electricmastro

Oldest game franchises that still release new games

On 10/5/2021 at 4:33 PM, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

oh that's beautiful.  i wish all the outdoor dining huts in nyc looked like that.  hmm..  this just gave me an idea

There's a crappy bar on 3rd and 25th that does the neon purple, but you might get salmonella from sitting down.

lol oh yeah.  if you walk around very early in the morning you can see people sleeping in the street dining huts  and the ones in lower manhattan people shooting up before someone comes along and hoses it all down. the thought of eating in those after what i've seen over the last year and a half is kinda gross.  i've also seen way too many rat pancakes inside of them.  how does a rat pancake happen inside of a dining hut?!

14 hours ago, electricmastro said:

With the newest Elevator Action release, these might now be the consistently longest-running gaming franchises.

Screen-Shot-2021-10-06-at-6-38-24-PM.png

I look forward to the day that Thunder Force makes it on that list if Sega ever makes or lets someone make the Thunder Force VII that was heavily hinted at in the end of Thunder Force VI now that Sega owns the IP. If they do, hopefully it is not extremely disappointing like Thunder Force VI was/is.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, electricmastro said:

With the newest Elevator Action release, these might now be the consistently longest-running gaming franchises.

I bought a little Oregon Trail handheld at Target a few years ago. It's really cool. Based on the mid-80s version of the game I think. I ended up buying some more for friends and family birthdays and such that year, and they all loved them as well. Not sure if they still make them, but if they do, I recommend them to the fellow 80s kids who grew up playing the game on the classroom PC during indoor recess. Haha

Edit: it's this one, found an image in a search

2018-02-27_20.57.431.jpg

Edited by profholt82
  • Like 2

On 10/6/2021 at 6:58 PM, electricmastro said:

Kind of surprised to see Mario there in #3, but not Donkey Kong on the list either. They are their own franchises.  DK broke off into sequels, even weird game & watches, then into the country line of games that and the latest is DK Tropical Freeze on Switch May 4, 2018 (DK started July 1981) which puts it at 37 years and given the sales there will be more.

9 hours ago, profholt82 said:

I bought a little Oregon Trail handheld at Target a few years ago. It's really cool. Based on the mid-80s version of the game I think. I ended up buying some more for friends and family birthdays and such that year, and they all loved them as well. Not sure if they still make them, but if they do, I recommend them to the fellow 80s kids who grew up playing the game on the classroom PC during indoor recess. Haha

Edit: it's this one, found an image in a search

2018-02-27_20.57.431.jpg

I have that one and a Carmen Sandiego one in my office. Great little items.

34 minutes ago, jerseystyle said:

I have that one and a Carmen Sandiego one in my office. Great little items.

Ooh, I love Carmen Sandiego. I didn't know about that one. I still play the Master System game on occasion. 

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Kind of surprised to see Mario there in #3, but not Donkey Kong on the list either. They are their own franchises.  DK broke off into sequels, even weird game & watches, then into the country line of games that and the latest is DK Tropical Freeze on Switch May 4, 2018 (DK started July 1981) which puts it at 37 years and given the sales there will be more.

Ah, it's only counted up to newest installment/non-port Tropical Freeze in 2014.

Screen-Shot-2021-10-07-at-9-45-42-PM.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tanooki said:

The problem here is in defining when a series starts.  I'd argue that the first "Donkey Kong" game wasn't Donkey Kong, but Donkey Kong Jr. -- and then it went without a sequel for years and yearsThe titles have changed over time, but you can make a clear gameplay and series progression from Donkey Kong to Mario Bros. to Super Mario Bros. and beyond... and all of those game feature the same main character, Mario.

Granted, if you WERE to make that case, I suppose it would be fair to claim that DK Jr. was the start of the "Donkey Kong (Country)" series -- but, really, the DKC games are an entirely new series from the 90s that just happen to reuse earlier game characters.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, high voltage said:

Barbie is still going strong?

Like for example "Divorce Barbie": Included in the set is Ken's car, Ken's house and Ken's boat. :)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

My daughters love the Genesis Barbie game. I recently picked up the NES one at a local shop, and they didn't dig it at all. I tried to play it a little to help them out, and what a crap show that one is. Yeesh. 

• Like 1

Major League Baseball (1980-2021):

Unknown-1.jpg

National Hockey League (1980-2021):

Unknown-1.jpg

Alien (1982-2021):

Unknown-1.jpg

Dungeons & Dragons (1982-2021):

Unknown-1.jpg

Spider-Man (1982-2020):

Unknown.jpg

Star Wars (1982-2021):

Unknown.jpg

Looney Tunes (1983-2021):

Unknown.jpg

Transformers (1985-2020):

Unknown-1.jpg

Batman (1986-2019):

Unknown.jpg

Dragon Ball (1986-2020):

Unknown.jpg

Edited by electricmastro
  • Like 1

On 10/5/2021 at 4:33 PM, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

oh that's beautiful.  i wish all the outdoor dining huts in nyc looked like that.  hmm..  this just gave me an idea

Interesting gameplay too: