IGNORED

Oldest game franchises that still release new games

lol oh yeah.  if you walk around very early in the morning you can see people sleeping in the street dining huts  and the ones in lower manhattan people shooting up before someone comes along and hoses it all down. the thought of eating in those after what i've seen over the last year and a half is kinda gross.  i've also seen way too many rat pancakes inside of them.  how does a rat pancake happen inside of a dining hut?!

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, electricmastro said:

With the newest Elevator Action release, these might now be the consistently longest-running gaming franchises.

Screen-Shot-2021-10-06-at-6-38-24-PM.png

I look forward to the day that Thunder Force makes it on that list if Sega ever makes or lets someone make the Thunder Force VII that was heavily hinted at in the end of Thunder Force VI now that Sega owns the IP. If they do, hopefully it is not extremely disappointing like Thunder Force VI was/is.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, electricmastro said:

With the newest Elevator Action release, these might now be the consistently longest-running gaming franchises.

I bought a little Oregon Trail handheld at Target a few years ago. It's really cool. Based on the mid-80s version of the game I think. I ended up buying some more for friends and family birthdays and such that year, and they all loved them as well. Not sure if they still make them, but if they do, I recommend them to the fellow 80s kids who grew up playing the game on the classroom PC during indoor recess. Haha

Edit: it's this one, found an image in a search

2018-02-27_20.57.431.jpg

Edited by profholt82
  • Like 3

On 10/6/2021 at 6:58 PM, electricmastro said:

Kind of surprised to see Mario there in #3, but not Donkey Kong on the list either. They are their own franchises.  DK broke off into sequels, even weird game & watches, then into the country line of games that and the latest is DK Tropical Freeze on Switch May 4, 2018 (DK started July 1981) which puts it at 37 years and given the sales there will be more.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, profholt82 said:

I bought a little Oregon Trail handheld at Target a few years ago. It's really cool. Based on the mid-80s version of the game I think. I ended up buying some more for friends and family birthdays and such that year, and they all loved them as well. Not sure if they still make them, but if they do, I recommend them to the fellow 80s kids who grew up playing the game on the classroom PC during indoor recess. Haha

2018-02-27_20.57.431.jpg

I have that one and a Carmen Sandiego one in my office. Great little items.

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Kind of surprised to see Mario there in #3, but not Donkey Kong on the list either. They are their own franchises.  DK broke off into sequels, even weird game & watches, then into the country line of games that and the latest is DK Tropical Freeze on Switch May 4, 2018 (DK started July 1981) which puts it at 37 years and given the sales there will be more.

Ah, it's only counted up to newest installment/non-port Tropical Freeze in 2014.

Screen-Shot-2021-10-07-at-9-45-42-PM.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tanooki said:

The problem here is in defining when a series starts.  I'd argue that the first "Donkey Kong" game wasn't Donkey Kong, but Donkey Kong Jr. -- and then it went without a sequel for years and yearsThe titles have changed over time, but you can make a clear gameplay and series progression from Donkey Kong to Mario Bros. to Super Mario Bros. and beyond... and all of those game feature the same main character, Mario.

Granted, if you WERE to make that case, I suppose it would be fair to claim that DK Jr. was the start of the "Donkey Kong (Country)" series -- but, really, the DKC games are an entirely new series from the 90s that just happen to reuse earlier game characters.

• Like 1

Major League Baseball (1980-2021):

Unknown-1.jpg

National Hockey League (1980-2021):

Unknown-1.jpg

Alien (1982-2021):

Unknown-1.jpg

Dungeons & Dragons (1982-2021):

Unknown-1.jpg

Spider-Man (1982-2020):

Unknown.jpg

Star Wars (1982-2021):

Unknown.jpg

Looney Tunes (1983-2021):

Unknown.jpg

Transformers (1985-2020):

Unknown-1.jpg

Batman (1986-2019):

Unknown.jpg

Dragon Ball (1986-2020):

Unknown.jpg

Edited by electricmastro
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
On 10/7/2021 at 9:16 AM, profholt82 said:

2018-02-27_20.57.431.jpg

I think I still see them at Target.  They made another PC game as a handheld, maybe it was Tetris, but I thought it was something else.   Personally if they ever made a Pirate's Gold I would be all over that.  Anyway, bought one, played it through, won... I play it pretty straight and safe so generally always win.  Then gave to a friend's kid who loved it. 

• Like 1

A personal favorite of mine, it's...

Sam and Max: Freelance Police!

1878558087_ScreenShot2022-06-13at10_42_55PM.thumb.png.ad716a5019362f6cea1bc42340662a66.png

Sam & Max Save the World (2006–07), Sam & Max Beyond Time and Space (2007–08), Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse (2010), Poker Night at the Inventory (2010), Poker Night 2 (2013), Sam & Max Save the World (2020), Sam & Max Beyond Time and Space (2021),

Sam & Max: This Time It's Virtual (2021),

1143990595_ScreenShot2022-06-13at10_57_35PM.thumb.png.68a565380c8253bca2f538ff3c9663a4.png

Coming soon...

Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse (TBA)

23 hours ago, doctorclu said:

I think I still see them at Target.  They made another PC game as a handheld, maybe it was Tetris, but I thought it was something else.   Personally if they ever made a Pirate's Gold I would be all over that.  Anyway, bought one, played it through, won... I play it pretty straight and safe so generally always win.  Then gave to a friend's kid who loved it. 

They did Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego and it plays surprisingly well, also even has a save game feature which is kind of required with a game like that as cases keep piling up to do.

• Like 1