IGNORED

Would the Acorn Archimedes family have done well in the US by competing with the Amiga as a media and gaming computer?

I can only go off of what my experiences were at the time.  I didn't get much into games but I was more into 3D rendering (Sculpt 4D and Aladdin 4D).  Except a game or two of Populous, Lemmings, and Stunt Car Racer (which was a 3D game). I upgraded my A1200 to a 68030 for the faster rendering, not for the games, although it did help there too.  I didn't know or hear anything about the Archimedes (living in the US that is, Reno, NV). :)

Edited by Grimm1966

1 hour ago, leech said:

To be fair, the 68000 was a 16/32 bit processor, which is why the ST was named the ST (Sixteen / Thirtytwo). 

Back in the 80s, it wasn't uncommon to see magazine articles refer to ST/Amiga as "32-bit computers",  because the 8088 processor used in most 1980s PCs was an 8/16-bit hybrid, and the media referred to those as 16-bit, so following the same logic it was natural to call 68000 32-bit.   And the same kind of bit inflation allowed Atari to call the Jaguar "64-bit" with a straight face.     

I suppose when full 32-bit variants of 680x0 showed up, then the original 68000 had to be put firmly in the 16-bit column...

Edited by zzip
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, zzip said:

Back in the 80s, it wasn't uncommon to see magazine articles refer to ST/Amiga as "32-bit computers",  because the 8088 processor used in most 1980s PCs was an 8/16-bit hybrid, and the media referred to those as 16-bit, so following the same logic it was natural to call 68000 32-bit.   And the same kind of bit inflation allowed Atari to call the Jaguar "64-bit" with a straight face.     

I suppose when full 32-bit variants of 680x0 showed up, then the original 68000 had to be put firmly in the 16-bit column...

Ha, yeah just in time for the 'bit wars'