IGNORED

Mattel Intellivision fans, do you care what happens to the Amico?

Rev

3 minutes ago, Zendocon said:

I do, if only because of the Intellivision name.  What I don't want is another embarrassment like that Plug & Play device.

Do you mean Flashback?   (Which I thought was a decent console)

Or those terrible controller plug & plays. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cmadruga said:

I did pre-order it, but am getting tired of the circus around it and all delays.

I still care, but my expectations are low. 
The platform does not occupy the same mental space as the classic one, which I am much more interested in.

Well said!   

• Like 3

At first when the announcement was made at Portland Retro Expo I was super stoked. Classic simple gameplay updated with state of the art 2D chip. Right in my wheelhouse. Pre ordered 2, as brother was the bigger INTV fan and had planned to gift him one.

Fast forward to present and pre orders canceled. Enthusiasm has not only waned, but been snuffed out. Price change, lack of development of OG Mattel games like Dracula, CEO behavior and multiple delays.

Could care less now. Wish them luck, they are gonna need it. 

Edited by MarioMan88
  • Like 4

I'd say pretty interested (FE). The delays are disappointing, but not a deal breaker. I think the ideals are laudable, but mostly I want to play games with my wife that are entertaining without copious amounts of skull-sweat (also, she genuinely hates the xbox controller). 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cmadruga said:

I did pre-order it, but am getting tired of the circus around it and all delays.

I still care, but my expectations are low. 
The platform does not occupy the same mental space as the classic one, which I am much more interested in.

100%. I feel exactly the same way. Still have the Founders Edition on order. I’m tired of the stupid drama and delays, but hanging in there for now. Definitely feeling less enthusiastic than when it was first announced. 

Edited by IntyFanMatt
  • Like 4

I'd like it to succeed, I wish them well and it's nice to see the brand return.  I haven't preordered and I'm unlikely to buy one although I do follow what's happening.  It's not a hard 'no' by any means.  As much as I want to play Cloudy Mountain and the new Night Stalker, it's hard to justify $300 for a couple games when honestly, I'd likely be just as happy playing the originals I already have.  I haven't bought any console since the Wii60.

• Like 6

I preordered the founders edition, but my optimism is waning. I wanted to play upgraded versions of the games I loved back in the day, and still play now. But what I see is games like Night Stalker and Cloudy Mountain upgraded for multiplayer (I get it, that's the point) and loaded up with all these flashy explosions and visual overload and I think "they look like phone games", and THAT'S NOT WHAT I WANT. Take the thing that made these games great, the playability, and bring new things into the mix. Bring the graphics up to date, but not everything has to be at light speed with everything spraying all over the screen. It's like looking into a strobe light. I still have my hopes up, but it's getting harder to do so. I'll wait and see what the system finally delivers.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, cjherr said:

I preordered the founders edition, but my optimism is waning. I wanted to play upgraded versions of the games I loved back in the day, and still play now. But what I see is games like Night Stalker and Cloudy Mountain upgraded for multiplayer (I get it, that's the point) and loaded up with all these flashy explosions and visual overload and I think "they look like phone games", and THAT'S NOT WHAT I WANT. Take the thing that made these games great, the playability, and bring new things into the mix. Bring the graphics up to date, but not everything has to be at light speed with everything spraying all over the screen. It's like looking into a strobe light. I still have my hopes up, but it's getting harder to do so. I'll wait and see what the system finally delivers.

same - i've got a FE on preorder. At this point I just think of it as a kickstarter that i am hoping for something come of it.

I also agree about your flashy game assessment.  Many of these are turning into large format phone games and not really what I was hoping for.

I hope not, but it seems my game purchases will be sparse.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Zendocon said:

The plug & play controller thing, of course.  The Flashback console was decent.

Those Direct-to-TV controller games were cheap clone conversions of intellivision games to NES hardware.  They were meant to be direct conversions.  The Amico games are new games, inspired by the old gameplay.  It will be interesting to see how close or different the Amico games are to the Intellivision originals.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

Amico is not and will never be an Intellivision and Tommy will never have anything to do with the original Intellivision for me. So no I don’t really give a crap what happens with the Amico. I do wish they would keep both devices separate though, especially here on AtariAge or AmicoAge should I say :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, cjherr said:

...what I see is games like Night Stalker and Cloudy Mountain upgraded for multiplayer (I get it, that's the point) and loaded up with all these flashy explosions and visual overload and I think "they look like phone games", and THAT'S NOT WHAT I WANT. Take the thing that made these games great, the playability, and bring new things into the mix. Bring the graphics up to date, but not everything has to be at light speed with everything spraying all over the screen. It's like looking into a strobe light. I still have my hopes up, but it's getting harder to do so. I'll wait and see what the system finally delivers.

Absolutely, 100% for me too.

• Like 2

Frankly, who are all these people that make up the circus, both pro and con? Where did they come from?

We are the ones sticking with it for decades, creating web sites since the old modem age, reverse engineering old stuff, writing stuff, making and playing games... and will continue to do so. 

Will the Amico succeed? I hope it does, but if it doesn't... life will go on.

We already got a good thing going here on the classic scene, a new golden age. Anyone paying attention knows that.

Edited by cmadruga
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, cmadruga said:

Frankly, who are all these people that make up the circus, both pro and con? Where did they come from?

We are the ones sticking with it for decades, creating web sites since the old modem age, reverse engineering old stuff, writing stuff, making and playing games... and will continue to do so. 

Will the Amico succeed? I hope it does, but if it doesn't... life will go on.

We already got a good thing going here on the classic scene, a new golden age. Anyone paying attention knows that.

You are a god among mortals…..

• Haha 1

Yeah, my excitement has iced over somewhat as well. 

The non blocky style GFX is not among my favorite style. I do like the overall look of Amico Night Stalker and Cloudy Mountain, probably because those look more retro than most.   

Blocky for the win!

7FB78455-41E3-42C1-A4B4-CE35510A456E.jpeg

• Like 10

I have preordered 3 Amicos and hope the system does have excellent success. 

I will most likely collect heavily with the boxed material as well.

Notice that I called it material, because we are not sure what will be in the boxes yet.

But I also agree with what Cmadruga said,if it doesnt succeed life will go on.

And I will keep playing games on,and collecting new homebrew games for my beloved Intellivision! ?

• Like 5