IGNORED

Mattel Intellivision fans, do you care what happens to the Amico?

Rev

4 minutes ago, Rev said:

Prices for some Mattel Intellivision are already high since last year or so.    How much higher will they go!

I dont think prices will go up very much,because most of of the really rare or valuable games have been remade or reissued.

People can choose to get a less expensive version of most games, or the Roms which are free or available at low prices.

1 hour ago, wolfy62 said:

I dont think prices will go up very much,because most of of the really rare or valuable games have been remade or reissued.

People can choose to get a less expensive version of most games, or the Roms which are free or available at low prices.

I wish it was true, but, honestly, I don’t think so…

There are probably more collectors (also thanks to Amico) and they want original stuff…

Like me…?

I like and buy repros too, but I still badly want the originals (possibly sealed MINT!?).

When the last generation that grew up with Intellivision (hence born in the late seventies at the latest) will be gone, around 2050-2060, then yes, prices will drop down vertically in my mind.

But may be this is not the right topic where to discuss about this… Sorry @Rev!

• Thanks 1

Ok,back to the Amico then!

I went about 2 hours from my house yesterday to see a demonstration of and play the Amico.

A lot still needs to completed,but I can say the controller is awesome and Shark!Shark! Is a very fun and well made game. Being the little fish is great,the movements are very fluid and accurate. 

I personally believe the Amico is going to be a hit and is on the right track!

• Like 7

On 9/6/2021 at 11:05 PM, JasonlikesINTV said:

I've been out of the loop.  Is there a new price point?  The Founder's Edition was $299.  The regular consoles were supposed to be around $259 to $279.  Has this changed?

Regular Black and White are $249, Woodgrain $279, Purple $299, Red TBD.

• Thanks 1

This is a good academic question, but the Amico doesn't seem to be geared towards the classic market. The people that will truly move unit volume have never heard of the Intellivision. Ever. Even if everyone one of us here buys 2 consoles, that will be maybe 1,000 consoles. Intellivision Inc needs to 1-2 millions of these to be successful. 

So I'm getting a Founders Edition but don't expect to play classic Thunder Castle on it, I expect to play new stuff on it with vaccinated visitors at the home like cornhole or other stuff like Wii Sports-ish games. When the day comes that I can play classicArmor Battle with wireless controllers will be gravy, but I'm not looking for that right now with the Amico. 

But this pandemic seems to have really fscked with the timetable.. 

• Like 2

I have not followed one ounce of the drama.

I preordered it and forgot all about it.

It's going to be just fine for me. If it ultimately fails, I'm sure I will still get my enjoyment out of it.  I am looking forward to the reimaged classics. I will probably buy all physical versions they release and put them in a box in case they become sought after

• Like 4

TBH, no, not really.. All I truly care about is getting homebrews for the Mattel Inty and that's about it.. That's all I really need.

If it was at the original price point, then maybe, but we know that won't change.. as it is, I think I'm good. I wish them luck though.. I hope it succeeds.

“¯\_(ツ)_/¯“

Edited by SiLic0ne t0aD
  • Like 1

Honestly, I'm having fun getting into the Homebrew ROMs. $10 is am accessible price point, and these games look, play, and sound like the games I already enjoy on Intellivision.

What we need is some kinda way to download new roms direct from a centralized store front. Maybe via a an LTO Flash Cart with a Ethernet input?

• Like 2

The one thing I care about is developer support.  As long as I get a chance to put something out for Amico, I'll be happy.  Meanwhile, I'm keeping busy with my own Intellivision indie projects, and I can wait as long as it takes for launch.  I'm only speaking for myself though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mr_me said:

"I can't think of a time in the past where a video game company said the price was going to be x dollars and then raised it."

In January 1979 Mattel announced the Intellivision at $165.  Later that year it sold for $275; and that's without a pandemic.

