM.png

31 years seems like it might be a pretty good record...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Frogger's many installments:

Frogger (1981)

Frogger II: Threeedeep! (1984)

Frogger '93 (1993)

Frogger (1997)

Frogger 2: Swampy's Revenge (2000)

Frogger: The Great Quest (2001)

Frogger's Adventures: Temple of the Frog (2001)

Frogger's Adventures 2: The Lost Wand (2002)

Frogger Beyond (2002)

Frogger's Journey: The Forgotten Relic (2003)

Frogger's Adventures: The Rescue (2003)

Frogger: Helmet Chaos (2005)

Frogger: Ancient Shadow (2005)

My Frogger: Toy Trials (2006)

Frogger 2 (2008)

Frogger Returns (2009)

Frogger 3D (2011)

Frogger in Toy Town (2019)

• Like 2

On 9/25/2021 at 1:17 PM, electricmastro said:

Just realized these franchises turned 40 years old this year.

Unknown-1.jpg

In all fairness, "Castle Wolfenstein" hasn't had a sequel/remake since the early 1980s, right?  Wolfenstein 3D really isn't a sequel -- I mean, yes, they paid for the name rights, but...

Wizardry had sequels, as did Frogger.  Donkey Kong is an interesting case as it's the first Mario game and thus the first game of the biggest series in video games.

• Like 2