There was a chip shortage:

The Intellivision was introduced at the 1979 Las Vegas CES in January as a modular home computer with the Master Component priced at US$165 and a soon-to-follow Keyboard Component also at $165 (equivalent to $590 in 2020).[21] At Chicago CES in June, prices were revised to $250 for each component. A shortage of key chips from manufacturer General Instrument resulted in a limited number of Intellivision Master Components produced that year. In Fall 1979, Sylvania marketed its own branded Intellivision at $280 in its GTE stores at Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Washington, D.C.[2] On December 3, Mattel delivered consoles to the Gottschalks department store chain headquartered in Fresno, California with a suggested list price of $275.[15][22] The Intellivision was also listed in the nationally distributed JCPenney Christmas 1979 catalog along with seven cartridges.[23] It was in stores nationwide by mid-1980 with the pack-in game Las Vegas Poker & Blackjack, and a library of ten cartridges. Mattel Electronics became a subsidiary in 1981.[5]

9 hours ago, Rev said:

There was a chip shortage:

The Intellivision was introduced at the 1979 Las Vegas CES in January as a modular home computer with the Master Component priced at US$165 and a soon-to-follow Keyboard Component also at $165 (equivalent to $590 in 2020).[21] At Chicago CES in June, prices were revised to $250 for each component. A shortage of key chips from manufacturer General Instrument resulted in a limited number of Intellivision Master Components produced that year. In Fall 1979, Sylvania marketed its own branded Intellivision at $280 in its GTE stores at Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Washington, D.C.[2] On December 3, Mattel delivered consoles to the Gottschalks department store chain headquartered in Fresno, California with a suggested list price of $275.[15][22] The Intellivision was also listed in the nationally distributed JCPenney Christmas 1979 catalog along with seven cartridges.[23] It was in stores nationwide by mid-1980 with the pack-in game Las Vegas Poker & Blackjack, and a library of ten cartridges. Mattel Electronics became a subsidiary in 1981.[5]

See,this just means the Amico is right on track.

Look how successful the Intellivision was after they got through their chip shortage. ?

• Like 2

And Mattel wanted Intellivision out for Christmas 1978, they even had a half dozen games ready.  So it was delayed a year, then only available in small quantities manufactured in the USA.  Sales took off in 1981 after they got production set up in Hong Kong, three year after their target launch date.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, wolfy62 said:

Look how successful the Intellivision was after they got through their chip shortage

Do you think it could have something to do with Intellivision having better hardware and software than Atari 2600, the-then market leader?

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-cXQjYdG_V2Y/UQ_4zhhwMII/AAAAAAAAGp8/ygq22lneA9s/s1600/intellivision+ad.jpg

Can you try remaking this ad with Amico? ?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mr_me said:

A lot of people are turned off of photorealism in videogames today, so their "weaker" graphics could have a positive effect for the audience they're going for.  But that won't be the focus of their marketing.

The "couch co-op" idea could probably be made into a Plimpton-style ad.  There was something I read in a console gaming magazine once about 20 years ago, which was a rebuttal to "Top 10 reasons why PC gaming is better".  The last point's rebuttal had to do with the multiplayer experience, and it went something like this:

Console multiplayer gaming means having three friends over for some beer and Goldeneye with an order of pizza on the way.  PC multiplayer gaming means sweaty adolescents with handles like AssMastar666 sitting in dark, dank basements, bitching about ping times.

Somebody could visualize that, and put it into a few different comparison ads.  Even better if the "other platform" displays far superior graphics, to prove the point that it's more about friends & family than about the home theater experience.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, youxia said:

Do you think it could have something to do with Intellivision having better hardware and software than Atari 2600, the-then market leader?

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-cXQjYdG_V2Y/UQ_4zhhwMII/AAAAAAAAGp8/ygq22lneA9s/s1600/intellivision+ad.jpg

Can you try remaking this ad with Amico? ?

No,because the Amico is not trying to directly compete against the Atari VCS.

But those are great pictures,and one of the many reasons I chose the Intellivision over the Atari 2600.

Mainly though,because the sports games and the graphics were just superior. 

• Like 1